Edson Memorial Service | Syracusefan.com

Edson Memorial Service

Marrone & Pete Sala were pall bearers. Pretty touching.

Everyone exited the Chapel to the SU Fight Song. What a tribute.

Thank you Rob Edson.

I'm going to preface my comment with this: please take my next comment in the context it is meant in, respect.

That is like a dream come true to me. I hope when I pass, I have the same memorial.

RIP Rob

Marrone & Pete Sala were pall bearers. Pretty touching.

Everyone exited the Chapel to the SU Fight Song. What a tribute.

Thank you Rob Edson.
Rob's son Thomas gave a great tribute to his father. I cried through the whole thing and still can't get my mind off of it even now, two hours later. Cannot wait to get home and hug my kids tonight. We need to cherish every second we get. Farewell Rob Edson, you will be missed dearly.

I too watched the service from afar, though I'd never met Rob.
Thomas did a splendid job. Sue should be very proud of him.
The fight song seemed very fitting.

Rob's son Thomas gave a great tribute to his father. I cried through the whole thing and still can't get my mind off of it even now, two hours later. Cannot wait to get home and hug my kids tonight. We need to cherish every second we get. Farewell Rob Edson, you will be missed dearly.
Yup. When I'm 45 my son and daughter will be 14 and 11 exactly as Rob's. I've thought about that all day...RIP

Don't have much to add for those who watched the service on the web, except to say it was incredibly emotional to be there. I sat next to Juli Boeheim ... and she cried throughout the service. Rob had a very close relationship with JB --- and, by extension, with Juli.

Following the service, everyone there ... and I do mean EVERYONE in that packed Chapel......was invited to the Edson home for a reception which was arranged by (and I assume paid for by) Onondaga Community College. It was absolutely first class ... all kinds of hot and cold foods, luscious desserts, plentiful seating under a huge tent on their front lawn and a separate tent with a fully stocked bar. OCC thought of everything. They even provided Porta-Potties which were placed in a neighbor's driveway (with permission of the neighbor). Nice job, OCC.

Sue and Thomas chatted with all the guests (several hundred of them) and were constantly being hugged by them. I think it was a very cathartic experience for them... much more so than standing in a funeral home and shaking thousands of hands (which they did yesterday).

The reception was scheduled to run from 1 to 7 p.m., but I left at 3 in order to drive home to CT. The Boeheim's were there the entire time I was there, but the Marrone's could not be there because Doug had to catch a plane right after the service to get to where the Bills are playing this weekend.

Last edited:
Don't have much to add for those who watched the service on the web, except to say it was incredibly emotional to be there. I sat next to Juli Boeheim ... and she cried throughout the service. Rob had a very close relationship with JB --- and, by extension, with Juli.

Following the service, everyone there ... and I do mean EVERYONE in that packed Chapel......was invited to the Edson home for a reception which was organized by (and I assume paid for by) Onondaga Community College. It was absolutely first class ... all kinds of hot and cold foods, luscious desserts, plentiful seating under a huge tent on their front lawn and a separate tent with a fully stocked bar. OCC thought of everything. They even provided Porta-Potties which were placed in a neighbor's driveway (with permission of the neighbor).

Sue and Thomas chatted with all the guests (several hundred of them) and were constantly being hugged by them. I think it was a very cathartic experience for them... much more so than standing in a funeral home and shaking thousands of hands (which they did yesterday).

The reception was scheduled to run from 1 to 7 p.m., but I left at 3 in order to drive home to CT. The Boeheim's were there the entire time I was there, but the Marrone's could not be there because Doug had to catch a plane right after the service to get to where the Bills are playing this weekend.

Not much more to add as well, but wanted to add that everything from the calling hours to the funeral to the reception at the Edson home was first class just like Rob & Sue. I haven't cried or laughed so much in ages as I have in the last day and a half. It felt good to see all the outpouring of affection for Rob. He was truly a great man and it makes me want to do better to emulate all the great qualities of Rob in my own life.

On Thomas' speech, like many I also am not ashamed to say that I cried hearing him tell stories of his dad. What a great kid! So mature and composed given the situation. I wish I had the strength he has at 14 now at 45. Rob and Sue should be commended for raising such a wonderful young man. The other tough parts for me today was looking down and seeing the hugs between Sue and her kids or when Thomas hugged his sister alone. All of the speakers did a great job of capturing a little piece of what made Rob so special. I'm so glad that I was able to be a part of it and in a small way to honor Rob & support Sue, Thomas and Tracy.

Great seeing you Joyce and hopefully next time it will be under more pleasant circumstances. I wish I didn't have to get to work and had been able to stay longer at the reception. RIP Rob. I love you man.

One thing I forgot. At the reception, I told Sue how impressed I was with Thomas' remarks and composure. She said it was not her idea for him to speak. She said, much to her surprise and apprehension, he volunteered and said he WANTED to speak. After he convinced Sue he really wanted to do it, he went to his room and wrote his talk. Sue (who's a professional communicator) said neither she nor anyone else edited it ... or changed a single word in it. Wow, just wow. I can't imagine a 14-year-old writing something so beautiful... and delivering it with such composure. Good parenting job, Rob and Sue.

Last edited:
I just now got to look at the photos from the service. The picture of his son showing so much composure tore me apart. If I do anything in my life like Rob Edson, I hope it's being a dad like he clearly was. RIP.

I just now got to look at the photos from the service. The picture of his son showing so much composure tore me apart. If I do anything in my life like Rob Edson, I hope it's being a dad like he clearly was. RIP.
From what I know of you on this board, I have no doubt that you will be that very dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom