Express running play on 3rd and 2 | Syracusefan.com

Express running play on 3rd and 2

Fjoinkay

Starter
on the first possession of the second half? It worked the first 2 times because we caught them off guard. And even though it worked the LV defense had penetration but Bailey was able to beat it to the edge and turn the corner. The 3rd time was not the charm and it killed a huge possession. Why not go with J Smith or AAM, North and South, instead of running Bailey laterally to the outside? HCDM says every week that he prefers N/S running.

Worst thing was it was the same exact play, run and direction. Isn't there a fake or a mis-direction variant? LOL

I'm okay with the call. They won big last week finding a couple plays that worked and going back to them.

IIRC we got a three-and-out, got the ball right back around the same spot and sputtered.

If we don't run the Express again there's already a three-page thread on here about how we should have run it every play.

I'm okay with the call. They won big last week finding a couple plays that worked and going back to them.

IIRC we got a three-and-out, got the ball right back around the same spot and sputtered.

If we don't run the Express again there's already a three-page thread on here about how we should have run it every play.

True about that thread. I hate to comment on play calling because it's something I've never done, and I realize that as a fan I'm in the dark about probably 90 percent of the information that goes into making those calls. For me, that was just one of those calls that the timing felt very wrong and then logically it failed it left me scratching my head a bit.

We use Bailey too much. I'm sorry last week vs WV we played the 2 kid RB's more and had lots of success. We try and use Bailey as an every down back and it fails. We need to rotate backs more. Today Bailey got what 15 carries. I think Moore had 1 and Smith had 1. That's not a recipe for success. We need to get the young guys more involved and use Bailey more wisely.

We use Bailey too much. I'm sorry last week vs WV we played the 2 kid RB's more and had lots of success. We try and use Bailey as an every down back and it fails. We need to rotate backs more. Today Bailey got what 15 carries. I think Moore had 1 and Smith had 1. That's not a recipe for success. We need to get the young guys more involved and use Bailey more wisely.

I'll take it a step further, against teams with strong fronts why don't we just put Bailey in the slot pretty much the whole game. We can still run trick plays, the wildcat, and give him the occasional series as a traditional runner, but meanwhile we give the WR a boost and get the big kids out there that are much better suited for some smashmouth ball.

Bailey attracts defenders so I like the idea of moving him around more. I thought Nassib struggled again on screen passes. The timing rarely looks good. Today the ball floated. Bailey had to jump and twist to catch the ball and the rhythm of the play was shot. And then on one screen I thought Bailey gave up yards going sideways instead of north-south. SU needs every yard it can get. I don't mind short passes at all as long as players execute and move the chains.

I'll take it a step further, against teams with strong fronts why don't we just put Bailey in the slot pretty much the whole game. We can still run trick plays, the wildcat, and give him the occasional series as a traditional runner, but meanwhile we give the WR a boost and get the big kids out there that are much better suited for some smashmouth ball.
What? How does having an undersized WR that can't break bump and run/press coverage helping the WRs? This myth that because Twon's small he can't play smashmouth ball is ridiculous. He trucked that LB from WFVU last week and has been getting over 100 his last 3 games until this week. He's also a great protector for the QB and rarely misses blitz pickup.

And your idea is that we pretty much take him completely out of the game for two completely unproven commodities who have never broken a run over 10 yards because they are "better suited for smashmouth ball." Did you read that before you posted? Must have sounded a lot better in your head.

I'm assuming "The Express" = "The Stallion" = "The Wildcat."

It looked pretty good today.

What? How does having an undersized WR that can't break bump and run/press coverage helping the WRs? This myth that because Twon's small he can't play smashmouth ball is ridiculous. He trucked that LB from WFVU last week and has been getting over 100 his last 3 games until this week. He's also a great protector for the QB and rarely misses blitz pickup.

And your idea is that we pretty much take him completely out of the game for two completely unproven commodities who have never broken a run over 10 yards because they are "better suited for smashmouth ball." Did you read that before you posted? Must have sounded a lot better in your head.

Is it much crazier than continuing to try the same thing over and over again? I think the guy can get open, but we are wasting his touches on carries he isn't suited for. How many of his good days have come via one long run that may have been great for stats, but means the rest of the day he was mediocre at best? Marrone wants a power run, Bailey isn't the guy for grinding out first downs against teams more physical than we are.

Is it much crazier than continuing to try the same thing over and over again? I think the guy can get open, but we are wasting his touches on carries he isn't suited for. How many of his good days have come via one long run that may have been great for stats, but means the rest of the day he was mediocre at best? Marrone wants a power run, Bailey isn't the guy for grinding out first downs against teams more physical than we are.
Yet on those "grinding" runs he still gets more yardage than AAM or Jerome Smith... Strange. Guess we should put in the guys that get less yards.

how do you know?

Those guys come in on short yardage situations and are asked to get short yardage. If we used them to run between the tackles and used Bailey as a traditional halfback to get him on the edge or in space, Bailey and Syracuse would be alot more effective.

Those guys come in on short ayrdage situaitons and are asked to get short yardage. If we used them to run between the tackles and used Bailey as a trational halfback to get him on the edge or in space, Bailey and Syracuse would be alot more effective.

agreed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom