Drop back passers vs 'All-purpose' QBs | Syracusefan.com

Drop back passers vs 'All-purpose' QBs

BostonOrange

2nd String
I looked at QBs for top 10 teams over the last three years (yes I'm a loser) and...

2012: 7 all-purpose, 3 drop back (McCarron, Murray from UGA, and EJ Manuel). Manuel one could argue was all purpose. South Carolina played 2 qb's but the main guy, Shaw, was more of a runner
2011: 4 all purpose, 6 drop back (Mccarron, Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Weeden, Luck, Kellen Moore from Boise)
2010: 5 of each. Drop backs were Mcelroy, Andy Dalton, Luck, Landry Jones, and Kellen Moore

So, I guess you can win with either. But I think it is interesting that most of the drop back guys, with a couple exceptions, went on to the NFL. I also think that unless you have elite WR's it is really tough as a pure drop back guy in college.

I looked at QBs for top 10 teams over the last three years (yes I'm a loser) and...

2012: 7 all-purpose, 3 drop back (McCarron, Murray from UGA, and EJ Manuel). Manuel one could argue was all purpose. South Carolina played 2 qb's but the main guy, Shaw, was more of a runner
2011: 4 all purpose, 6 drop back (Mccarron, Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Weeden, Luck, Kellen Moore from Boise)
2010: 5 of each. Drop backs were Mcelroy, Andy Dalton, Luck, Landry Jones, and Kellen Moore

So, I guess you can win with either. But I think it is interesting that most of the drop back guys, with a couple exceptions, went on to the NFL. I also think that unless you have elite WR's it is really tough as a pure drop back guy in college.
I wonder about the next ten. The top ten are so loaded, they can make anything work

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You could also argue Murray is all-purpose. He was more of a runner as a freshman. He's evolved into more of a drop back guy but can still run.

Does SU have an "all-purpose" QB on the roster outside of Kimble?

Does SU have an "all-purpose" QB on the roster outside of Kimble?

If you look at ESPN stuff people seem to just assume Hunt is more of an all-purpose QB than Allen. I wonder what trait could possibly view him as a runner, despite the fact that by most accounts he's no faster than Allen.