Duke is also dealing with K's retirement speculations | Syracusefan.com

Duke is also dealing with K's retirement speculations

miamicuse

Starter

Doesn't seem like they are being negatively impacted, recruiting wise?

Also interesting that K's grandson is a walk on and some of dates being speculated are tied to his graduation date.

Last edited:
Duke has not dealt with sanctions and so have been recruiting the very best in their usual sickening way. (I actually like Duke, but sometimes I can only take so much.) They are not as vulnerable as we are. Sometimes I think that Boeheim is waiting for K to retire, and then he’ll work two more years to try to beat K’s win record. Is that a weird thought?

Doesn't seem like they are being negatively impacted, recruiting wise?
K takes mostly one and dones and tells them, “yes, I’ll be coaching you next season.” Boeheim takes at best 2 & dones plus 4 year players. Recruits for any school are rightly concerned about whether or not the coach who recruited them will be their coach in 2-3 seasons.

K takes mostly one and dones and tells them, “yes, I’ll be coaching you next season.” Boeheim takes at best 2 & dones plus 4 year players. Recruits for any school are rightly concerned about whether or not the coach who recruited them will be their coach in 2-3 seasons.

So by this logic, one and dones are not concerned about how much longer the coach will remain beyond their one season there.

BUT,

(1) Syracuse is not getting one and dones (unless you count Ennis and Richardson, who ended up bring O&Ds but didn't start out that way) not because JB don't want them, but because they chose other schools. Some suggested JB's retirement uncertainty is a factor in losing top recruits, but that can't be if you are saying those players don't care about one year beyond. Top recruits aren't coming due to other reasons besides how long JB is staying.

(2) Recruiting is a long game. They don't start recruiting someone during their senior year. These players are probably making contacts in their sophomore and junior year the latest, so from that time, projecting all the way from then to after the players freshman year in college, we are talking about 3-4 years.

So by this logic, one and dones are not concerned about how much longer the coach will remain beyond their one season there.

BUT,

(1) Syracuse is not getting one and dones (unless you count Ennis and Richardson, who ended up bring O&Ds but didn't start out that way) not because JB don't want them, but because they chose other schools. Some suggested JB's retirement uncertainty is a factor in losing top recruits, but that can't be if you are saying those players don't care about one year beyond. Top recruits aren't coming due to other reasons besides how long JB is staying.

(2) Recruiting is a long game. They don't start recruiting someone during their senior year. These players are probably making contacts in their sophomore and junior year the latest, so from that time, projecting all the way from then to after the players freshman year in college, we are talking about 3-4 years.

It's very simple . The Top 100 kids don't want to play for JB, but they will play for Hop..

Why in the world would any recruit think a coach will be around beyond 2 years and be concerned? Basketball fortunes turn on a dime. A coach has a great 2 years and he's gone to a bigger, better school. A bad 2 years and he's fired. A new coach may get more leeway but his ability is unknown. Exceptions are some of the top level jobs but even those can run a foul NCAA sanctions. And with all the college coaches over 65, why is JB singled out with this problem?

Why in the world would any recruit think a coach will be around beyond 2 years and be concerned? Basketball fortunes turn on a dime. A coach has a great 2 years and he's gone to a bigger, better school. A bad 2 years and he's fired. A new coach may get more leeway but his ability is unknown. Exceptions are some of the top level jobs but even those can run a foul NCAA sanctions. And with all the college coaches over 65, why is JB singled out with this problem?
Ok.

BUT,

I’m not sure what you’re saying here. I thought you were wondering why K doesn’t have problems recruiting due to his age like Boeheim does and you use recruits from 5 & nearly 8 years ago as your examples of something?

I’m not sure what you’re saying here. I thought you were wondering why K doesn’t have problems recruiting due to his age like Boeheim does and you use recruits from 5 & nearly 8 years ago as your examples of something?

I don't follow your comment about 5 and 8 years. The two articles I linked are from September and October of 2019. So yes, locals are hanging on K's every word and guess when he is going to retire, whether it will be another year or two, or till his grandson graduates, and how that may or may not affect recruiting.

The same talk going on here about JB's possible retirement dates, is going on at Duke. Some suggested this uncertainty is what's affecting our recruiting results, yet it doesn't seem to be affecting Duke's. My point is, whatever is causing our recent recruiting to drop off, whether it's bad luck, JB's personality, the zone, the relationship building with the assistant coaches, sanctions, Hop's departure, whatever, I am thinking JB's age/retirement may not be as big a factor.

Your opinion that it doesn't affect Duke like it may be affecting Cuse because Duke is getting one and dones so the recruits are only looking at one year ahead. What I was pointing out is Duke doesn't go make first contact with a recruit on their senior year and say yeah, I'll be coaching next year. They reach out to recruits on the sophomore and the latest junior year. At that time, K telling them he would be coaching "next year" doesn't do anything because they wouldn't even have graduated by then. He would have to tell them he will still be coaching for at least 3-4 years ahead to make sure their one and done year is included.

I don't follow your comment about 5 and 8 years. The two articles I linked are from September and October of 2019. So yes, locals are hanging on K's every word and guess when he is going to retire, whether it will be another year or two, or till his grandson graduates, and how that may or may not affect recruiting.

The same talk going on here about JB's possible retirement dates, is going on at Duke. Some suggested this uncertainty is what's affecting our recruiting results, yet it doesn't seem to be affecting Duke's. My point is, whatever is causing our recent recruiting to drop off, whether it's bad luck, JB's personality, the zone, the relationship building with the assistant coaches, sanctions, Hop's departure, whatever, I am thinking JB's age/retirement may not be as big a factor.

Your opinion that it doesn't affect Duke like it may be affecting Cuse because Duke is getting one and dones so the recruits are only looking at one year ahead. What I was pointing out is Duke doesn't go make first contact with a recruit on their senior year and say yeah, I'll be coaching next year. They reach out to recruits on the sophomore and the latest junior year. At that time, K telling them he would be coaching "next year" doesn't do anything because they wouldn't even have graduated by then. He would have to tell them he will still be coaching for at least 3-4 years ahead to make sure their one and done year is included.
Except--Duke and UK, etc., don't necessarily develop relationships with some of these blue chips years in advance. They have the luxury of waiting until the summer before the senior year to toss their hat into the ring. See Green, Quade.

Many of the kids who don't sign early are holding off in hopes of getting a Duke/UK offer when the rosters clear again next spring. Which is why spring 2020 should be interesting, because both squads have fewer NBA-ready prospects than usual, and there may not be roster slots available. (Look at the Quentin Grimes situation. "Tested the waters", told he wasn't ready by the NBA scouts, but unable to return to KU as they had filled his roster spot.)

I realize the top recruits are committing later and later, that doesn't mean Duke and UK don't start recruiting them till their senior season.

In fact, both K and John Scheyer went to see Lebron James Jr. play earlier this year, as a potential 2023 class recruit.

Plenty of top recruits currently in their junior year are already holding offers from Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC...they may not commit till later but if they are juniors now and holding offers, when do you think the schools made first contact? Kennedy Chandler a junior point guard has a FEW DOZEN offers (but not from Duke yet), and he wants to play with his buddy Paolo Banchero, also a top recruit.

Quade Green was a unique situation, everyone had penciled him go to Cuse, then Hop leaves, UK took advantage and grabbed him last minute.

Yes I think the heavy one and done attending UK and Duke does create some last minute decisions and opportunities for recruits who are waiting to see who stays and who leaves and base their commitments from there, but I do not believe these school start recruiting them last minute.

Are we wondering why top recruits are going to Duke?

I realize the top recruits are committing later and later, that doesn't mean Duke and UK don't start recruiting them till their senior season.

In fact, both K and John Scheyer went to see Lebron James Jr. play earlier this year, as a potential 2023 class recruit.

Plenty of top recruits currently in their junior year are already holding offers from Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC...they may not commit till later but if they are juniors now and holding offers, when do you think the schools made first contact? Kennedy Chandler a junior point guard has a FEW DOZEN offers (but not from Duke yet), and he wants to play with his buddy Paolo Banchero, also a top recruit.

Quade Green was a unique situation, everyone had penciled him go to Cuse, then Hop leaves, UK took advantage and grabbed him last minute.

Yes I think the heavy one and done attending UK and Duke does create some last minute decisions and opportunities for recruits who are waiting to see who stays and who leaves and base their commitments from there, but I do not believe these school start recruiting them last minute.
Re: Q Green--you have the timeline wrong. Green committed to UK in Nov. 2016. Hopkins got the UW job in March 2017.