Eye of the beholder | Syracusefan.com

Eye of the beholder

RF2044

Living Legend
It's funny--I've been looking at NBA draft grades / opinions, specifically as they pertain to Dion, and the assessments are completely all over the board.

Last night, Bilas picked Cleveland as his draft "winner," and went on to talk glowingly about Dion. Gottlieb on the radio this morning said that he didn't just like the Cleveland pick, he loved it.

Some of the grades on the major sports sites view the pick favorably, others unfavorably.

Opinions are all over the board on this one.

I was browsing over at the FearTheSword Cav's blog and they absolutely hate the pick. board was in meltdown last night haha.

the reality is; who the hell knows. The draft is such an inexact science. I love how much stock we all (and I definitely include myself in this group) put into each pick and all that. It's close to impossible to predict how 18 and 19 year old kids are going to develop.

Btw, classic Spurs pick with Marcus Denmon. Dude is probably gonna make a ton of corner 3's next year.

the reality is; who the hell knows. The draft is such an inexact science. I love how much stock we all (and I definitely include myself in this group) put into each pick and all that. It's close to impossible to predict how 18 and 19 year old kids are going to develop.

Btw, classic Spurs pick with Marcus Denmon. Dude is probably gonna make a ton of corner 3's next year.

That's why the Spurs have had such sustained excellence.

It does seem silly. The teams themselves put in countless hours of research; film study, interviews, individual workouts, psychology tests, background. Ultimately, they are making educated guesses. Who the hell knows?

It's fun to have an opinion, I just try to avoid speaking in such definitive terms.

That's why the Spurs have had such sustained excellence.

Yeah, before I realized the Spurs didn't have a first rounder I predicted to a friend they'd land Draymond Green. Then when I woke up this morning and saw they got Denmon, I just smiled. I don't expect the kid to be a star or anything, but I would not be surprised if he's a dude like Gary Neal who randomly makes a bunch of 3's next year.

Last night, Bilas picked Cleveland as his draft "winner," and went on to talk glowingly about Dion. Gottlieb on the radio this morning said that he didn't just like the Cleveland pick, he loved it.

To be fair he said he loved the pick if they use Dion like JB did. Coming off the bench as the 6th man. He said if they plan on starting him and using him as a conventional 2 that he did not like the pick.

I think Dion was actually a very strong pick for the Cavs. Putting him next to Irving was great. If he had gone one spot higher or lower, I would have hated it. He wouldn't work with either Wall or in Sacto (ballhogs). A lot of it is about fit. Dion is a great fit next to Irving.

Even if Dion is a tad undersized at the 2, Irving is a big 1. Dion isn't a great distance shooter, but Irving is a very good one. I love the dynamic these two could have on the court. I think Beal may have been a better choice (he has more potential from distance), but Dion is a great selection for them if they were going after a 2 guard.

I do think the #4 was high for Dion, as I don't think he was the 4th best player in the draft, but like Bilas said, if you like the kid and he's there, take him. It would have been better if the Cavs had the 6th pick or so and gotten Waiters, but obviously they couldn't make the trade down. Again, I do think he was one of the best fits for Cleveland.

I'm not as big a fan of Zeller, he'll be OK, but I'm not sure he is a starter in the NBA, but he will be a good bench player so I guess it's a win. I guess he backs up Sideshow Bob for a few years and Cleveland has a chance to pick a better center while those young kids grow.

This is how the Rich keep getting Richer. The Spurs and Lakers both hit gold last night - I think DJO is going to be the steal of the draft, and he is such a great fit for the Lakers. Denmon seems like the perfect Spurs system guy.

I think the Thunder might have made the biggest steal of the draft, though. They had a guy with Top 5 talent fall into their laps. Jones could thrive now that he doesn't have to be The Man.

This is how the Rich keep getting Richer. The Spurs and Lakers both hit gold last night - I think DJO is going to be the steal of the draft, and he is such a great fit for the Lakers. Denmon seems like the perfect Spurs system guy.

I think the Thunder might have made the biggest steal of the draft, though. They had a guy with Top 5 talent fall into their laps. Jones could thrive now that he doesn't have to be The Man.

I said to my buddy...let's say the Jones pick HITS...then you have the low post game that Perkins/Ibaka didn't have..and you have Westbrook slashin /Durant hitting 3s...even if Harden leaves...that's your West Conf finalist for the next 5 years easy.

I said to my buddy...let's say the Jones pick HITS...then you have the low post game that Perkins/Ibaka didn't have..and you have Westbrook slashin /Durant hitting 3s...even if Harden leaves...that's your West Conf finalist for the next 5 years easy.

I look at PErry Jones as a Joe Smith type player. Good athlete but never really cares. Type 5 talent but I doubt he ever does much besides be a role player. At that pick though he won't be considered a bust