Emergency recruits | Syracusefan.com

Emergency recruits

SWC75

Bored Historian
What's the best way to bring a new guy in who is better than a walk-on when we lose somebody late? There are five ways to get new talent besides walk-ons:

- Recruit an uncommitted high school player: Recruiting high school players takes time, unless you are Coach K or Calipari. You can't just come in say "We want you" and get a guy. Unless you had been recruiting him and are now interested again because you lost somebody, (see Howard Washington).

- Get an undergrad transfer from another college, (see Elijah Hughes). But that's no good for emergencies because they have to sit out a year.

- Get a junior college transfer. We haven't done that often but we've done it. This is usually to get a reserve but that may be all we need - just increase the depth.

- Get a grad transfer - but they are guys with one year left who are coming here to start. That's why Geno left- he got hurt and Howard played well so he was going to be a reserve. You aren't going to get a grad transfer on the talent level of a Bazley.

- Europe. I understand we got Dolezaj because Lydon left. Could we get a substantial player - not a project- from Europe?

I still think players who went to the pros but flamed out who want to return to college to get their degrees should be allowed to return and play for the school's team while they do it. it would be a way of getting some of this talent back. What's Donte Greene doing these days?

or in the best case find a quality player who can be released from a binding NLI due to change in circumstances.

or who committed to a coach not the university. lotta heads rolling. memphis released some dudes when PayPal left.

What's the best way to bring a new guy in who is better than a walk-on when we lose somebody late? There are five ways to get new talent besides walk-ons:

- Recruit an uncommitted high school player: Recruiting high school players takes time, unless you are Coach K or Calipari. You can't just come in say "We want you" and get a guy. Unless you had been recruiting him and are now interested again because you lost somebody, (see Howard Washington).

- Get an undergrad transfer from another college, (see Elijah Hughes). But that's no good for emergencies because they have to sit out a year.

- Get a junior college transfer. We haven't done that often but we've done it. This is usually to get a reserve but that may be all we need - just increase the depth.

- Get a grad transfer - but they are guys with one year left who are coming here to start. That's why Geno left- he got hurt and Howard played well so he was going to be a reserve. You aren't going to get a grad transfer on the talent level of a Bazley.

- Europe. I understand we got Dolezaj because Lydon left. Could we get a substantial player - not a project- from Europe?

I still think players who went to the pros but flamed out who want to return to college to get their degrees should be allowed to return and play for the school's team while they do it. it would be a way of getting some of this talent back. What's Donte Greene doing these days?
it is difficult for all the reasons that you cite. nobody who is obviously good will fall into our lap. however there are under the radar guys out there who are obtainable and can help. it is the job of the staff to find them.

personally, if possible, i think the late bloomer type should be the first choice, but any under the radar player will do.

it's march. it's the HEAD COACHES responsibility to fill the bench next fall with quality players. JB best get to work . talking overtime old man.

Hope you aren’t looking for a xfer or grad xfer who will want minutes. Our best bet will be a project that hadn’t signed yet or a foreign dude.

Any and all of the above, however you can do it.

The good news is, we have a HOF coach with 40+ years of experience who should have the all the experience and connections needed to identify targets, pull strings and pull some rabbits from hats.

He's going to have to.

Next 6 mos. will be telling as to what sort of offcourt recruiting fire and focus JB still possesses.

Our situation is as big a "roll up the sleeves" task as he's had here in a long time.

Any and all of the above, however you can do it.

The good news is, we have a HOF coach with 40+ years of experience who should have the all the experience and connections needed to identify targets, pull strings and pull some rabbits from hats.

He's going to have to.

Next 6 mos. will be telling as to what sort of offcourt recruiting fire and focus JB still possesses.

Our situation is as big a "roll up the sleeves" task as he's had here in a long time.

A lot of coaches would love to have at 7-8 guys coming back, including Boeheim last year.

Boeheim simply goes up to Babers and says "Remember those 30K games of mine that you bring recruits to? Love to see you return the favor and give me a couple of guys.".

A lot of coaches would love to have at 7-8 guys coming back, including Boeheim last year.

It's not simply about bodies.

We need offensive talent that can make the team more efficient and dynamic.

There's likely a few juco's or grad transfers out there that could step in and meet that need.

Time to find one and get them here.

We've pulled some transfer gems before... Wes Johnson being one of the most prolific in recent memory.

Hope you aren’t looking for a xfer or grad xfer who will want minutes. Our best bet will be a project that hadn’t signed yet or a foreign dude.

I don't know why you're saying that when we've only got one starter level forward on the roster. Dolezaj was promising at the end of the season, but I don't think he is going to scare off a lot of 5th year guys.

I don't know why you're saying that when we've only got one starter level forward on the roster. Dolezaj was promising at the end of the season, but I don't think he is going to scare off a lot of 5th year guys.

I just don’t see where we will have big minutes to offer a kid. A grad transfer is going to be looking to play. We could go get a regular transfer because the following year there will be time to offer, but that doesn’t help us this coming season because they’d have to sit.

Last edited:
The thing is, we don't have to settle for an "emergency" recruit. There are still plenty of prospects out there who can play, contribute depth, etc.

Taking a warm body would be an "emergency" act of desperation -- instead, I hope that the coaching staff is leaving no rock unturned looking for quality. JUCO, international, fifth year transfer, flipping a recruit -- doesn't matter, just find someone who isn't merely filler.

Last edited:
I would prefer the foreign route given it has been good to us with guys like Kong and Marek. Another eastern European kid would be nice.

Who was the last juco to really do anything for a P5 team or ACC team.

I feel like juco players haven't been real options in over a decade.

There’s nobody left that’s going to improve the team for next year. Porter would, but they aren’t going to sign him to elevTe him over Chukwu.

walter berry (san jacinto st.) stuffing the pearl is about the saddest moment i remember as a cuse fan . damn JUCOS !

9f7bd6e026741fd4c33cd0209cecd40f.jpg

but wallace to transfer cippola is among the best.

Last edited:
Who was the last juco to really do anything for a P5 team or ACC team.

I feel like juco players haven't been real options in over a decade.

Kristoff was a Juco, as well as a Euro. A guy like that could give us the added depth we need.

upload_2018-3-31_12-39-25.png

It's not simply about bodies.

We need offensive talent that can make the team more efficient and dynamic.

There's likely a few juco's or grad transfers out there that could step in and meet that need.

Time to find one and get them here.

We've pulled some transfer gems before... Wes Johnson being one of the most prolific in recent memory.

The returning players are not just "bodies'. We've still got ht e"big three" for now and Carey or Hughes can replace Battle if he goes. We could got to a three guard look, (that would please Kenny Smith). Hughes and Boeheim can give us firepower off the bench. I think Dolezaj will blossom into a double figure scorer. Chukwu might grow some hands and I think Sidibie has a lot of potential. Our primary need is depth. You aren't going to get the equivalent of a Bazley this late.

Elijah Hughes kind of guy who is elsewhere but always wanted to play for Cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom