ESPN classic su gtown '83 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN classic su gtown '83

Glory days! I was living in Olean at the time, attending Bonnies games whenever I could, and watching Cuse on TV as often as possible. Miss those days!

Man, I miss these days of up and down b-ball. The Dome was rocking, Pearl was doing his thing, etc., etc.

Yeah, that game is a little before my time but I watched some of that on YouTube before and was blown away by the pace they came out playing at. Such a better watching experience for the fans. If I can watch a game from 35 years ago that I have zero memories or nostalgia attached to and be very entertained, that says a lot about how the game was in a very good place.

You don’t notice much orange in the crowd at these games. Orange clothing was not easy to find in a store back then.

That is the one aspect of the Dome atmosphere that has improved. It feels like in the last 10-15 years or so the crowd has become much more orange.

That is also the first year the benches were moved to the side they’re currently at. Before that, like the first game they showed this morning, the benches were in front of the bleachers.

Pearl breakin ankles.

I watched most of the 1983 game while I was working out this morning. Fun stuff - 97-92 with no overtime! I was 7 then and I was starting to get into it, but didn't have a full appreciation of what was going on. I remember watching Leo, Gene Waldron, Sean Kerins and Andre Hawkins in particular. Would have been nice to see what a healthy Leo could have done in the NBA. I don't have much recollection of Erich Santifer or Red Bruin, but those guys were really good.

We were down 57-39 before JB put on his trunk monkey press to cut into the deficit. Georgetown was playing more 2-3 zone and we were in man to man mostly it seemed like. That was crazy how Sonny Spera hit double figures - I always remembered him as the human victory cigar. One of my earliest memories was he and Andre Hawkins coming to my elementary school. I still have that sheet of paper with their autographs.

Hawkins got into foul trouble and Sean Kerins got hurt, so freshman Wendell Alexis came in as emergency center.

Len Berman and Bill Raftery were on the call. Len kept mentioning the 31,300 plus record crowd in attendance. This was in the early Dome days of course, and he just seemed like he couldn't believe that many people would show up to watch a Syracuse basketball game and how crazy the atmosphere was.

Crazy to think this was 35 years ago and JB was already an experienced coach with 150 wins.

Those were my school years too. Didn't see the Pearl's BC shot in person - wasn't that much into it yet. Were out partying on M Street when the place exploded. People running out of Varsity, Chuck's, Faegan's, etc. jumping, screaming and high fiving each other. I was like whaaa? Decided to check them out. Went to the UNC/Jordan game (also with Kenny "3-guard 'Cuse" Smith, Sam Perkins and Brad Dougherty) and got hooked immediately despite the blowout. Sitting at the very top row leaning against the wall, behind the curtain, with the court below the size of a postal stamp and 30k screaming people around you was surreal and absolutely electric. Had never experienced anything like it at a sporting event before or since.

EDIT: Double checked myself. The UNC game was the year before - got the order wrong. But still remember that atmosphere.

Loved how these old broadcasts used to play the live player introductions. Love hearing Carl Eilenberg...no fluff, just gave you the info you needed and let the game speak for itself. The other thing about the live intros is hearing how loud the traditional chants were for the opposing team (“Who’s He?, “So What?”, etc). I grew up on SU hoops during this era and I am sad to see that they don’t do those chants anymore...I believe this year was the first year they stopped? Anyone have any idea why? Anyways, love watching the old stuff, but can’t wait for the next chapter, as my kids are approaching the age where they will start to develop their own SU memories. Go Orange!

Loved how these old broadcasts used to play the live player introductions. Love hearing Carl Eilenberg...no fluff, just gave you the info you needed and let the game speak for itself. The other thing about the live intros is hearing how loud the traditional chants were for the opposing team (“Who’s He?, “So What?”, etc). I grew up on SU hoops during this era and I am sad to see that they don’t do those chants anymore...I believe this year was the first year they stopped? Anyone have any idea why? Anyways, love watching the old stuff, but can’t wait for the next chapter, as my kids are approaching the age where they will start to develop their own SU memories. Go Orange!

Very good question on why they don’t do the chants to opposing players in starting lineups. Terrible decision, regardless of the reason.

Nobody does the “you! You! You!” chant when an opponent gets a foul.

The “amen” song in the closing seconds of a locked up win died out 25-30 years ago.

Most people don’t really get into the stand at the beginning of the game and clap thing like the crowd used to.

There’s no Dome Ranger.

Other than some “let’s go Orange” chants, I’m having a hard time thinking of what they actually do as far as chants or traditions or making it a fun atmosphere.

Very good question on why they don’t do the chants to opposing players in starting lineups. Terrible decision, regardless of the reason.

Nobody does the “you! You! You!” chant when an opponent gets a foul.

The “amen” song in the closing seconds of a locked up win died out 25-30 years ago.

Most people don’t really get into the stand at the beginning of the game and clap thing like the crowd used to.

There’s no Dome Ranger.

Other than some “let’s go Orange” chants, I’m having a hard time thinking of what they actually do as far as chants or traditions or making it a fun atmosphere.
Good points, OrangeDW. Those things were all part of a lot of my memories. Seeing you put them all in one spot makes me realize just how many of the “chants” or traditions we have lost slowly over the years. I guess the recentness (if that’s even a word) of the removal of the starting lineup chants is fresh in my mind. Either way, the Dome is still an amazing and unique environment and I just try to savor every game there, especially with my kids seemingly enjoying themselves there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom