Dungey | Syracusefan.com

Dungey

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 11m11 minutes ago Oak Park, IL
Good Dungey story here. Includes concussion history (2), interesting perspective from his father.

"A day earlier, he suffered his second concussion of the season in the closing minutes of a loss at Louisville"

What a mistake that was and entirely preventable. 41-10 at the time 4:21 left.

"A day earlier, he suffered his second concussion of the season in the closing minutes of a loss at Louisville"

It's nice to see acknowledgement that Dungey suffered two concussions last season. There were plenty of Baghdad Bob's on this forum denying the obvious last season.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

If there is one quote to be placed on the Shafer SU head coach headstone, it is the one he offered up about Dungey and a "come back" after the Louisville game. I give coaches a wide berth when it comes to playing time decisions, but having him in there, when he's already suffered one concussion and is known to not adequately protect himself, was utterly preposterous.

Absolutely. Nice a guy as he may be, I was done with him in that instant.
If there is one quote to be placed on the Shafer SU head coach headstone, it is the one he offered up about Dungey and a "come back" after the Louisville game. I give coaches a wide berth when it comes to playing time decisions, but having him in there, when he's already suffered one concussion and is known to not adequately protect himself, was utterly preposterous.

leftytg said:
It's nice to see acknowledgement that Dungey suffered two concussions last season. There were plenty of Baghdad Bob's on this forum denying the obvious last season.

No. Truth is people were saying he had a bunch with no real evidence aside from what we all saw on TV and then making judgements based off of it.

Concussions are so individual and affect people differently that saying anything definite was a joke. Was it probable? Sure. But not concrete, at all.

I said at the time: the school/staff, Dungey, and his family are the only ones that know for sure. And where did this concrete info come from? His Dad.

No. Truth is people were saying he had a bunch with no real evidence aside from what we all saw on TV and then making judgements based off of it.

Concussions are so individual and affect people differently that saying anything definite was a joke. Was it probable? Sure. But not concrete, at all.

I said at the time: the school/staff, Dungey, and his family are the only ones that know for sure. And where did this concrete info come from? His Dad.
it was obvious to anyone who wasn't dug in defending Shafer. You are being disingenuous and revisionist in framing your argument. Everyone acknowledged they were not the doctor examing Dungey. Nobody was claiming ironclad, first hand knowledge of the actual diagnosis. Those claiming he surely had a concussion said so because it was obvious based on the circumstantial evidence, that is to say based on the severity of the hit, how recent the CMU one was and Dungey's affect and demeanor in the immediate aftermath made it highly probable that a concussion had occurred. Which, by the way, is exactly what it ended up being. There was an actual doctor making actual informed observations on why what he saw closely correlated with a concussion, and some people wouldn't even consider it. Given all the factors at hand, it was entirely reasonable to presume a concussion had happened until being told otherwise.

Like it or not, we make judgments and come to conclusions based on circumstantial evidence all the time. Our entire legal system depends on it. Insisting on a standard of actual, concrete knowledge before believing something is true is unrealistic - especially on a message board. I mean, if you really want to play this game - why is the info from Dungey's father considered "concrete"? Afterall, he isn't under oath. He wouldn't be the first person to lie to the media. For that matter, you seem to accept the article's assertion that there was a second concussion. Why do you assume it is from Dungey's father? The article just asserts there was a concussion after the Louisville game, no direct quote is attributed. If you are going to insist on "concrete", that article doesn't get you there.

I still think the CMU defender should have been suspended for six games.

One of the worst hits I have ever seen at the college level.

I think an angry mob of Cuse fans should have given him a severe beatdown.

leftytg said:
it was obvious to anyone who wasn't dug in defending Shafer. You are being disingenuous and revisionist in framing your argument. Everyone acknowledged they were not the doctor examing Dungey. Nobody was claiming ironclad, first hand knowledge of the actual diagnosis. Those claiming he surely had a concussion said so because it was obvious based on the circumstantial evidence, that is to say based on the severity of the hit, how recent the CMU one was and Dungey's affect and demeanor in the immediate aftermath made it highly probable that a concussion had occurred. Which, by the way, is exactly what it ended up being. There was an actual doctor making actual informed observations on why what he saw closely correlated with a concussion, and some people wouldn't even consider it. Given all the factors at hand, it was entirely reasonable to presume a concussion had happened until being told otherwise. Like it or not, we make judgments and come to conclusions based on circumstantial evidence all the time. Our entire legal system depends on it. Insisting on a standard of actual, concrete knowledge before believing something is true is unrealistic - especially on a message board. I mean, if you really want to play this game - why is the info from Dungey's father considered "concrete"? Afterall, he isn't under oath. He wouldn't be the first person to lie to the media. For that matter, you seem to accept the article's assertion that there was a second concussion. Why do you assume it is from Dungey's father? The article just asserts there was a concussion after the Louisville game, no direct quote is attributed. If you are going to insist on "concrete", that article doesn't get you there.

Ha! This is fun. So it was reasonable to assume he had how many concussions exactly? Was Pitt? Took a nasty hit then, looked unconscious.

My point then is the same now: it's not "reasonable" to assume anything when it comes to head injuries, because we don't know. What we know is he got hit and left the field, not to return. He was then ruled out. What is gained by speculation?

I think it's reasonable to make judgement calls and opinions on a whole lot of things on a message board, but something a highly trained and educated professional has a difficult time diagnosing properly is not something worth exploring.

My opinion of Shafer had nothing to do with it then and my opinion of Babers won't affect it now. Leave the diagnosis to the professionals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom