Exceeding Expectations... | Syracusefan.com

Exceeding Expectations...

newmexicuse

All Conference
Well, let me start by saying i have not had an opportunity to see any of the games. So my comments below are based on box scores, newspaper articles, video clips, and even thoughts of fellow posters.

It seems like our team is re-vitalized and enthusiastic.

It starts at the top - kudos to the staff for their mentoring of various players, instilling D pride & hustle in the team, and bringing in the right kind of chemistry guys despite some of the recruiting difficulties that we have encountered. Jimmy, in particular, is back to his old self. it had seemed he was a beaten down shell the last few seasons due to probation and mediocrity. Now, with the right types of players, improved recruiting, and the prospect of coaching his son next season he seems back to his old self.

In terms of individual players, I will be the first to say i was a Frank Howard doubter. Not about his skills, but about his head. The kid looks 100% improved attitude wise. of course, his true test will come against better competition, which has flummoxed him in the past, but it looks like this season will be different. i sure hope so !!!

What can you say about Tyus ?? He has made it his team and he keeps coming up bigger and bigger. He is already a terrific collegiate player. I do think he will have to get rid of that hitch in his stroke to be successful at the next level. Hopefully, he gives us one more season after this one to correct that flaw & then he gets drafted into the lottery.

Brisset and Sidibe, solid performances from unheralded freshmen. Both will be stars down the road. If they can develop sooner rather than later maybe we can go dancing this season.

MD - he is the stat stuffing machine that I am eagerly looking forward to seeing. He, of course, needs to score better and that will come in time. But it sounds like his BB IQ and his energy level are off the charts. Just hope he is a multi-year player here & doesn't go back to Europe to play pro.

Chukwu - wow, he is coming on like an unstoppable freight train. He looked so clumsy last season, frankly, it appeared hopeless at times. Then he had the eye injury & voila, no more Chukwu. If he can give us 8 & 8 as another poster suggested along with some blocks and intimidations that would just be huge. However, no way will he be able to score 8 a game unless he starts to make some freebies. Otherwise he will just get hacked to death.

Thorpe - it is early from his injury recovery, but it looks like he will be able to contribute what he was brought in to do. We will definitely need him at times , because though I think Frank has turned the corner, I also think there will be some rough outings when he will need more than rotational help.

Moyer - so far he seems to be the only player not equaling or exceeding expectations. I will want to see him in games with my own eyes before rendering an opinion. He was a Top 100 recruit, he bleeds orange, and i did like his HS vids.

Washington - probably won't see enough court time this season to be able to tell, but i have always been in his corner & I have always felt he would be a major player by his junior year if not sooner.

So, all in all, going into this season it seemed like the STREAK might be in jeopardy & the NIT might well be the upside. Now, it is has changed. I fully expect the STREAK to continue. We are still a year away from being a true national power, but we will be very pesty, we will win some games as dogs, and we will have a legitimate chance to go dancing if everybody keeps it up as the schedule toughens.

I think what has gotten people excited is that they have shown such improvement from their exhibition games where it was pretty much a disaster. I’m not the only one who thought that. The hustle last night was unbelievable (although there was a 10 minute lapse first part of 2nd half that was concerning. The verdict is out about how we will fare with the better teams, and I am not expecting them to win many - or any - of those, but we may turn into one of those feisty teams that no one wants to play and that everyone wants to root for.

Well, let me start by saying i have not had an opportunity to see any of the games.

You should watch the highlights videos of each game. They will give you good insight.

The defense has been terrific.

Battle on offense has been terrific.

This team has very good traditional Orange formula for success. The team just needs to keep working and getting better on both ends. Hopefully we will continue winning to the point where I become completely Orange drunk off my chair!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom