ESPN: Pitino tops Calipari in prepping players for NBA | Syracusefan.com

ESPN: Pitino tops Calipari in prepping players for NBA

Wait, so there are 9 guys that are better than Cal at preparing guys for the NBA? Would've never guessed it.

Pitino? He hasn't put that many guys in the league from his time at UL and they haven't exactly done great. If you want to count his time at UK that was far more successful in churning out pros but UL not so much. Somewhat surprising article. I didn't expect to see JB on the list because of the feelings about zone defense. But he certainly has had multiple successes especially if you go back a ways. He apparently doesn't get credit for Schayes, Orr, Coleman, Seikaly, Douglas who all had long and very productive NBA careers long before Anthony, Waiters or MCW. Of course he has guys who are busts too. If you are around that long there will be both. Seems to me that JB has had a better record than some of those on the list who have produced only a small number of guys (2-4) total.

Pitino? He hasn't put that many guys in the league from his time at UL and they haven't exactly done great. If you want to count his time at UK that was far more successful in churning out pros but UL not so much. Somewhat surprising article. I didn't expect to see JB on the list because of the feelings about zone defense. But he certainly has had multiple successes especially if you go back a ways. He apparently doesn't get credit for Schayes, Orr, Coleman, Seikaly, Douglas who all had long and very productive NBA careers long before Anthony, Waiters or MCW. Of course he has guys who are busts too. If you are around that long there will be both. Seems to me that JB has had a better record than some of those on the list who have produced only a small number of guys (2-4) total.

Danny Schayes 18 seasons 8,780 points, 1,299 assists, 5,671 rebounds

Billy Owens had 11 seasons wit over 7,000 points & 4, 000+ rebounds

John Wallace 7 years 2,900 points, 1,061 rebounds

Raf Addison played 6 years in the league score over 2,000 points & nearly 800 rebounds.

Jason Hart 9 years with 774 assists

Etan Thomas 9 years 2300+ points and nearly 2,000 boards

Hakim Warrick 8 seasons nearly 5,000 points, 733 assists over 2,100 rebounds

Marty Byrnes had 4 seasons in the league

Jeff Goodman hates Calipari, says Cal tried to get him fired back in the day. There will likely be another snub on the top 50 coaches list.

Pitino doesn't prepare kids for the NBA. If the one and done rule didn't exist, he would not have any players. UK is just their NBA layover. They can get paid at UK while they sit out the one-year waiting period in order to become eligible for the NBA draft. Works like a charm.

Pitino has been at Louisville 12-13 years and has 3 guys in the NBA. 2 had more DNP Coaches decisions and D League games than actual games played, the other averaged 5.7 points in 60 games for the Rockets.

I'm not sure how that gets you in the top 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom