ESPN bloggers on Syracuse's recent lack of dominance | Syracusefan.com

ESPN bloggers on Syracuse's recent lack of dominance

themole

Starter
Excerpts:

Myron Medcalf: I'm excited for the weekend on the hardwood. I actually think UConn-Cuse will be a great game. It was a great matchup when they met earlier this season. UConn held its own until the final minutes. And the Orange haven't looked invincible over their past three games.

Eamonn Brennan: Sure, UConn hung around with Syracuse in the Dome. And yeah, the Orange was tested. But it passed with flying colors. That last four minutes, SU flipped some sort of crazy-defense switch. It was like the Orangemen all looked at each other and said, "This team isn't scoring again." And UConn scarcely did.

MM: True. The Orange have that switch. It's like they just wait to use it when necessary. Vulnerable is probably the wrong word. They've just looked bored during their past three games. It's like they're waiting for a big challenge. UConn, like Rutgers and South Florida, put up a fight for a stretch. And then, boom!

EB: I'm sure Jim Boeheim would prefer that each of the rest of their games be like South Florida -- a team that came out guns blazing with an upset in mind, forcing Syracuse to react and overcome. At this point in the season, SU doesn't need confidence boosts or dominant, wow-we're-awesome, 40-point victories. There's a lot more value to hard-fought games, because in the tournament, you have to win six increasingly difficult ones. Better to get this team used to that now.

Oh wait, my bad, that entire passage was about Kentucky and various SEC teams, not Syracuse and the Big East. I guess I hit search and replace by accident. :mad: Still, perhaps the same points apply?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-highlights-weekend-action-college-basketball

I just thought their debate about Kentucky sounded not unlike some of the points raised on this board lately regarding SU . . .

They pretty much summed it up. I've been saying for a couple weeks they look bored. They look like they just want the NCAA Tournament to come, because they know they're good enough to win it all and don't need to prove it anymore.

They pretty much summed it up. I've been saying for a couple weeks they look bored. They look like they just want the NCAA Tournament to come, because they know they're good enough to win it all and don't need to prove it anymore.
Except they were talking about Kentucky and the o.p. put in Syracuse in place of UK.

Love this quote:

That last four minutes, SU flipped some sort of crazy-defense switch. It was like the Orangemen all looked at each other and said, "This team isn't scoring again." And UConn scarcely did.

That's what excites me most about this team in March. It seems like when we need a run, we get it, every time. When we decide we're done f*cking around and want to take control, we do.

Love this quote:

That last four minutes, SU flipped some sort of crazy-defense switch. It was like the Orangemen all looked at each other and said, "This team isn't scoring again." And UConn scarcely did.

That's what excites me most about this team in March. It seems like when we need a run, we get it, every time. When we decide we're done f*cking around and want to take control, we do.

Except nobody actually said that about Syracuse.

This is great. Its crazy how UK does the same thing we do against far weaker competition and they are praised for it, while we have our #1 seed questioned.

Nobody is questioning SU as a #1 seed. (Except people at this board that is)

Love this quote:

I think it's dangerous to take that sort of thing for granted.

Oh wait, my bad, that entire passage was about Kentucky and various SEC teams, not Syracuse and the Big East. I guess I hit search and replace by accident. :mad: Still, perhaps the same points apply?

Well played.

The thing is, I don't have much faith in UK right now either. We do have an edge in the experience category, however.