Early KenPom | Syracusefan.com

Early KenPom

RealMcNeil

Master of the House / Keeper of the Inn
‘Cuse sitting at 52 right now, just 3 spots behind Hop and UW. Fascinating given the attitudes / takes around here lately. Not saying I think this is a great team, maybe not even good, but there are many other ACC teams behind as it sits. Speaks to the parity in NCAAB this year.

‘Cuse sitting at 52 right now, just 3 spots behind Hop and UW. Fascinating given the attitudes / takes around here lately. Not saying I think this is a great team, maybe not even good, but there are many other ACC teams behind as it sits. Speaks to the parity in NCAAB this year.

It is weird. Have seen Washington beat a good Baylor team and lose a close game to Gonzaga and a ranked Tennesee team. Have seen Cuse beat the brakes off of GT but any other opponent that is better than bad we've gotten our butts handed to us.

I'm an advanced stats kind of guy but watching every game by both teams Washington is hands down a far better team than Syracuse this year and it's not close.

2 parts to every team.. how well they play and how well we shoot.. sometimes playing poorly gets you into bad shots like UV.. but the other games we shoot horribly and thats on us.

on offense we are movin better, getting better shots. but we lack the ability to get easy baskets and thats not all about how well you play.

on defense, its been ok, not great, but you have to rebound and not make bad turnovers to gift points.

shoot in the middle of GT/Bucknell and the Virg game and we can compete

so many kids that we can get better pretty easily.. but if we dont make shots it wont be pretty

If Sid can stay bouncy (yet still gangly and somewhat uncoordinated) we will be in way more of the games the rest of the slate.

It is weird. Have seen Washington beat a good Baylor team and lose a close game to Gonzaga and a ranked Tennesee team. Have seen Cuse beat the brakes off of GT but any other opponent that is better than bad we've gotten our butts handed to us.

I'm an advanced stats kind of guy but watching every game by both teams Washington is hands down a far better team than Syracuse this year and it's not close.
advanced stats guy but then use the eye test.

advanced stats guy but then use the eye test.

I've been into sabermetrics for a long long time. I remember when advanced stats said Robinson Cano really wasn't as great as people thought and he ended up busting out. Sometimes they're not great predictors to the future. I don't think Washington is just 3 sports better than Syracuse. Do you think they're that even and if they are based on what other than kenpom?

I'd be curious to see how long it takes KenPom's rankings to stabilize into something that's useful. In Nov/Dec all these teams are beating up on mid-majors and lower D1 schools. There are a handful of upsets here and there as teams get their legs under them and settle into a rotation.

Out of the 351 D1 basketball schools, there are only 65 P5 schools - so maybe 52 ain't so hot. That said, they're ranking better than I would have guessed based on the eye test.

had we won one of the 3 big games before GT we would probably be much higher and not really much better

We moved up about 20 spots after the Georgia Tech game. We were in the 70's before that.
And we were in the low 40s before the disaster in the Big Apple. We’re a young team. I think we’ll improve, but how much remains to be seen.

The blowout wins against Bucknell and Georgia Tech really inflate the current rankings. Not to say we can't stay at #52, but those are the biggest reasons we are at #52. If we had jwon those games by much smaller margins we would be in the 60's or 70's.

These type of games stabilize over the year, but with less than 10 games played they make a big difference.

They also have more of an impact when you are in the middle of the pack.

The blowout wins against Bucknell and Georgia Tech really inflate the current rankings. Not to say we can't stay at #52, but those are the biggest reasons we are at #52. If we had jwon those games by much smaller margins we would be in the 60's or 70's.

These type of games stabilize over the year, but with less than 10 games played they make a big difference.

It means something to the algorithms when a team puts up 97 points, twice. It should register with humans like yourself as well.

ANd it works the other way too. We had 3 frustrating double digit losses (all three around 20 points or more) that moved us down. If this young team improves its efficiency and doesn’t get blown out in ACC play and wins some games, they have a chance to go up more.

ANd it works the other way too. We had 3 frustrating double digit losses (all three around 20 points or more) that moved us down. If this young team improves its efficiency and doesn’t get blown out in ACC play and wins some games, they have a chance to go up more.

You are not incorrect, but I think when people assess the team they look at the worst results, and may only look at the Bucknell and Georgia Tech games as wins against moderate teams, and not consider how good the margin was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom