ESPN: Triche and MCW to take 'Cuse as far as they go... | Syracusefan.com

ESPN: Triche and MCW to take 'Cuse as far as they go...

arbitragegls

All Conference
...and Triche maybe the best player on the team (their words not mine)

"The 6-4 guard looks healthier than he's ever been during his three-year career and could very well be the Orange's best player this season--Rothstein
Added Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, spoke with Rothstein, "This is his team. He's our leader. There's no doubts about that."
Expect Triche to have even better statistics than last year (9.4 points, 2.6 assists a contest) and pair nicely in the backcourt with sophomore Michael Carter-Williams. The Orange will go as far as those two take them."
Discuss please

Jb says every senior is a leader on the team, im a believer in actions over words, we go as far as how good MCW really is!

Jb says every senior is a leader on the team, im a believer in actions over words, we go as far as how good MCW really is!
did you want to take me up on my NCstate bet...????and by the way how are you doing these days...?

What was your bet there poptart?
in other thread when you were not positive on Triche...I bet several of you the following: a case of Jack and of coke...vs. 4 tickets to first NCstate-'Cuse bball game in ACC plus steak dinner...bet: 'Cuse with Triche as leader goes to elite 8 or better.....

I tend to agree, but the other player who will/could determine our success is Rak. We have no idea how good he could be.

We basically know Triche and he could assert himself. MCW has to live up to the hype. Rak could fizzle or explode.

We know more or less what everyone else, save maybe Dirty, will being to the table this year. I think the above three players are our most important pieces.

in other thread when you were not positive on Triche...I bet several of you the following: a case of Jack and of coke...vs. 4 tickets to first NCstate-'Cuse bball game in ACC plus steak dinner...bet: 'Cuse with Triche as leader goes to elite 8 or better.....
I want no part of that bet, because I certainly hope it happens, but I think you are going to need a strict definition of the term "leader".

If SU makes it that far how do YOU determine triche was our leader? Because he is a senior?

I can't help but believe DC2 could be as important as MCW. Lack of an inside scorer has hurt us since AO left and lack of a rebounder hurt us last year. It's best if we can get both from one player, and I just don't think Rak will have an offensive skillset beyond put backs and alley-oops.

I can't help but believe DC2 could be as important as MCW. Lack of an inside scorer has hurt us since AO left and lack of a rebounder hurt us last year. It's best if we can get both from one player, and I just don't think Rak will have an offensive skillset beyond put backs and alley-oops.
While you may be right, I think Rak is going to show a little bit on offense this year. I think that he and DCII are going to develop a nice high/low game, also I think Rak is going to show a little right handed baby hook moving from the left side of the basket turning into the lane about 5-8 feet from the basket. I am hoping to see that move at least once a game early in the season and more often as the season progresses.

I want no part of that bet, because I certainly hope it happens, but I think you are going to need a strict definition of the term "leader".

I think he would have to take the term leader out all together. Unless its scoring leader, or w/e.

Agree. Triche will be a leader out there but I am not sure I see him as the Vocal leader. MCW seems very vocal.

Agree Dajuan or Rak could be the difference makers. We already know MCW, Southerland, Fair, Cooney, Triche are going to get theres outside the paint, in the midpost, and driving inside. We don't have a proven post up scoring big though.

imo, Really it comes down to Dajuan or Rak bringing post up in the midpost. If they only look like scoring threats in the low then MCW,Triche,Cooney,Fair, and Southerland will have to drive to get it to them and the defense will have to collapse on our drivers just to get them the ball. That puts alot of emphasis on our driving game for low post buckets.

Rak and Dajuan look like two different kind of scorers. Just my opinion but Rak looks to be a score above the defense type. He just needs to get alittle seperation from his man to utilize his hookshot. He has a nice body to invite contact and still get off a soft hook when bumped. Dajuan is more of a go around, through, or invite the contact type. He will has to learn to get rid of the hesitation once he gets into the low paint and just get the shot up immedietly with authority.

These talking heads have to say something and it's always easy to wrap up a team prognosis with "the team goes as far as these guys take it" sort of nonsense. The fact is, SUs style relies on solid team defense, both at the 1 and 2 spots and on the baseline. If the wings aren't getting out on shots, we typically lose. If someone besides the guards don't step up and contribute on offense, we lose. Unless you have an all-world talent on a team, it takes at least 3 players playing very good to excellent basketball on a consistent basis over a season. So, yeah, if BT and MCW don't play well, we likely don't have a great season, but, if they are the only 2 who play well, we also don't have a good season.

I'm sure Boeheim is pumping him up to be the leader... but I'm guessing if you asked the guys, they wouldn't call Triche the leader.

These talking heads have to say something and it's always easy to wrap up a team prognosis with "the team goes as far as these guys take it" sort of nonsense. The fact is, SUs style relies on solid team defense, both at the 1 and 2 spots and on the baseline. If the wings aren't getting out on shots, we typically lose. If someone besides the guards don't step up and contribute on offense, we lose. Unless you have an all-world talent on a team, it takes at least 3 players playing very good to excellent basketball on a consistent basis over a season. So, yeah, if BT and MCW don't play well, we likely don't have a great season, but, if they are the only 2 who play well, we also don't have a good season.

Yeah, I love the "this player determines how far they go" statements. I mean, it's lazy writing, for one thing (i.e. they could easily make it a more meaningful statement by simply saying something like Triche is a key player given the lack of depth and the need to replace Waiters' scoring on the wing ..."). But it's also funny b/c you could really say it about half the players in the rotation -- MCW is a huge key but if Southerland has a more consistent year or Fair expands his offensive repertoire or Coleman is a productive rebounder/interior scorer or Xmas develops into an NBA draft-caliber big ... I mean any or all of those things would be really significant developments.

But I'll take your post a step further and say that these off-handed media comments are what set guys like Triche (and previously Scoop and Nassib) up for severe criticism. I mean, I think Triche will be very solid but I have yet to hear any real substantive reason why he's suddenly going to be breaking people down consistently off the dribble or suddenly shooting 40+ percent from 3 or being the guy who creates when we need a bucket in late/close situations.

Expecting guys to simply be better b/c of "experience" is particularly absurd given what UK has been doing to college hoops for the past few years.

But I'll take your post a step further and say that these off-handed media comments are what set guys like Triche (and previously Scoop and Nassib) up for severe criticism. I mean, I think Triche will be very solid but I have yet to hear any real substantive reason why he's suddenly going to be breaking people down consistently off the dribble or suddenly shooting 40+ percent from 3 or being the guy who creates when we need a bucket in late/close situations.

Expecting guys to simply be better b/c of "experience" is particularly absurd given what UK has been doing to college hoops for the past few years.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this. Anthony Davis would probably be an even better college player this year if he came back than he was a freshmen.

Players definitely tend to improve as they get deeper into their college careers. It doesn't happen every time, and it isn't always a huge jump in performance, or the same jump every year (believe I read today the largest improvement is generally from year 1 to y ear 2; part of the season I'm so high on MCW and Rak this year) but I definitely believe the trend is there.

Doesn't mean you pick the senior laden team to win;' just means the senior laden team will probably be better than they were the year before when they were all juniors.

I'm sure Boeheim is pumping him up to be the leader... but I'm guessing if you asked the guys, they wouldn't call Triche the leader.

I'm guessing they would.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think you forgot Rick Jackson.

This is ridiculous. Can we play a game before we get 50 comments on why Brandon Triche is overrated.

...and Triche maybe the best player on the team (their words not mine)

"The 6-4 guard looks healthier than he's ever been during his three-year career and could very well be the Orange's best player this season--Rothstein
Added Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, spoke with Rothstein, "This is his team. He's our leader. There's no doubts about that."
Expect Triche to have even better statistics than last year (9.4 points, 2.6 assists a contest) and pair nicely in the backcourt with sophomore Michael Carter-Williams. The Orange will go as far as those two take them."
Discuss please

"This is his team. He's our leader..."
Is the "leader" the guy who gets the ball at crunch time?

Who is the "go to" guy?
That topic got a lot of attention last season.
I don't see it this year.
But who is it?