Edwards on O | Syracusefan.com

Edwards on O

OmahaCuse

Starter
In presser JB says “Edwards was able to score because they were doubling Buddy”… Absolutely false. Go watch film, Jessie beat his man or 2 guys on at least 1/2 of his scoring plays. The rest came on pick and rolls and normal high screen. When Edwards went out of game JB played center and immediately gave up points and rebounds. Why no Frank or 1 legged Sid? Is JB is denI’ll? He also said Edwards had too many turnovers, go watch many of those were on bad passes from his kids and Edwards was bailing them out. He had a few turnovers on his own but kid was a one man show.

Agreed - Jesse had a helluva game and deserves a ton of credit. He worked to get open and finish at the rim. One thing to add on the turnovers. He did seemed like he was getting gassed near the end, which is why you don't play a center close to 40 mpg

Agreed - Jesse had a helluva game and deserves a ton of credit. He worked to get open and finish at the rim. One thing to add on the turnovers. He did seemed like he was getting gassed near the end, which is why you don't play a center close to 40 mpg
He still needs more strength. Another 20 pounds and he will dominate on both ends.

In presser JB says “Edwards was able to score because they were doubling Buddy”… Absolutely false. Go watch film, Jessie beat his man or 2 guys on at least 1/2 of his scoring plays. The rest came on pick and rolls and normal high screen. When Edwards went out of game JB played center and immediately gave up points and rebounds. Why no Frank or 1 legged Sid? Is JB is denI’ll? He also said Edwards had too many turnovers, go watch many of those were on bad passes from his kids and Edwards was bailing them out. He had a few turnovers on his own but kid was a one man show.
That's another bizarre JB statement, then. Unless he's making a ridiculous assumption—that Edwards would be the one being doubled if not for the 'spacing' his boy provides. But, Jesse isn't yet that proven and hasn't put up big numbers on offense. Who would double him at this point?

More of "JB says stuff." I'm not gonna say that i question his intelligence, but... i often question his veracity and logic.

At least 3 of the turnovers attributed to Jesse are due to bad passes or bad timing in passes. Benny threw a dart to him that was just bobbled slightly. Jimmy threw the ball at Jesse's shins. There was another pass to Jesse in the post that was a second late where he lost position.

Last night, Miami was doubling the man with ball on the pick and roll if it was Buddy or Joe. Why the entry pass is so difficult to Jesse at the post when they knew the double was coming is somewhat boggling. When it was entered properly to Jesse, the guy guarding the corner offensive player would come over to the middle as a help defender. This left Jesse in a two on one with the corner offensive guy who is usually standing at the 3 point line. A few times, on the Jesse dunks, the help defender got caught in no mans land between his man and Jesse. I think he was leaning toward his man thinking Jesse would dish to the corner for the 3.

Jesse played it so well. He didn't rush. He would hesitate, make the defender commit and when he saw him leaning toward the guy in the corner he decisively went down the lane and dunked. On another occasion when the help defender committed to Jesse he kicked to the corner.

I don't agree that all of Jesse's offensive output had to do with doubles on Buddy but the philosophy of doubling the ball on the pick and roll will allow for Jesse to run that 2 on 1 from the high post consistently. If he can run it like last night teams will pay one way or another.

Last night, Miami was doubling the man with ball on the pick and roll if it was Buddy or Joe. Why the entry pass is so difficult to Jesse at the post when they knew the double was coming is somewhat boggling. When it was entered properly to Jesse, the guy guarding the corner offensive player would come over to the middle as a help defender. This left Jesse in a two on one with the corner offensive guy who is usually standing at the 3 point line. A few times, on the Jesse dunks, the help defender got caught in no mans land between his man and Jesse. I think he was leaning toward his man thinking Jesse would dish to the corner for the 3.

Jesse played it so well. He didn't rush. He would hesitate, make the defender commit and when he saw him leaning toward the guy in the corner he decisively went down the lane and dunked. On another occasion when the help defender committed to Jesse he kicked to the corner.

I don't agree that all of Jesse's offensive output had to do with doubles on Buddy but the philosophy of doubling the ball on the pick and roll will allow for Jesse to run that 2 on 1 from the high post consistently. If he can run it like last night teams will pay one way or another.
Yeah, Edwards isn't a spaz when he gets the ball, which isn't always true of big guys. He's pretty collected and purposeful with what he does next. It's rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom