Enough with the pink uniform highlights already... | Syracusefan.com

Enough with the pink uniform highlights already...

44PRIDE

All Conference
Cancer is an awful thing. But do we really need to have pink highlights on every pro uniform week in and week out? Hats, gloves, jerseys, referees... I mean, enough is enough.

Is there anyone out there who's not aware of breast cancer?

What needs awareness is heart disease. That is the leading cause of death among women. Go do your own survey and find out how many people are aware of that.

It's breast cancer awareness month. You only have to suffer this travesty for two more weeks. Sheesh, we'll complain about anything on this forum.
I will complain about it, because it gets a disproportionate amount of money compared to other types of cancer with a lot lower mortality rate.

People with prostate cancer generally encounter significant disparities in awareness, funding, media coverage, and research—and therefore, inferior treatment and poorer outcomes—compared to other cancers of equal prevalence.[138] In 2001 The Guardian noted that Britain had 3,000 nurses specializing in breast cancer, compared to only one for prostate cancer. It also discovered that the waiting time between referral and diagnosis was two weeks for breast cancer but three months for prostate cancer.[139] A 2007 report by The National Prostate Cancer Coalition stated that for every prostate cancer drug on the market, there were seven used to treat breast cancer. The Times also noted an "anti-male bias in cancer funding" with a four to one discrepancy in the United Kingdom by both the government and by cancer charities such as Cancer Research UK.[138][140] Equality campaigners such as author Warren Farrell cite such stark spending inequalities as a clear example of governments unfairly favouring women's health over men's health.[141]
Disparities also extend into areas such as detection, with governments failing to fund or mandate prostate cancer screening while fully supporting breast cancer programs. For example, a 2007 report found 49 U.S. states mandate insurance coverage for routine breast cancer screening, compared to 28 for prostate cancer.[138][142] Prostate cancer also experiences significantly less media coverage than other, equally prevalent cancers, with a study by Prostate Coalition showing 2.6 breast cancer stories for each one covering cancer of the prostate.

What needs awareness is heart disease. That is the leading cause of death among women. Go do your own survey and find out how many people are aware of that.
You're right, they should stop raising money for it. I know that's not what you're saying, but the heart disease folks need to get some fancy slogans like "save second base" and take a color as their own. THAT'S how they'll get people to pay attention. I'm just amazed people can be pissed off about an awareness push. Breast cancer is all over the place, but good for the marketing folks that work for them -- what an incredible job they've done.

You're right, they should stop raising money for it. I know that's not what you're saying, but the heart disease folks need to get some fancy slogans like "save second base" and take a color as their own. THAT'S how they'll get people to pay attention. I'm just amazed people can be pissed off about an awareness push. Breast cancer is all over the place, but good for the marketing folks that work for them -- what an incredible job they've done.
It's great, but charity shouldn't be about marketing. Case in point: Only 10 cents of every dollar donated to Susan G. Komen actually goes to Breast Cancer research. The rest is administrative cost.

It's great, but charity shouldn't be about marketing. Case in point: Only 10 cents of every dollar donated to Susan G. Komen actually goes to Breast Cancer research. The rest is administrative cost.

It is well documented but widely ignored that the Komen Foundation is a black hole for donations. Cancer is horrible, but the only people we're helping by donating to Komen is their own executives. There are many more worthy organizations out there.

Raising money for breast cancer is just a marketing effort by sports leagues to attract women to their product. I doubt any other group can market themselves effectively the same way. So yeah, good for them...but it is a shame that we disproportionately fund and donate to diseases that have low mortality and/or effect a significantly smaller number of people because of marketing value.

Can you provide a link to where you came up with that figure? According to this audit, the breakdown is 84% Programs, 8% Fundraising, 8% Administrative Costs.

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/cancer/susan-g-komen-for-the-cure-in-dallas-tx-3432

Obviously some charities are more efficient than others, but you're basically asserting that Komen = the Gambino crime family.

Can you provide a link to where you came up with that figure? According to this audit, the breakdown is 84% Programs, 8% Fundraising, 8% Administrative Costs.

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/cancer/susan-g-komen-for-the-cure-in-dallas-tx-3432

Obviously some charities are more efficient than others, but you're basically asserting that Komen = the Gambino crime family.
Programs = Running the fundraising events. I shouldn't have said administrative. Only 8 goes to actual cancer research. You're better off donating to the American Cancer Society (Who guarantees 100% of your donation goes to research) and earmarking it for breast cancer research.

Programs = Running the fundraising events. I shouldn't have said administrative. Only 8 goes to actual cancer research. You're better off donating to the American Cancer Society (Who guarantees 100% of your donation goes to research) and earmarking it for breast cancer research.

Fair enough - point taken. I was going to say, if you're saying that they're skimming 90% off the top to pay their people, they're basically an organized crime syndicate. :)

you are right! breast cancer is a whichhunt!!!! the pink clothes arent gonna help cure anyone...way overblown!!!
I will complain about it, because it gets a disproportionate amount of money compared to other types of cancer with a lot lower mortality rate.[/quote

I will complain about it, because it gets a disproportionate amount of money compared to other types of cancer with a lot lower mortality rate.

The solution isn't to make breast cancer less visible; it's to raise the visibility of other cancers. I know of at least two guys on the board who have had prostate cancer. JB has had prostate cancer. Frankly, advances in detection and treatment options for prostate cancer are not what they should be and I can personally attest to the significant complications that can even arise following a diagnostic procedure that yielded a negative result.

I think that the NFL would be an obvious place for symbolic gestures to raise awareness and money for prostate cancer.

At the same time, I am perfectly fine with their gestures surrounding breast cancer awareness month.

The solution isn't to stop the show of pink in the NFL...those guys all have mothers and many have sisters. The solution is to also enact programs to raise awareness of prostate cancer.

I'm not staying stop showing pink, sorry if I came off that way.

You are 100% right. I can't take the "pink" anymore on NFL Sunday's. MLB does it right. Mothers day, they use PINK bats. Fathers day they use BLUE bats. One day a year. Thats it. Everyone moves on.

The NFL beats us over the head with this "pink" for one month and its too much. Everyone is anti-cancer, there is no need to take it to this extreme. It's too much.

Holy , I thought I was the only one who thought this. As I've told others, while I fully understand that breast cancer is deadly, there is only one reason why it's a more popular cause than heart disease...breasts. Breast cancer is actually only the 5th leading cause of death in women.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom