donte greene might've been the smartest defection of all time | Syracusefan.com

donte greene might've been the smartest defection of all time

Millhouse

Living Legend
seeing southerland get the contract got me thinking about him and greene and how other guys shoot in the nba

greene shot 35% from 3 his freshman year

took 542 3 pointers in the nba and made 30% of them

they probably thought his shooting numbers would get better. had they known he might not have gotten a shot at all.

in the d league he shot 28% from 3

it's a miracle this guy got paid anything at all. guy can't shoot

Wes Johnson, Carmelo, Waiters, and Flynn are all pretty good. 34-35%

3 point shooting numbers are surprisingly low

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.cgi?college=syracuse

As I follow it as little as I can, what's the NBA's "standard" % for 3pt effectiveness?

seeing southerland get the contract got me thinking about him and greene and how other guys shoot in the nba

greene shot 35% from 3 his freshman year

took 542 3 pointers in the nba and made 30% of them

they probably thought his shooting numbers would get better. had they known he might not have gotten a shot at all.

in the d league he shot 28% from 3

it's a miracle this guy got paid anything at all. guy can't shoot

Wes Johnson, Carmelo, Waiters, and Flynn are all pretty good. 34-35%

3 point shooting numbers are surprisingly low

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.cgi?college=syracuse
I don't understand why someone 6'11" would need to shoot three's.. I know the NBA likes shooters - but he would've been better off hitting the weights and learning to play in the paint..

I don't understand why someone 6'11" would need to shoot three's.. I know the NBA likes shooters - but he would've been better off hitting the weights and learning to play in the paint..

Hypothetical "Stretch 4" or "big guard" is one the most valuable positions in basketball.
In the NBA game w/ players like Kevin Love, you clear the paint for your guards and big men to operate- whereas the big guards can always get their shots off versus opposing smaller guards.
Its a good twist to have available on your team.

3>2

As others have mentioned, 36% is the NBA average. However, I've always considered 33% the benchmark at any level. If you shoot 6 threes and make two, you have 6 points. Assuming the standard for 2 point shots is 50%, if you shoot 6 and make 3, you have 6 points. Makes the most sense to me.

That said, 30% is not terrible and, theoretically, very good for a 6'10" player. Greene just can't do anything else very well on the court.

Briancuse said:
That and it is a lot easier to become a good three point shooter than it is becoming a good post player.

Don't see how one is easier than the other especially a lot easier. So Rak would have an easier time becoming a 3 PT shooter than learning post moves? Let's do it.

This is basically a 4 game audition. I wonder if he gets paid the full 10 day contract or if you like it's paid for four games. Does anybody know how much James will be making for the four games or the 10 day contract?

Don't see how one is easier than the other especially a lot easier. So Rak would have an easier time becoming a 3 PT shooter than learning post moves? Let's do it.

I am talking about guys who already good shooters. Look how long it takes to develop good post players. and look how few there are in the game.

Donte's the 7th best 3 point shooter in the history of Syracuse player in the NBA!

5th in total attempts...

Maybe you should factor in that making 33% of your shots gives the other team a much better than 50% chance of getting the ball back without you scoring. In other words, they get more chances to score the more you shoot 3s instead of 2s.

As others have mentioned, 36% is the NBA average. However, I've always considered 33% the benchmark at any level. If you shoot 6 threes and make two, you have 6 points. Assuming the standard for 2 point shots is 50%, if you shoot 6 and make 3, you have 6 points. Makes the most sense to me.

That said, 30% is not terrible and, theoretically, very good for a 6'10" player. Greene just can't do anything else very well on the court.

Last edited:
Maybe you should factor in that making 33% of your shots gives the other team a much better than 50% chance of getting the ball back without you scoring. In other words, they get more chances to score the more you shoot 3s instead of 2s.

I don't really think that would matter. They would get the ball via defensive rebounds more often, but their total number of possessions wouldn't change significantly. And you would have the same number of points either way, assuming you shot percentages in line with the general guidlines I go by.

This is probably side-tracking the thread, though.

That and it is a lot easier to become a good three point shooter than it is becoming a good post player.

i think think it's easier for 6'11 guys to go by the basket and be 6'11

i don't know what made me think of this (big guys shooting threes) but i'll never understand how boeheim let ovcina shoot 150 three pointers. he was fine his soph more season and then shot 21% his junior and senior year combined

ha he shot 38% from three in germany in 2012-2013. who knows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom