Excited to finally have depth | Syracusefan.com

Excited to finally have depth

walsh2012

Starter
The amount of guys on scholarship we will have - even if many are young - for this incoming season shouldnt be overlooked.

If anything, practices will be a lot more competitive. Our starting five has been running against walk ons for the last two seasons. Next season, minutes will be up for grabs. whoever is on our first five will be running sets in practice against scholarship, ACC level recruits that will be hungry for PT.

More practices against better competition wil make everyone better

Being on a scholarship just means some coaches thought you were better than some guys not on scholarship

The amount of guys on scholarship we will have - even if many are young - for this incoming season shouldnt be overlooked.

If anything, practices will be a lot more competitive. Our starting five has been running against walk ons for the last two seasons. Next season, minutes will be up for grabs. whoever is on our first five will be running sets in practice against scholarship, ACC level recruits that will be hungry for PT.

Take your optimism and positivity elsewhere. As you can see, nobody here has time for that. Get your helmet on, the sky is always falling here.

Yeah, I believe the opportunity to practice against a guy your size at your own position, and scrimmage against a legitimate looking lineup, is a really big deal.

I really hope these guys develop. Lack of player development these last few years has really killed us, especially at center and forward.

Starting from most known to least known:
- Marek: needs to add strength/weight, better rebounder, and increase his offensive moves
- Hughes: needs to work on his handle, rebounding and game inside the 3 point line
- Buddy: (crazy he’s 3rd) strength, lateral movement/quickness and his handle and passing
- Carey: basically everything. Game needs to slow down for him. He’s playing too fast and the game is too fast for him. I hope both start to slow down so he can realize his full potential. Besides that, really needs to work on his outside shot and mid range game. He could be killer if he developed a mid range pull-up shot because he could use it when he gets by the first defender-
- Sidibe: health first and foremost. Followed by strength, rebounding and low post consistency. He’s really a wild card. He flashed in the past but I’m having doubts about his long term health
- Washington: health as well. So many unknowns for HW. When he was pressed into limited playing time he didn’t really show much. His whole game needs elevating, but I’m not sure it can be done given his limited athleticism. I doubt we see Buddy and HW on the floor at the same time because we’d be given up so much athletically
- Braswell: could be a diamond in the rough, but he’s so unknown. Wish he redshirted last year. Needs to add strength/weight first and foremost so he can bang down low. If RB develops into 80% of what Warrick developed into I think we hit a home run
- Quincy: unknown only because we haven’t seen him play outside of videos from Quebec. Seems to have an overall great game. Does he come ready to play from day one?
- Goodine: committed so long ago he seems to be flying under the radar. By all accounts a tremendous athlete, something we haven’t seen at guard in a while. A backcourt of Carey and Goodine would be one of the most athletic backcourts we’ve ever put on the floor. Still some questions if Goodine can play the point. Regardless, he’ll see the floor next year.
- JGIII: can his historic high school scoring ability transition to high major college? Going up against ACC competition is a major leap from NYS Class B. Also, Joe will no longer be splitting half his time between football and hoops. How much can he improve when he spends 100% of his time dedicated to only hoops?
- JBA: Great unknown. He’s only played organized ball for 4 years and was hurt for 1 of those years. He was once a top prospect in PA until he got hurt. Does he realize the full potential that experts saw two years ago?
- Edwards: all we have on Edwards are grainy videos of IMG post grad scrimmages. Looks like he has great fundamentals, but will he be ready to play?

I really hope these guys develop. Lack of player development these last few years has really killed us, especially at center and forward.

Starting from most known to least known:
- Marek: needs to add strength/weight, better rebounder, and increase his offensive moves
- Hughes: needs to work on his handle, rebounding and game inside the 3 point line
- Buddy: (crazy he’s 3rd) strength, lateral movement/quickness and his handle and passing
- Carey: basically everything. Game needs to slow down for him. He’s playing too fast and the game is too fast for him. I hope both start to slow down so he can realize his full potential. Besides that, really needs to work on his outside shot and mid range game. He could be killer if he developed a mid range pull-up shot because he could use it when he gets by the first defender-
- Sidibe: health first and foremost. Followed by strength, rebounding and low post consistency. He’s really a wild card. He flashed in the past but I’m having doubts about his long term health
- Washington: health as well. So many unknowns for HW. When he was pressed into limited playing time he didn’t really show much. His whole game needs elevating, but I’m not sure it can be done given his limited athleticism. I doubt we see Buddy and HW on the floor at the same time because we’d be given up so much athletically
- Braswell: could be a diamond in the rough, but he’s so unknown. Wish he redshirted last year. Needs to add strength/weight first and foremost so he can bang down low. If RB develops into 80% of what Warrick developed into I think we hit a home run
- Quincy: unknown only because we haven’t seen him play outside of videos from Quebec. Seems to have an overall great game. Does he come ready to play from day one?
- Goodine: committed so long ago he seems to be flying under the radar. By all accounts a tremendous athlete, something we haven’t seen at guard in a while. A backcourt of Carey and Goodine would be one of the most athletic backcourts we’ve ever put on the floor. Still some questions if Goodine can play the point. Regardless, he’ll see the floor next year.
- JGIII: can his historic high school scoring ability transition to high major college? Going up against ACC competition is a major leap from NYS Class B. Also, Joe will no longer be splitting half his time between football and hoops. How much can he improve when he spends 100% of his time dedicated to only hoops?
- JBA: Great unknown. He’s only played organized ball for 4 years and was hurt for 1 of those years. He was once a top prospect in PA until he got hurt. Does he realize the full potential that experts saw two years ago?
- Edwards: all we have on Edwards are grainy videos of IMG post grad scrimmages. Looks like he has great fundamentals, but will he be ready to play?
If we want Hughes to improve his rebounding we'll have to send him to attend Izzo's Michigan State summer camp.

If we want Hughes to improve his rebounding we'll have to send him to attend Izzo's Michigan State summer camp.

Toughness 101 doesn't exist in our program, let alone 201 or 401. Besides, how is Hughes or anyone for that matter expected to improve upon their rebounding when JB says "we don't box out, we play an area?" What if the ball consistently caroms in an "area" in which Hughes isn't standing...pigeon holed and all? ;)

Toughness 101 doesn't exist in our program, let alone 201 or 401. Besides, how is Hughes or anyone for that matter expected to improve upon their rebounding when JB says "we don't box out, we play an area?" What if the ball consistently caroms in an "area" in which Hughes isn't standing...pigeon holed and all? ;)
Had a neighbor named Carom. She was a binbo.