Estimate on extra travel/operating costs for ACC? | Syracusefan.com

Estimate on extra travel/operating costs for ACC?

PoppyHart

All American
Has the school mentioned what they think the additional costs for travel/hotels will be in the ACC? Not just for FB/BB, but for all the teams that now have to take flights for nearly every road trip. I realize the BE is spread out already, but there are still about 50% of the schools within bus/train range. (UCONN, Rutgers, Nova, Prov, SJU, SHU, Gtown)

It's gotta be in the millions, right?

Not as much as Rutgers.

Charter buses run about $1500/day. How many does the football team need? let's say 2.

For a chartered plane, it costs somewhere between $4K to $10K plus overnight charges of about $1K. Plane sizes will probably vary depending on the team and many teams, like tennis, probably won't charter, they'll fly commercial.

So, high end $11K - $3K = $8K in additional cost for one away football game. Multiply that by 4 and that's an additional $32K for the football team.

Now, let's say with all of our other teams, there are 100 additional away trips (I'm guesstimating here) that need to use a plane rather than a bus. Knowing that many teams won't use two buses, but many will use smaller planes (or commercial flights), let's call that difference a wash. So,

$32,000 + (8,000 x 100) = $832,000

that's my guess and I'm sticking with it.

Has the school mentioned what they think the additional costs for travel/hotels will be in the ACC? Not just for FB/BB, but for all the teams that now have to take flights for nearly every road trip. I realize the BE is spread out already, but there are still about 50% of the schools within bus/train range. (UCONN, Rutgers, Nova, Prov, SJU, SHU, Gtown)

It's gotta be in the millions, right?

Did the team still bus it to any away games in the Big East? Don't they have a charter plane?

I realize the BE is spread out already, but there are still about 50% of the schools within bus/train range. (UCONN, Rutgers, Nova, Prov, SJU, SHU, Gtown)
I don't think that is correct. Remember, if SU had declined to go with Pitt, then it is possible that UConn or Rutgers would have gotten the invite, meaning the BE uber-expansion would have left Syracuse in a conference with only a handful of northeast members remaining. The proper comparison wouldn't be ACC to the old BE, but rather ACC to the new BE.

For the sake of argument, say that UConn took SU's place to the ACC. That would mean SU teams would have to negotiate travel to the following:

Northeast
Providence
SJU
SHU
Rutgers
Nova
GU

Midwest
Marquette
DePaul
ND
Louisville
Cincinnati

South
Memphis
Houston
SMU
South Florida
Central Florida

and the football team would be looking at travel to Boise \or San Diego every other year.

At a minimum, the travel costs would be a wash, but most likely it is cheaper to be in the ACC than the Big Nowhere.

Im good friends with an alum that played football under Coach P. He has shared countless great stories about road trips to different schools (particularly Morgantown) as well as the alumni/booster support and the money that floats around. Never once in his four year football career did the team take buses. Never. He told me that the team travelled to EVERY ROAD GAME using three chartered planes. One for offense, one for defense and one for coaching/medical staff/AD staff/some boosters, etc. His last season was in 99 so maybe things have changed but he is still close to the program and didnt mention that it has.

Gross said in an interview that travel costs were essentially a wash (though he did factor in the Texas schools, SDSU and BSU).