End of BYU vs Utah | Syracusefan.com

End of BYU vs Utah

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
BYU scores a TD with like 30 seconds left and can kick the extra point and likely send it to OT, or go for 2 and the win. The HC, Sitake, is brand new, their star RB is out with an injury, they're playing in their rival's stadium, and they've forced 6 Utah turnovers.

Sitake goes for 2 and the win and Utah blows up the play, but you know what? I love the call. What an awesome situation. You've got one play to earn your win, and you take it. No waiting for greatness, just take it.

That's true hardnosed football.

Good post.

I wish more teams did this. For instance, what if TCU goes for the 2 pt. play to go up by 9 against Arkansas? If they miss it, Arkansas most likely kicks the PAT when they score to tie it. I like the odds of TCU scoring from the 2, more than their stopping Arkansas on their 2 pt. attempt.

Play to win.

What did you think about Utah's decision to go for a field goal when they had 4th and 1 deep in BYU's territory with less than 2 minutes on the clock? Took a delay of game penalty and kicked.

Seemed kind of stupid.

What did you think about Utah's decision to go for a field goal when they had 4th and 1 deep in BYU's territory with less than 2 minutes on the clock? Took a delay of game penalty and kicked.

Seemed kind of stupid.
I agree. But people will say it was a good decision because they ended up winning the game. Whittingham is an ultra-conservative coach, though.

BYU scores a TD with like 30 seconds left and can kick the extra point and likely send it to OT, or go for 2 and the win. The HC, Sitake, is brand new, their star RB is out with an injury, they're playing in their rival's stadium, and they've forced 6 Utah turnovers.

Sitake goes for 2 and the win and Utah blows up the play, but you know what? I love the call. What an awesome situation. You've got one play to earn your win, and you take it. No waiting for greatness, just take it.

Completely agree. Wish SS had this mentality against UVA last year. Should have gone for the kill. Oh well, hindsight, 20/20, all that.

But yes, love the BYU play.

Completely agree. Wish SS had this mentality against UVA last year. Should have gone for the kill. Oh well, hindsight, 20/20, all that.

But yes, love the BYU play.
I wish the ACC refs hadn't given Virginia a fumble return for a TD on what was clearly a forward pass . But , if you want to continue to tear down SS , go right ahead .

I wish the ACC refs hadn't given Virginia a fumble return for a TD on what was clearly a forward pass . But , if you want to continue to tear down SS , go right ahead .

A disagreement by this armchair coach over his decision hardly equates to what I would consider a "tear down." I read the OP and immediately made that connection. Could have used many different examples, but that stood out to me for whatever reason.

A disagreement by this armchair coach over his decision hardly equates to what I would consider a "tear down." I read the OP and immediately made that connection. Could have used many different examples, but that stood out to me for whatever reason. [ The OP created this thread to continue that narrative , which I disagree with .

Actually, the OP made this thread because he lives in Utah, watched the end of the game, and was impressed that Sitake made the choice he did and wanted to post it here.

Actually, the OP made this thread because he lives in Utah, watched the end of the game, and was impressed that Sitake made the choice he did and wanted to post it here.
I would think an offensive coach like Dino would want the tie knowing that it would be almost impossible to stop his offense starting at the 25 in OT . A defense can only make so many big plays .

A disagreement by this armchair coach over his decision hardly equates to what I would consider a "tear down." I read the OP and immediately made that connection. Could have used many different examples, but that stood out to me for whatever reason.

I made the same connection, especially when hardnosed was included. Shafer wimped out in the second OT. We had to go first in OT number 3 and you have to go for two in the 3rd OT. End it either way in OT two. I love the BYU coach's decision

Love the call for all the reasons you mentioned and that Utah has beaten them five straight times.

QB did not check out of the play and had an unblocked OLB/DE ready for him. Sucked that the play had no chance.

Everyone likes a call that resulted in a loss . It was proactive though .

Everyone likes a call that resulted in a loss . It was proactive though .

I respect people who play to win. The vast majority of football coaches play not to lose.

UConn just lost a game because their coach was afraid something bad might happen if he called for a goal line pass with 17 seconds left and no time outs.

I respect people who play to win. The vast majority of football coaches play not to lose.

UConn just lost a game because their coach was afraid something bad might happen if he called for a goal line pass with 17 seconds left and no time outs.
I think he thought their offensive line was dominating the Navy defensive line . He thought his line would blow them off the ball , his offensive line failed .

CousCuse said:
I think he thought their offensive line was dominating the Navy defensive line . He thought his line would blow them off the ball , his offensive line failed .

He failed. I'm fine with a run play there (I wouldn't) but to not have another play called in case of failure is inexcusable. That decision may cost his team a bowl this year and himself another contract.

Every kid who plays Madden knows you get two chances if you pass there.

NKR1978 said:

Maybe four if the first three are quick passes but definitely 3 if the first two are passes.

That is a very tight space . Every kid doesn't know when you've had your butt kicked all day long by a big , physical offensive line and they are staring you down again , that's real football in the trenches . His o-line failed . And they will get holy hell all week for it .

CousCuse said:
That is a very tight space . Every kid doesn't know when you've had your butt kicked all day long by a big , physical offensive line and they are staring you down again , that's real football in the trenches . His o-line failed . And they will get holy hell all week for it .

You love Neanderthal man like meathead coaches. UConn's head coach is horrible. This isn't the first time he has bumbled managing the clock. He is on par with SS with his end of half/game decisions.

I would think an offensive coach like Dino would want the tie knowing that it would be almost impossible to stop his offense starting at the 25 in OT . A defense can only make so many big plays .
We'll see what he does when the situation comes up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom