European Scouting | Syracusefan.com

European Scouting

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Was reading about the Nets' new signing from Bosnia and the NYT mentioned he had a scholarship offer from Uconn and Gonzaga when he was younger. uconn seems to be pretty active recruiting wise in Europe especially Germany. Anyone know who scouts for them or how they handle it? Also, does Syracuse have anyone actively scouting in Europe?

UConn hasn't had a good European player since the mid-90's.

Wolf is garbage; Giffey is painstakingly average (even that's a stretch) at best; the new kid they just got (his name slips me) is a major project.

It's a risk to give a scholarship to a guy who you probably see less than 5 times in person and who's playing in a completely different type of game (who knows how his game will translate to the college level with different rules and much better athletes). Not to mention you don't how these kids will react to being in a totally foreign country.

Big risk in general.

Was reading about the Nets' new signing from Bosnia and the NYT mentioned he had a scholarship offer from Uconn and Gonzaga when he was younger. uconn seems to be pretty active recruiting wise in Europe especially Germany. Anyone know who scouts for them or how they handle it? Also, does Syracuse have anyone actively scouting in Europe?
SU European scouting is headed up by John Winger, a little known but important part of the SU basketball machine:
090416-08-GMC_EM50_Urban_Assault_Vehicle_from_Stripes.jpg

General Barnicke: Are you telling me that you men finished your training on your own?

John Winger: That's the fact, Jack!

Soldiers: That's the fact, Jack!

I'm glad to see that the Nets are signing players from overseas. The head of their European scouting efforts is Danko Cvjeticanin, who was quite a player back in his prime, he won two olympic silver medals in 1988 and 1992(year of the dream team). He also happens to be the father of a good friend of mine who plays for my school(heres his profile http://www.fgcuathletics.com/mbasketball/roster/2012-13/2645/filip-cvjeticanin/). I got the chance to meet him after a game and during a few practices, and I can say he may know more about evaluating palyers and basketball in general then anybody I have met.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom