Duke 43 trey attempts... | Syracusefan.com

Duke 43 trey attempts...

hungrychuck

All Conference
...I thought that was a lot when I first saw the stat, but then it's 2019 and maybe I'm still a few years back and perpetually catching up.

Or maybe not. On cursory review, that's about twice as many as they take in a game, including tonight's stats.

And it's a lot more than the average for the most trey-shooting team in D1 this year.

So we can credit zone, and also Duke pretty much playing into our hands.

That may be the stat of the game.

And BTW, 9 for 43 -- 21%.

Probably should have just gone inside to Zion every play.

I think you're right. They could have fouled out all of our centers. Or "centers" I guess.

Still have trouble thinking of MD as a traditional center.

Probably should have just gone inside to Zion every play.

The biggest adjustment in the game was that in the second half, we turned off the entry pass to Z from the top. I don’t know if was Franks absence in the first half or what (will have to rewatch) but they were easily entering the ball to him with a simple bounce pass from the top in the first half and it was really shut down in the second. Because honestly that dude converted just about every single touch into points.

The biggest adjustment in the game was that in the second half, we turned off the entry pass to Z from the top. I don’t know if was Franks absence in the first half or what (will have to rewatch) but they were easily entering the ball to him with a simple bounce pass from the top in the first half and it was really shut down in the second. Because honestly that dude converted just about every single touch into points.

That’s right, and I’m sure that is why Jack White was perpetually open. Our guards sagged off the three line and Frank did everything in his power to block that pass in to Zion.

You win by the three and you die by the three. That’s why regardless of what you think about Girard , he possibly could be a very important player next year. If you can shoot 40% from the three-point line it really opens things up. And i am not necessarily a Girard fan.

I think Coach K had a rough night. Think he thought they could ride out the Jones injury and then got caught up in encouraging role players pressed into prime time while neglecting or forgetting that he still had the two best players on the floor and they weren't seeing the ball enough. We adjusted and made it tougher for Zion but it's K's job to adjust after that. Last night he didn't.

I think Coach K had a rough night. Think he thought they could ride out the Jones injury and then got caught up in encouraging role players pressed into prime time while neglecting or forgetting that he still had the two best players on the floor and they weren't seeing the ball enough. We adjusted and made it tougher for Zion but it's K's job to adjust after that. Last night he didn't.

I don't think their game plan was that bad we clearly came to play which K knew would happen.

He didn't trust a young team to be able to break down the zone so tried to run us out of the gym.

We just hit too many shots. We also never let them get a comfortable lead when they were the home team and one run to push it to double digit likely means game over.

...I thought that was a lot when I first saw the stat, but then it's 2019 and maybe I'm still a few years back and perpetually catching up.

Or maybe not. On cursory review, that's about twice as many as they take in a game, including tonight's stats.

And it's a lot more than the average for the most trey-shooting team in D1 this year.

So we can credit zone, and also Duke pretty much playing into our hands.

That may be the stat of the game.

And BTW, 9 for 43 -- 21%.

It's like Duke watched Syracuse's terrible game-plan from Saturday and said "Hey, we can do that!"

They took 50 shots between the two.
Should have taken 60 and how many did each get on his own? They got away from focusing their attack. Our adjustments helped but they gave up on it too.

It's like Duke watched Syracuse's terrible game-plan from Saturday and said "Hey, we can do that!"
That's the beauty of our Zone D... I don't think any of their 3-pt attempts were "bad" shots... but a well-designed defense can absolutely force a team into taking shots that they're probably coached not to take.

That's what happened to us on Saturday against Georgia Tech - their defense was really good, but so much of the reaction on our side was to suggest that the game has passed Boeheim by or that he had lost the team. Nonsense. Hardly anybody was willing to give credit to a defense that I don't think any of us have really seen before... Pastner has developed an interesting wrinkle to their zone - their guards actively defended the foul line/high post area in a way that we really don't - and our guys (and our coaches) didn't counter it well enough. I hope we don't see them again in the ACC Tournament, but if we do, my money will be on Boeheim figuring out a better game plan and geting the W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom