ESPN And BPI - An annoyance | Syracusefan.com

ESPN And BPI - An annoyance

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
As we enter tourney season, resumes will be posted on TV screens, and commentators and analysts will comment. Some with a solid feel for it, and some with no clue. SEC honky announcer will say that the could receive 6 or 7 bids -- so will PAC 12 announce.

Back to my rant. ESPN has added BPI to the resume. Top 50 BPI Wins are shown... One problem. Its totally irrelevant - the committee will never see BPI. Most of them probably dont even know what BPI is. Stop posting it as if its useful -- we don't want to see your idiot analysts say a team is in because of its BPI. Stop forcing it for crissakes.

Yes, RPI is extremely flawed. But at least its a metric looked at by the committee. Some speculate committee can use power ratings in discussion (perhaps only to seed bottom 4 seeds)... if they do or not, its certainly not a midway measure like BPI that is used.

Now back to more Christian Mingle commercials.

Same goes for the total quarterback rating, or whatever it is called. It's ESPN trying to force feed stuff on us.

And don't get me started on John Brenkus.

Back to my rant. ESPN has added BPI to the resume. Top 50 BPI Wins are shown... One problem. Its totally irrelevant - the committee will never see BPI. Most of them probably dont even know what BPI is. Stop posting it as if its useful -- we don't want to see your idiot analysts say a team is in because of its BPI. Stop forcing it for crissakes.

I've deliberately not read up on what the BPI is all about. Unless it's going to mean something, I don't need to know about it. Not only is it my little protest, but my brain can only hold so much useless information. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's anti-BPI.

Not sure why the rant. Recent articles all indicated that Selection Committee members are encourged to view and consider all metrics for evaluating teams and are provided w/ access to the BPI and Pomeroy, etc.

Yeah it's not an official criteria, but I'm sure some people on the committee use it.

Are they using it in place of the RPI, or in conjunction with?

I always thought of SEC announcers as more cracker than honky. As to the rest of your rant, I agree, but I often wonder how much influence the bloviators on TV have over the committee, especially as the TV dollars get more lucrative and the networks get deeper into bed with the conferences.

Seth Davis confirmed the BPI is used by the committee, from his experience on the mock selection a few weeks ago.

Then I stand corrected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom