Everyone is focused on rebounding | Syracusefan.com

Everyone is focused on rebounding

Oakland

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Record
as our biggest problem, which is obscuring the fact that the team is shooting 30.7% in BEC play. That is the combined % of the 7 players in our rota for 12 games. Unfortunately, slump is probably too weak a term to describe this magnitude of poor shooting.

KJ is now below 30% - as he has been for 2 of his 3.5 yrs at SU
Dion is at 33% which is pretty good for him
Scoop is at 30% - and similar to his FT%, his 3pt% has been dropping for 3 yrs
BT is at 35.7%
CJ is at 17% on only 7 attempts
JS is at 20%!!!
MCW is at 67%!!! but alas on only 6 attempts

3pt % had been a big concern of mine, but after the good shooting in the OOC I forgot about it. Now it is shocking to look at the numbers.

Not sure where your'e getting this but MCW made three 3's against SJU, so he cannot be at 67% on 6 attempts.

Not sure where your'e getting this but MCW made three 3's against SJU, so he cannot be at 67% on 6 attempts.

SU Athletics, 4 of 6 - what is the problem?

as our biggest problem, which is obscuring the fact that the team is shooting 30.7% in BEC play. That is the combined % of the 7 players in our rota for 12 games. Unfortunately, slump is probably too weak a term to describe this magnitude of poor shooting.

KJ is now below 30% - as he has been for 2 of his 3.5 yrs at SU
Dion is at 33% which is pretty good for him
Scoop is at 30% - and similar to his FT%, his 3pt% has been dropping for 3 yrs
BT is at 35.7%
CJ is at 17% on only 7 attempts
JS is at 20%!!!
MCW is at 67%!!! but alas on only 6 attempts

3pt % had been a big concern of mine, but after the good shooting in the OOC I forgot about it. Now it is shocking to look at the numbers.

It's like they're seven Donte Greenes.

Sure he can.

@St. John's: 3/4
@PC: 1/1
@DePaul: 0/1
Total: 4/6, 67%

To the OP, 3-point shooting has been a fairly hot topic around here the past couple of weeks. People have been wondering whether the shooting in conference play is an extended slump or indicative of the team's true shooting ability.

the numbers almost always sag across the board in conference play, as we face coaches who know our players and tendencies so well. I wouldn't worry too much about it - once we get out of conference play and into the open ground of the NCAAT, those numbers should come up.

I have posted this before - here are the three point shooting percentages of the three main deep threats for the 2002-03 team in various segments of the season:

2003threeptpercentages.jpg

If kj, dion and triche all shoot at least 40% from 3 we wont lose, even if we dont rebound!

the numbers almost always sag across the board in conference play, as we face coaches who know our players and tendencies so well. I wouldn't worry too much about it - once we get out of conference play and into the open ground of the NCAAT, those numbers should come up.

I have posted this before - here are the three point shooting percentages of the three main deep threats for the 2002-03 team in various segments of the season:

Wouldn't it be great if all of our teams had the trajectory of the 03 squad? Unfortunately, I think this gang pretty much is what they are, except for Fab... he continues to blossom and show more.

Nice numbers to make us feel better about this season, but I doubt that it is that easy. Where do you get the conference only data?

Nice numbers to make us feel better about this season, but I doubt that it is that easy. Where do you get the conference only data?
I used the game boxes to get the post season numbers, then subtracted those and the conference only numbers from the season totals

That is awesome.

I used the game boxes to get the post season numbers, then subtracted those and the conference only numbers from the season totals

What is too much work for me to look into this anymore but please note that KJ shot 40.9% in BEC play last season, by far his best half season.

But looking at those numbers, did the percentages go up because SU was playing in the tournament? Or did SU win the tournament because the numbers went up?

Keep in mind that KrisJo missed a game last year b/c of injury. Through the first 12 games this year he's jacked up 51 3's. All of last year in BEC play (before the BET) he took 66. He was actually shooting 42% through 12 last year (again with one missed game) He's got 6 games left this season before the BET. I would say he avg's at least 4 attempts in each game and the likelihood he makes them are high...look for the % to increase, but slightly. Let's just hope he doesn't go 0hfer in any of these remaining 6---even 2-4 in every game the rest of the rest of the reg. season gives him 36% from distance...respectable IMO

But looking at those numbers, did the percentages go up because SU was playing in the tournament? Or did SU win the tournament because the numbers went up?
chicken or the egg? yes, you can make a good argument for the chicken. and I haven't done this with other seasons (because we never get more than 3 games in the NCAAT so I only have small sample sizes to go by), but I think the correlation between the two non-conference portions of the schedule (pre-con and NCAAT) is striking (even if it is specious)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom