Edwards, Frank, Sid | Syracusefan.com

Edwards, Frank, Sid

kcsu

Living Legend
Edwards and Frank need to play. If Sid is healthy we can get away with one of them playing but we are not competitive against physical teams with Marek at the 5.
Im a big fan of Marek on the offensive end of the floor and as a 3 or 4 on D.
Using him at the 5 has morphed from emergency use to fulltime which isn't a winning decision and more importantly isnt necessary. Edwards and Frank are better options defensively against physical teams.
Personally i wish JB would try a few different combinations and go big at times. Edwards has great hands and is extremely coordinated for a big. Marek has 3 skills and Q is tough on the boards.
Edwards 5
Q 4
Marek 3
Buddy2
Kadary 1

Would be our most physical and biggest team. This is a combo id like to see against physical teams especially when we have a lead late.
Frank is a talented player. According to the coaches he is the most athletic 5 we have had in years. Lets hope he gets some run before he transfers.
As to Sid he has been hampered by injuries his entire career. Hopefully he can return but history doesn't bode well for being able to count on it.
Bottom line is Marek simply isnt good enough at the 5 to warrant Edwards and Frank not playing and we cant count on Sid staying healthy. Play the kids.

Edwards and Frank need to play. If Sid is healthy we can get away with one of them playing but we are not competitive against physical teams with Marek at the 5.
Using him at the 5 has morphed from emergency use to fulltime which isn't a winning decision and more importantly isnt necessary. Edwards and Frank are better options defensively against physical teams.
Personally i wish JB would try a few different combinations and go big at times. Edwards has great hands and is extremely coordinated for a big. Marek has 3 skills and Q is tough on the boards.
Edwards 5
Q 4
Marek 3
Buddy2
Kadary 1

Would be our most physical and biggest team. This is a combo id like to see against physical teams especially when we have a lead late.
Frank is a talented player. According to the coaches he is the most athletic 5 we have had in years. Lets hope he gets some run before he transfers.
As to Sid he has been hampered by injuries his entire career. Hopefully he can return but history doesn't bode well for being able to count on it.
Bottom line is Marek simply isnt good enough at the 5 to warrant Edwards and Frank not playing and we cant count on Sid staying healthy. Play the kids.
I take issue with your thoughts on physical play.

I don’t know where you have come up with the notion that Edwards is a physical player. I have seen no evidence of this so far in his career. Things might change but he is a tentative, finesse guy so far. Hard to pass judgement on how he is progressing given how little he has played.

The one game Frank got some meaningful playing time, he was completely abused inside and ended up with a -12 plus minus. I have seen no sign of physical play from him either.

JBA is the only big who has shown some willingness to bang inside and play a little physical. That is likely the reason he has been the first big off the bench in the rotation.

Putting Marek on your ‘most physical team’ is also kind of bizarre, given you have benched Griffin, who is one of the most physical players on the team, and clearly a better rebounder than Marek. Just because you are tall doesn’t make you physical, or a good rebounder.

Towards that end, I also disagree with putting Buddy on your all physical team. He is another finesse guy that isn’t comfortable battling in the trenches. I would take JGIII over Buddy as far as being a physical player. But if you really wanted an all physical team, you would have Kadary and Griff at guard, with JBA, Q and probably Woody. He and Marek are pretty close.

When Sidibe comes back, he, JBA, Q Kadary and Griff would be our most physical pairing. But Q, Griff and Kadary are the only true junk yard dogs on the team. JB values skill over heart. Hopefully you find players with a lot of both.

Towards that end, I also disagree with putting Buddy on your all physical team. He is another finesse guy that isn’t comfortable battling in the trenches. I would take JGIII over Buddy as far as being a physical player. But if you really wanted an all physical team, you would have Kadary and Griff at guard, with JBA, Q and probably Woody. He and Marek are pretty close.

When Sidibe comes back, he, JBA, Q Kadary and Griff would be our most physical pairing. But Q, Griff and Kadary are the only true junk yard dogs on the team. JB values skill over heart. Hopefully you find players with a lot of both.

That seems like a reasonable option we could go with in instances. We haven't tried it much, although I do feel like we saw it briefly in at least one game.

Regardless, we're starving for some meat inside and I'm not sure we are going to do much other than continue to rely heavily on Marek regardless of Sid's return. JBA and Frank had moments where they looked like they may be ready to provide some depth, not many, but some - and they definitely don't provide much muscle.

Respectfully, where is Griffin? Or do you see him as a 6th man?...(note I did not ask where is Girard)
Griff is a 2 or 3. I see Kadary and Joe at 1. Griff Buddy 2.
Griff can play the 3 but hes a natural 2. Joe is actually a natural 2

Griff is a 2 or 3. I see Kadary and Joe at 1. Griff Buddy 2.
Griff can play the 3 but hes a natural 2. Joe is actually a natural 2
At least these are opinions that are based on on-court performance, unlike the assertions you made with absolute certainty above ("Edwards and Frank are better options defensively against physical teams" "Marek simply isnt good enough at the 5 to warrant Edwards and Frank not playing"). As Tomcat pointed out, the evidence we have on Edwards play to date is that he is finesse player, who was pushed around as much or more than Marek, fouled more often, and was out of position more often. There is almost no evidence to decide what type of player Frank is at this point in his development. That perception could change big time if/when these players have an extended on-court opportunity. But that's the point, "we" don't know.

Your real issue (over and over and over again) is with JB's decision making.

Studs: Quincy, Marek, Kadary, Griffin - these are the guys we need to ride. Our best overall basketball players as far as doing multiple things well and are future potential NBA players(probably not Marek - but he’s an experienced and well rounded Senior).

Role players: Buddy and Sidibe - normal “starters minutes” guys

Bit players: Girard, Newton, and possibly Braswell if he’s going to make shots. Whatever big is playing best, if needed due to foul trouble/injuries.

That’s how I see.

At least these are opinions that are based on on-court performance, unlike the assertions you made with absolute certainty above ("Edwards and Frank are better options defensively against physical teams" "Marek simply isnt good enough at the 5 to warrant Edwards and Frank not playing"). As Tomcat pointed out, the evidence we have on Edwards play to date is that he is finesse player, who was pushed around as much or more than Marek, fouled more often, and was out of position more often. There is almost no evidence to decide what type of player Frank is at this point in his development. That perception could change big time if/when these players have an extended on-court opportunity. But that's the point, "we" don't know.

Your real issue (over and over and over again) is with JB's decision making.
The we dont know and if they had court time is the issue. What we do know is that Marek gets destroyed against physical 5s

The we dont know and if they had court time is the issue. What we do know is that Marek gets destroyed against physical 5s
I hear you on Marek. Maybe we will see Edwards or one of the other 5s get some run against G'Town.

Edwards 5
Q 4
Marek 3
Buddy2
Kadary 1

Foreshadowing:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom