Exhibition Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Exhibition Thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
Syracuse played Pace who is predicted to finish 11th in their conference, meaning not only are they a D2 team, they're a bad D2 team, and they looked it. From now on I will refer to them as the not ready for prime time players. When you play a team that bad you cant learn much from player's performances. I think a lot more can be read into how the players were used.

I'm paraphrasing, but before the game Boeheim said that these exhibition games were more important than any in recent memory because with all the youth and new players the guys need more time playing together. We are also opening the season with a game against a ranked opponent for the first time in 25 years, so there will be no in-season warm ups.

All coaches say things pre-season that are only partly true, but the way Boeheim coached in this game you could clearly see that the above sentiments were genuine. He has always played man to man in exhibition games. I'm not exactly sure why, but he has. In this game Syracuse played zone the entire time. It was clear that Boeheim wanted to get the team as much game time as possible playing how they will have to play against San Diego St. It was also clear that this team is nowhere near where it has to be defensively.

Yes, Syracuse won 99-63, which is a typical SU exhibition stat line, but they did not play this game in the glorified practice way that Syracuse usually approaches exhibitions. They played it much closer to the way they will play in the regular season. Considering this, the outcome was disappointing. If last year's team played this not ready for prime time team and actually played zone for the entire game the score would have been closer to 150-25, and that is assuming they called off the dogs early.

This year's team is not as ready to go as the last several have been to start the year. That stood out to me in this game. That, and the fact that there are a few personnel issues Boeheim does not have a handle on yet.

There were two instances (one big and one small) where Boeheim was holding an open audition. I've never quite seen that before in an exhibition game. Normally that kind of stuff is figured out behind closed doors in practice.

The first, and big issue, is who will play center. Coleman or Christmas. In the first half, Christmas played center and Coleman played the wing. In the second half, Coleman played center and Christmas played the wing. Why would Boeheim set it up that way if he was not trying to determine who is better at what position? It seems pretty clear to me from what I saw that Fair and Southerland will be getting the majority of the minutes at the forward spots. That means either Coleman or Christmas is going to win the majority of the minutes at center (Kieta had a good game but is the same guy he was last year, a valuable back up).

I was hoping we might see a dynamic high-low set with Coleman (who can hit jump shots) up high and Christmas posting up physically outmatched power forwards. Syracuse ran that play several times, and it did not look effective enough to run against real opposition. This can change as the year goes on and these guys mature, but until it does they will be on the court together sparingly and mostly early in games. With Fair and Southerland on the court together when it matters.

So who will win the majority of the center minutes? I'm not quite ready to say yet, but I did love Coleman's hands. His teammates threw the ball to him often before he had established position. They simply got it high and expected him to come down with it. Yes, he was up against over matched competition, but the fact that the other guys made these passes (they didn't to anybody else) shows that he has proven in practice that he will come down with anything you throw his way. Good hands are huge for a big man, especially one who is strong enough to get good position, and skilled enough to hit free throws when fouled.

The second, smaller, issue was who will play in the 4th guard role. In this case Southerland was the guard in the first half and Fair was the guard in the second half. I thought Fair looked much more comfortable at the top of the zone (Southerland's lateral movement was too slow) but its clear that Boeheim is yet to decide who he thinks will fit in better as the fourth guard.

Another interesting (but probably meaningless) observation was that Kieta dunked twice. He always lays the ball up. I'm not sure I've ever seen him dunk unless it was a put-back, but today he went up strong and dunked when a lay up would have done the trick. Its a small issue, but I have to say I liked seeing it.

Now onto the meaningless player performance evaluations.

MCW could have scored any time he wanted. Of course, he had a guy who was literally a foot shorter than him trying to guard him. Early in the game MCW scored 7 or 8 straight points and Boeheim immediately took him out so the team could work on other things where they didn't have such a glaring advantage. Triche didn't look nearly as good going up against the tiny guards. Not sure what that means, if anything.

Grant has all the tools he needs to excel at Syracuse, but is going to need a year to hone them before he is ready for the big time.

Fair's jump shot looked good. He hung out a lot farther from the basket than he has in years past. He had to when we was playing with both Christmas and Coleman (which was the starting line up) but he also looked a lot more comfortable out there than in years past.

Southerland lead the team in scoring in this game and I wouldn't be surprised if he did so for the entire season.

That is pretty much all I've got. Going forward I am going to be looking to see how Coleman and Christmas play together, but I am also going to be assuming that only one of them gets really big minutes in meaningful games and that its a dog fight for that spot. I am going to be excited to see how Cooney changes the mix we already have. Mostly, I will keep an eye on the defense and hope for improvement.

Agreed on the Southerland/Fair comments with those two being on the floor together in crunch time. I also, without seeing tonight, would have to believe Fair is the better fit as the fourth guard.

Good observations re: the zone and the center position.

Good post. Agree with Coleman's hands. Baye seemed to catch everything. Did he ever get some surgery done over the summer? Grant and Rak snatched everything near them. I think the team in general has pretty good chemistry, bball IQ, and unselfishness already. Once they figure out their roles more and fix things defensively we should be fine. Like you say, Christmas/Coleman playing together will be worth watching going forward. Won't be surprised if the Aztecs beat us but that game is meaningless really and I expect to be in the top 10 all season.

I was impressed with our bigs hands and passing. Christmas probably led the team in assists last night.

I thought chemistry was a bit off, especially on the defensive side. However, with a young team that is to be expected. Offensively I think this team actually has more options/weapons than last year. They can score inside, mid-range, beyond the arc, driving and fast breaking. What concerns me is the defensive side. It seemed like they lost focus a bit at times defensively, evidenced by the times the zone kind of broke down they moved around too much. Notice when that started to happen JB called time outs to get them back into their set. When they were playing solid zone Pace really couldn't score. My other issue was the turn overs. Not sure if that was becuase of the opponent, meaning some of the passes were forced as the team was overconfident due to the low quality of the oppenent. Overall they played a good game and it seems the main two areas they need to work on is defense and taking care of the ball.

I was impressed with our bigs hands and passing. Christmas probably led the team in assists last night.

MCW had 7 assists to Rak's 5, but having 5 assists and 5 blocks shows a lot more court awareness for Xmas than what he showed last year.

Syracuse played Pace who is predicted to finish 11th in their conference, meaning not only are they a D2 team, they're a bad D2 team, and they looked it. From now on I will refer to them as the not ready for prime time players. When you play a team that bad you cant learn much from player's performances. I think a lot more can be read into how the players were used.

I'm paraphrasing, but before the game Boeheim said that these exhibition games were more important than any in recent memory because with all the youth and new players the guys need more time playing together. We are also opening the season with a game against a ranked opponent for the first time in 25 years, so there will be no in-season warm ups.

All coaches say things pre-season that are only partly true, but the way Boeheim coached in this game you could clearly see that the above sentiments were genuine. He has always played man to man in exhibition games. I'm not exactly sure why, but he has. In this game Syracuse played zone the entire time. It was clear that Boeheim wanted to get the team as much game time as possible playing how they will have to play against San Diego St. It was also clear that this team is nowhere near where it has to be defensively.

Yes, Syracuse won 99-63, which is a typical SU exhibition stat line, but they did not play this game in the glorified practice way that Syracuse usually approaches exhibitions. They played it much closer to the way they will play in the regular season. Considering this, the outcome was disappointing. If last year's team played this not ready for prime time team and actually played zone for the entire game the score would have been closer to 150-25, and that is assuming they called off the dogs early.

This year's team is not as ready to go as the last several have been to start the year. That stood out to me in this game. That, and the fact that there are a few personnel issues Boeheim does not have a handle on yet.

There were two instances (one big and one small) where Boeheim was holding an open audition. I've never quite seen that before in an exhibition game. Normally that kind of stuff is figured out behind closed doors in practice.

The first, and big issue, is who will play center. Coleman or Christmas. In the first half, Christmas played center and Coleman played the wing. In the second half, Coleman played center and Christmas played the wing. Why would Boeheim set it up that way if he was not trying to determine who is better at what position? It seems pretty clear to me from what I saw that Fair and Southerland will be getting the majority of the minutes at the forward spots. That means either Coleman or Christmas is going to win the majority of the minutes at center (Kieta had a good game but is the same guy he was last year, a valuable back up).

I was hoping we might see a dynamic high-low set with Coleman (who can hit jump shots) up high and Christmas posting up physically outmatched power forwards. Syracuse ran that play several times, and it did not look effective enough to run against real opposition. This can change as the year goes on and these guys mature, but until it does they will be on the court together sparingly and mostly early in games. With Fair and Southerland on the court together when it matters.

So who will win the majority of the center minutes? I'm not quite ready to say yet, but I did love Coleman's hands. His teammates threw the ball to him often before he had established position. They simply got it high and expected him to come down with it. Yes, he was up against over matched competition, but the fact that the other guys made these passes (they didn't to anybody else) shows that he has proven in practice that he will come down with anything you throw his way. Good hands are huge for a big man, especially one who is strong enough to get good position, and skilled enough to hit free throws when fouled.

The second, smaller, issue was who will play in the 4th guard role. In this case Southerland was the guard in the first half and Fair was the guard in the second half. I thought Fair looked much more comfortable at the top of the zone (Southerland's lateral movement was too slow) but its clear that Boeheim is yet to decide who he thinks will fit in better as the fourth guard.

Another interesting (but probably meaningless) observation was that Kieta dunked twice. He always lays the ball up. I'm not sure I've ever seen him dunk unless it was a put-back, but today he went up strong and dunked when a lay up would have done the trick. Its a small issue, but I have to say I liked seeing it.

MCW could have scored any time he wanted. Of course, he had a guy who was literally a foot shorter than him trying to guard him. Early in the game MCW scored 7 or 8 straight points and Boeheim immediately took him out so the team could work on other things where they didn't have such a glaring advantage. Triche didn't look nearly as good going up against the tiny guards. Not sure what that means, if anything.

Grant has all the tools he needs to excel at Syracuse, but is going to need a year to hone them before he is ready for the big time.

Fair's jump shot looked good. He hung out a lot farther from the basket than he has in years past. He had to when we was playing with both Christmas and Coleman (which was the starting line up) but he also looked a lot more comfortable out there than in years past.

Southerland lead the team in scoring in this game and I wouldn't be surprised if he did so for the entire season.

That is pretty much all I've got. Going forward I am going to be looking to see how Coleman and Christmas play together, but I am also going to be assuming that only one of them gets really big minutes in meaningful games and that its a dog fight for that spot. I am going to be excited to see how Cooney changes the mix we already have. Mostly, I will keep an eye on the defense and hope for improvement.

Your posts-to-likes ratio should be inverted. Great stuff, as always.

Especially agree with the bolded part. Lot of good stuff to build on, don't want to take too much away from this, but the defense resembled Flynn and Devendorf much more than it did the effort we've been so fortunate to have the past three years. Often clumsy and confused, with a lack of tenacity up top.

Some of that can be chalked up to odd lineup combinations (our top eight probably won't share the court with Grant too often this season, and it's tough to play without 33% of our guard rotation) and guys getting a feel for one another, but I got the sense that Boeheim took that game pretty seriously and saw a defense that needs to improve significantly (and quickly).

Yeah, that bounce pass when Triche cut to the hoop was fantastic. Didn't see a ton of that out of Rakeem last season; that was really impressive last night.

quote]

That's a great point. This was not 40 minutes of man to man defense like vs LeMoyne. I'm sure not having Cooney changed things up a bit. Be interesting to see the rotation Sunday with Cooney playing.

I felt like Pace was dictating the...pace. I felt it was.hard to get s good feel for our offense due to their incessant desire to foul us. Defensively we bit on ever pump fake made, if our young Gus just stay home and realize we have great length we'll be solid defensively.

Rak impressed me the most last night, played a cerebral brand of basketball. He's legit.

I just re-watched the game the only 2 things I can be certain about is James is handling the ball better and CJ's jumper is better. But this team was so small and over matched there's not much else there. They couldn't contest shots and everybody just dug at the ball but once we got the ball over our shoulders there was no contest. That will never happen in a real game. I can't wait to see Cooney because I don't James or CJ at the 2.

I thought ball handling and the passing of our guards was atrocious against the mighty-might Pace guars. MCW threw numerous questionable passes either cross court or into traffic. Triche, I don't know what it is, still looks uncomfortable dribbling more than 4 or 5 times and gets in trouble with his passing. This is going to be an issue all year. Maybe it was a concerted effort from Pace, but the transition game was not smooth or quick at all. Dion and Scoop thrived in that area last year and we need to find ways to get those points again this year.

This looks like a more half-court oriented team, so there are going to be scoring struggles at times this year. Ball handling needs to be cleaned up and MCW needs to get the ball up court faster going forward.

I thought ball handling and the passing of our guards was atrocious against the mighty-might Pace guars. MCW threw numerous questionable passes either cross court or into traffic. Triche, I don't know what it is, still looks uncomfortable dribbling more than 4 or 5 times and gets in trouble with his passing. This is going to be an issue all year. Maybe it was a concerted effort from Pace, but the transition game was not smooth or quick at all. Dion and Scoop thrived in that area last year and we need to find ways to get those points again this year.

This looks like a more half-court oriented team, so there are going to be scoring struggles at times this year. Ball handling needs to be cleaned up and MCW needs to get the ball up court faster going forward.

We really didn't look to push off misses like we usually do. Hope that's just a one-time thing.

Nice write up. I think that against most good opponents the 3 big men are going to rotate between 2 spots, with Fair and Southerland alternating at the remaining forward spot. I think he'd like James at the guard more than Fair because of James' shooting ability on the offensive end. Personally, I thought James was rangier and played the passing lanes at the top of the zone better than Fair did. Neither of them understood that as the second guard, they have to help bring the ball up court, and have to be able to rotate back on defense or else the other team will have fast break if our lone guard drives the lane.

I thought Keita showed much improved hands, was very vocal in the middle of the defense, and he showed much better court awareness of just where he needed to be on the offensive glass. To me, he was our best center last night, and will stay in the rotation all year long.

I don't think that Rakeem Christmas is going to elevate himself into a draft pick this year. I think we're going to have him for four years, unless he really improves his offensive game.

Coleman needs to get up to game speed, but by December, he is probably going to be a very effective low post scorer for us. He and Triche showed some nice chemistry on a couple entry passes, but overall, Brandon didn't have a particularly good game.

I just re-watched the game the only 2 things I can be certain about is James is handling the ball better and CJ's jumper is better. But this team was so small and over matched there's not much else there. They couldn't contest shots and everybody just dug at the ball but once we got the ball over our shoulders there was no contest. That will never happen in a real game. I can't wait to see Cooney because I don't James or CJ at the 2.

You could add that Keita caught the ball a lot better.

There has been a lot written about how Rakeem really bulked up in the off season. He also looks like the game has slowed down for him and he is making much better decisions. I was disappointed in his offensive game. Other than dunks, he showed no offensive moves. I expected some kind of post up game. Other than improving his bball IQ and strength, didn't he work on some basic low post moves??

Is their team name really the Pace Setters? Because that is awesome

There has been a lot written about how Rakeem really bulked up in the off season. He also looks like the game has slowed down for him and he is making much better decisions. I was disappointed in his offensive game. Other than dunks, he showed no offensive moves. I expected some kind of post up game. Other than improving his bball IQ and strength, didn't he work on some basic low post moves??

I thought the same thing but when I re-watched the game I realized you can't judge post moves on little guys who are just trying to dig at the ball and not play like a true big man. You need post defense to make a post move

Nice write up. I think that against most good opponents the 3 big men are going to rotate between 2 spots, with Fair and Southerland alternating at the remaining forward spot.

I don't think that Rakeem Christmas is going to elevate himself into a draft pick this year. I think we're going to have him for four years, unless he really improves his offensive game.

Coleman needs to get up to game speed, but by December, he is probably going to be a very effective low post scorer for us. He and Triche showed some nice chemistry on a couple entry passes, but overall, Brandon didn't have a particularly good game.

Yeah, I feel the same way on Triche and Coleman, though I don't expect Coleman to put up huge numbers per se. As for Rak, I'm not really sure what his draft stock is either, but really it would be pretty great if we had him for four years regardless. Whether or not he's an NBA guy, he's an elite athlete.

But I disagree on Southerland/Fair and the big guys. It's all projection, so who knows, but I'd wager that Southerland and Fair share the floor far more often than not against good teams.

I agree with General20's assessment. Christmas was the best in the middle of the zone. Coleman really isn't agile or quick enough to get out to the corner. More problematic early in the season, he looks at times like he has no idea who he is supposed to cover. Grant is quicker and looks good more than not, but also looks lost on where he is supposed to be in the zone. We are not very good on defense coming out of practice. Coleman can give us a lot on offense, if we can get the ball in to him. In the Pace game we had some success going over the short defenders, but that option will not be there as the competition improves. Christmas can block shots and anchor the zone, but other than dunks or put-backs, our scoring is going to come from our guards and wings. I thought our defense looked very average against an overmatched opponent in Pace. Joseph (even though he would miss assignments) was solid and Fab was crazy good in the middle. We have great young players that will have to learn how to play the zone very quickly or we're going to lose more than a few games in the first half of the season. We will not have the offense from the newcomers to compensate for their inexperience at the base of the zone.

Yeah, I feel the same way on Triche and Coleman, though I don't expect Coleman to put up huge numbers per se. As for Rak, I'm not really sure what his draft stock is either, but really it would be pretty great if we had him for four years regardless. Whether or not he's an NBA guy, he's an elite athlete.

But I disagree on Southerland/Fair and the big guys. It's all projection, so who knows, but I'd wager that Southerland and Fair share the floor far more often than not against good teams.

It all depends on how we're rebounding. If we can compete on the boards with the two of them in there against a big physical team, I'll be impressed. I think match ups against the elite teams will require two bigs on the floor for much of the game.

There will be spots in every game when Fair and Southerland will play together. That will be when the other team goes small, or JB wants some additional offense. But I think we're going to see 2 bigs for long stretches against good teams.

Agree on Southerland. Nice to see southerland slow down on his jumpers. Real smooth out there. Much smoother then Joseph last year and I fully believe James will have the green light this year.

I imagine Coleman is going to start rolling off his man and finding holes in the defense better. I imagine that can be fixed in something like 7-8 games. Love his foul shooting.

Fair Keita Rak good game.Triche will pick it up just a slow start from him. Hope Grants finds the defense to get some minutes this year, hes so tall out there. MCW is so fun to watch. Not much to get from last night.

It all depends on how we're rebounding. If we can compete on the boards with the two of them in there against a big physical team, I'll be impressed. I think match ups against the elite teams will require two bigs on the floor for much of the game.

There will be spots in every game when Fair and Southerland will play together. That will be when the other team goes small, or JB wants some additional offense. But I think we're going to see 2 bigs for long stretches against good teams.

Yeah, I don't question the premise that having two bigs out there is much better for pretty much everyone involved. That said, they can't really play much of Keita/Chistmas because that's just not enough offense in any way shape or form. And they may be limited in how much Xmas/Coleman they can run out there based on foul trouble and conditioning. If those aren't factors I'd guess you are right. I'll also add the caveat that I haven't seen Coleman play.

But I just think JB tends to go with his best veteran players so long as he can get them on the court together unless he has a frosh that just makes it near impossible to take him off the floor. Perhaps Coleman is that, in which case we're all very happy.

At the end of the day, either way, there will be plenty of minutes to go around. If you figure on 120 from the 3, 4, 5 spots: Fair 30, Xmas/Coleman/Southerland each at 25 and Keita at 15 gets you to that number. Obviously it won't be quite that clean, but I'd say that's about right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom