Extended highlights vs Carleton | Syracusefan.com

Extended highlights vs Carleton

Since I only had radio last night it was great to see these highlights. Thanks for sharing.

I know this is only a condensed version of 40 minutes, but two things stood out to me. 1) - I really, really like most of the ball movement on offense. Quite a change from the past few years. 2) - Do we have a true rim protector? Didn't really notice much from the centres in that area.

I loved the way girard played. When he has he ball in his hands I feel a sense of calmness, a calmness I have yet to feel with any other player who has brought the ball up this year or last lol He can make his own shot and takes control of the ball very well from the run he had this game. He is a player that will get his run every game and if (when) he gets hot then he will stay on the court. So happy to win that recruiting battle.

(Look out)

I think Buddy's still a defensive liability. I also like his game and think he's a pretty good player. It is possible for both things to be true.

My initial impression on Tuesday was that there were a few problems that led to Carleton penetrating at will and getting good looks at the rim in the second half. Watching those highlights above, there seems to be a more common denominator - the Syracuse defender who keeps getting beat off the dribble, leading to our center or strong-side wing getting pulled out of position to stop the ball.

Good job by Carleton's coaches to identify this and good job by their guards to exploit it.

Coincidentally, I was impressed with Boeheim's own success with the dribble drive the other night, resulting in a couple buckets and a couple assists. That versatility will help (we haven't really had that from our off guard for five or six years). And maybe either the defensive lateral quickness will catch up or at least the offense will offset the defensive breakdowns.

I really like this team. The amount of good shooters is obvious. It is a luxury to have multiple scorers if someone is cold. That Goodine baseline move around 6 minutes really shows off his athleticism. The overall passing already seems better than last year. I think the defense and rebounding will only improve during the season.

At the 6:19 mark Girard tried to beat his man off the dibble because the defender was pressed up on him which everyone will do because of his shooting ability. He drove in jumped off of two feet and shot an air ball layup. Against a ACC opponent its a blocked shot. He needs to develop a floater. I point this out because expectations have gotten completely out of hand. I do not see him as a better athlete than Buddy, but he is 5" or 6" shorter. At the 5:37 mark Girard gave up a straight line drive leading to a dump off and a bucket. I think he with will struggle at the top of the zone. I question his foot speed and is jumping ability, if he was 6'-6" I wouldn't be as concerned but at 6'-1" you need to be quick to play at this level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom