Enjoy this UConn game | Syracusefan.com

Enjoy this UConn game

UConn, Syracuse battle again Thursday — will it be the last time for a while?

This might be the last game with UConn at MSG for some time. Based on JB’s remarks, sounds like the 20-game ACC schedule is going to put a crimp in scheduling games there against quality OOC opponents.

A real shame.
This is my understanding.

UConn is going to try and replace Syracuse by scheduling games in MSG against other former rivals from the Big East. I can't see them drawing more than 8 or 9K against anyone except Nova but if St Johns gets good, they could bring enough fans to make it worthwhile.

I think the key is to convince Nova to play them there. Of course, we might try to do the same thing, at least for years where we can't play a tournament in MSG.

One possible solution has been kicked around.

The Old School Showdown: SU, G-town, UConn and St.John's (or Nova) come in to MSG or Barclay's Christmas week.
The two "Big East" teams play a game each against SU and UConn.
It would sell out and get everyone more than ready for conference play.

I can live without UConn, but 20 ACC games will make for a boring schedule.

Agreed. I miss the home and homes with big name schools we used to play like Arizona, UCLA, Kentucky, Michigan State, etc. Always thought it was awesome to have a random February game with UCLA in the Dome, or a late season trip to Michigan State.

Thanksgiving tournaments aren’t as good as home and homes for the fans IMO. I like to see these teams come to the Dome or see Cuse go to some of these college b-ball landmarks.

One possible solution has been kicked around.

The Old School Showdown: SU, G-town, UConn and St.John's (or Nova) come in to MSG or Barclay's Christmas week.
The two "Big East" teams play a game each against SU and UConn.
It would sell out and get everyone more than ready for conference play.
the ghosts of tourneys past.
we'd have to dust off burr and higgins to ref wearing chains and nightcaps.

We need to play in MSG every year no matter what and they are an obvious option. But I'd rather switch it up than make it annual. Every 4 or 5 years I'll schedule them. If its a 4 team thing I don't mind if they would be the second night and we'd have to both win or both lose to play each other.

I don't ever want to play a neutral site tournament that isn't Maui or in MSG with this move to 20 games. Not worth it IMO you might pick up 2 or 3 losses in 3 days if timing is wrong (too early with a young team or too many injuries.)

Mauis worth it but the other tournaments can have tough games too and don't have any draw or cache. Look at the status of our PGs. If Frankie was out for another 2 weeks and Carey wasn't 100% and we got a tough draw we could have our season derailed early.

Imagine if we were playing Michigan tomorrow in some rando tournament in an empty HS gym. Would be ugly they just blew out Nova on the road and you might drop the next one in the losers bracket and then have to win the third game to avoid going 0-3. Scheduling was great last year and looks good this year.

if you're ducking this simply out of fear of losing then you ain't got the heart of a champion anyway.

if you're ducking this simply out of fear of losing then you ain't got the heart of a champion anyway.

I know you don't like facts, but UConn is about the 7th best team in our OOC schedule this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom