Explosive Plays | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Explosive Plays

What was also encouraging: No bad snaps from Macky. Nothing but right in Nassib's hands.

Well with 7:30 left in the 3rd, we had 250 yards. 3 drives over 40 yards through the first 10 drives. After re-watching the game and soaking in the drive chart, it wasn't quite as glowing a performance (throughout the whole game), as I remembered. Obviously after falling behind 35-13, it was a completely different performance.

I don't know about that

1st Q, 26 yds FG, 61 yds, FG, 7yds, Punt, 82yds TD (Carried over to 3 minutes into the 2nd) Three scores, 13 pts, 176 yds.

2nd Q, 27 yds, Int, 1 yd, Punt, 22 yds, Fumble, 1 yd Punt. 2 TO's, 2 Punts, 0 pts. 59yds total.

3rd Q, 8 yds Fumble, 43 yds, missed FG, 77 yds, TD, 91 yds, TD. 1 TO, 3 scoreing changes, two TD's, 14 pts, 219 yds

4th Q, 86 yds, TD, 72 yds, TD, 13 yds, Gameover. Two TD's, 13 pts, 171 yds.

They had one bad quarter, they played well right out of the gate. NW adjusted and SU finally was able to adjust to that, which wasn't possible very much in the past.

I disagree. At 13-7 in the second quarter, we were driving, and literally the play before the Nassib-Sales INT, I turned to my wife and said, "We're better than these guys."

You wait all off season and wonder if we're really going to be better. You hope we're going to be better. You want to believe we're going to be better. But there it was. To that point, we'd given up a punt return. We had two short FG drives, one drive for a score and were on our way to more points. Of course, then adversity struck. And it seemed to last a quarter, to the point where you hoped we'd muster a comeback. And then, we did. The same team that was on the field for the first 20 minutes finished up the final 20 minutes. This was a dominating performance in most aspects of the game, save special teams and mental mistakes.

It's infuriating that we lost. But there is so much to build on. I have no doubt after this game that the hope will be fulfilled. I have no idea what that means in terms of wins and losses. But the days of being a bottom feeder are gone. That, I'm sure of.

Yep

Plenty of big plays Saturday no question about it, need to see that over the course of the year though this is game 1 not 7.

Half of the 3rd and the entirety of the 4th, absolutely. 350 yards were put up in the last 20 minutes (which is absurd). For example, the 2nd quarter we put up a whopping 50 yards. Out of our first 10 drives, 3 were 40 yards or more.

I think the great ending is skewing some's memory on what actually played out. And this is not a complaint about the overall production, as I said in an earlier post, 600 yards is 600 yards. But there were large stretches of time (i.e 2nd quarter/early 3rd) where we really didn't do all that much.
Tell me about it. I listened to the good parts...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

We made their weak secondary look silly.

We may have beaten them up, I'm not sure I agree but don't really have an opinion either way. But to be fair, their secondary sucked.

44cuse

Fwiw...if this is what Marrone had in mind from the get go, imagine his horror to discover that the starting center he inherited couldn't snap a shotgun reliably.

Wasnt McKenzie the starting center he inherited? He also inherited the best receiver to play at SU since Harrison, and a workhorse running back. He had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a QB though.

Wasnt McKenzie the starting center he inherited? He also inherited the best receiver to play at SU since Harrison, and a workhorse running back. He had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a QB though.

Bartholomew.

I don't know about that

1st Q, 26 yds FG, 61 yds, FG, 7yds, Punt, 82yds TD (Carried over to 3 minutes into the 2nd) Three scores, 13 pts, 176 yds.

2nd Q, 27 yds, Int, 1 yd, Punt, 22 yds, Fumble, 1 yd Punt. 2 TO's, 2 Punts, 0 pts. 59yds total.

3rd Q, 8 yds Fumble, 43 yds, missed FG, 77 yds, TD, 91 yds, TD. 1 TO, 3 scoreing changes, two TD's, 14 pts, 219 yds

4th Q, 86 yds, TD, 72 yds, TD, 13 yds, Gameover. Two TD's, 13 pts, 171 yds.

They had one bad quarter, they played well right out of the gate. NW adjusted and SU finally was able to adjust to that, which wasn't possible very much in the past.

There you have it.

Bartholomew.

It was McKenzie. He was the center for Paulus.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If this years offense is significantly different, why didn't we run this offenses last year? What kept us from that?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

In regards to the tempo, I think it was the offensive line. Mainly Tiller. Nothing against the guy, but I can't see him maintaining a no huddle pace all game and the difference between him and the guy behind him on the depth chart was significant.

Now, you see a bit of a rotation at RG (whether that lasts, who knows). And Alexander will find his way to the bench once Pugh returns.

This is a more athletic line (as a whole) then Cuse has had in about 10 years, IMO.

The no huddle is an excellent offense when you have a nice pace going on but a couple of 3 and out's hurts it more than a slower pace offense. When it is working it looks wonderful but you also need a defense that is good and in shape to win games. I absolutely loved seeing all the different receivers step up and do some good things and that is one thing 90+ possessions will do. I like the adjustments that were made during the game even though I thought they waited too long to go long and Nassib missed a few wide open guys long when he dumped off instead. Again, they made the adjustment and that was good but they have to look long earlier when that opportunity arises and not wait, it may not happen again. I do feel Nassib will do that but taking what the defense gives you is what a good offense does...drilling them and doing whatever you want is what great offenses do.

I am confused why the 72 yds that we started the 2nd quarter with dont count towards the total for the quarter?

72 yds, then 27 yds and int when we were driving. and looked to be taking control of the game.
then one bad drive, then a fumble drive and a hurry up drive with two min to go
it was actually

1st 89 yds 1 punt 2 scores
2nd 100 yds 1 score 2 punts , two To's
3rd 210 yds 2 tds, 1 missed fg
4th 170 yds 2 tds

the fumble cost a FG try and we missed one and also had two others..

I think the skepticism comes from the fact that we didn't really produce much offensively until we got down by 22 points. Before that, we had about 250 yards and 13 points (midway thru the 3rd). That's fact. 350 yards were gained after the score was 35-13.

I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here because I'm absolutely thrilled that its even possible that we could end up with 600 yards but I can see how some would need to see a much more even offensive performance before we start predicting Big East titles.

Offense by quarters; # possessions; result of drive

Q1 - 31 plays 176 yards. 4 possessions. fg, fg, punt, td
Q2 - 10 plays 50 yards. 4 possessions. int, punt, fumble, punt
Q3 - 29 plays 219 yards. 4 possessions. fumble, miss fg, td, td
Q4 - 25 plays 171 yards. 3 possessions. td, td, game over

again you are missing the whole scoring drive that took place in the 2nd quarter. the TD was in the 2nd quarter as well. the drive chart is when it started and only 3 plays of the 16 play drive were in that quarter and two were penalties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom