Ennis thoughts (and others) | Syracusefan.com

Ennis thoughts (and others)

cuseincincy

All Conference
So last night while my wife and kids were recording 2 shows that I had no interest in watching on the DVR I finally got around to watching the Monntrose - St Benedicts game. My first thought was why didn't we recruit the Wainwright kid from Montrose going to Baylor? He's a beast. Then I watched Ennis. Very nice smooth game. Kind of reminds me of either Michael Brown (Syracuse kid that played at Providence) or Erick Barkley from St Johns. Doesn't look liek the kind of kid that will get rattled. I'm really looking forward to watching him run the team for 4 years. Also like what I saw from Briscoe but only if I consider he's a sophmore in HS. By the time he leaves he will be beast but right now, well he's 15 years old and it shows (I know, I coach a team of 14 and 15 year olds).

So last night while my wife and kids were recording 2 shows that I had no interest in watching on the DVR I finally got around to watching the Monntrose - St Benedicts game. My first thought was why didn't we recruit the Wainwright kid from Montrose going to Baylor? He's a beast. Then I watched Ennis. Very nice smooth game. Kind of reminds me of either Michael Brown (Syracuse kid that played at Providence) or Erick Barkley from St Johns. Doesn't look liek the kind of kid that will get rattled. I'm really looking forward to watching him run the team for 4 years. Also like what I saw from Briscoe but only if I consider he's a sophmore in HS. By the time he leaves he will be beast but right now, well he's 15 years old and it shows (I know, I coach a team of 14 and 15 year olds).

I think to some extent we were involved with Ish.

We did recruit Wainright. I like his game as well but as we saw with Paul Harris, 6'4 power guards don't really fit our system.

I forgot about Erick Barkley. That's a decent comparison. I'm hoping his ceiling is more like a Deron Williams. I wonder what he looked like in high school.

Wainwright:
I dunno. Seems like the kind of player who will dominate in high school, but his size/bulk/beastness might not translate at the next level/s. He's thick and strong, but too small for a forward position, and probably not quick enough for guard. He might be good-ish at Baylor, but, yeah — the Paul Harris thing probably sours his profile a bit. Besides, he doesn't fit the JB criteria all the commentators like to (inaccurately) apply to our recruits...

I like the Barkley comparison. Pretty spot on.

Regarding Briscoe, I said it the first time I watched him play and from what I've heard it hasn't changed, he's the next Dion Waiters. Same size/build/game. I base this off of watching him play once, but the similarities are striking.

Anyway, looking forward to watching Ennis play. Thank goodness we landed a 5 star PG in this class. Methinks JB knew how essential it would be that we bring in a point in this class. Perhaps he knew we would be in desperate need of one after our only current PG bolts for the league.

If you have seen Pitt play, Ennis reminds me James Robinson with his demeanor. Doesn't get rattled and plays within himself. Which MCW can get away from sometimes.

Ennis is just a little smaller and quicker then Robinson.