Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

You forget DC and Billy, they were both great passers, and could do a lot of other things. Put either of those 2 on last year's team and the are a shue in for the tourney.
Malig was a nice role player on a good team, not a star.
DC was so good he could have led my intramural team to the tournament. And I think it was 32 teams back then.

I imagine too that losing the coach who recruited him, GMac, didn’t help either. He entered the transfer portal within a few days after GMac was announced as the new coach at Siena. MaliQ had a great game when we played at Duke with 26 points on 11-16 shooting including 1 for 2 from the 3 point line and 7 rebounds. Obviously Duke had him on their radar.

You’re right, Cherie. I forgot about GMac leaving right around that time. That was probably the final straw. Oh well, I’m excited to see Jyare, Donnie, Lamp and Bell work the front court. Would have been nice to have Maliq, but cest la vie. We march onward! LGO

I haven't heard anyone disagree with anything except the "liability" word (much less consider kcsu's take outrageous).

And calling him a liability has to do with how good a team you've got. Not everyone has to be a "go to" guy on offense, but if you want a team that's unstoppable, then yeah, you need every guy on the floor to be able to create their own opportunities.
That's an excellent point. Last year we had a team that just simply didn't fit well together.
Liability in my use equals a deficit.
Again I'm talking about Maliq at the 4 spot on offense not the 5.
As a forward he really didn't need to be covered. If you watch games he would become a statue. Other players often JJ or Judah would literally have to run to him and in essence get a hand off from Maliq because he had no handle. Yes I was a good passer but that was against Bigs. Not when he was playing forward which was rare. And why was it rare. Because he didn't bring anything to the offense from the 4 spot.
Maliq is a nice complimentary player who is unfortunately to small to play the 5 and lacks the offensive skills to play the 4 in today's game.
I like the skill set of the DE transfer much better at the 4 spot and believe he will do well for us.
Maliq should do well at Duke. He will give them solid D and rebounding and will probably play 15 or so a game.
I'm a fan of Maliq and appreciate all he did last year as without him we don't win 20. Probably not 15. Kid is a warrior and I didn't mean to put him down. I should have articulated my thoughts on his offensive limitations differently.

What irritates me about Maliq leaving is that he was a 3-star kid who didn’t play in the top level AAU circuit and probably would have played at a mid-major in college. But we recruited him and took a chance on him and helped him develop, gave him lots of playing time as a freshman, and even made him a focal point of what we wanted to do on offense and defense this past year, but then he bolts for the evil empire of Duke.
Lazy take, his top 5 was Syracuse, Vt, Gtown, NC State, Penn State

Maliq is a nice complimentary player who is unfortunately to small to play the 5 and lacks the offensive skills to play the 4 in today's game.
I like the skill set of the DE transfer much better at the 4 spot and believe he will do well for us.
Maliq should do well at Duke.
This is the part I agree with. Maliq is REALLY good at what he does, but he doesn't have the offense to be the star of the show. That's why he probably will be a great fit for Duke because there will be crazy talent all around him. They won't need him to do anything beyond what we've seen he can do.

I also agree that for us, maybe Jayre will be a better fit. I'd still rather have Maliq backing up the 4/5, but we may be in better shape with Jayre than some think.

Jyare still putting in that work and rocking the Cuse shorts while home in Philly...
He’s going to want to put up a bunch of threes. I hope they come within the team scheme.

He’s going to want to put up a bunch of threes. I hope they come within the team scheme.

Until he proves otherwise, he should be kept on the Jr. Fair / Soph Malik Brown plan:

You get to take 1 wide open 3 per half.
IF it goes in you get to take another one.
IF not, then you have to wait til you're wiiiide open again in the 2nd half to try another.

CJ shot like 47% from 3 (on limited attempts, naturally)
Malik hit 37%, most of which happened in ACC play, (on very limited attempts).
(he didn't attempt any 3's as a Frosh)

Why do you think this? He took 78 all last season and he was the leading scorer for Delaware and the focus of their offense.

That is less 3s than Judah and Justin took for Syracuse.

He seems to know who he is. I do expect him to come off the bench and probably take a lot of shots. He is probably going to be our go to sub when the offense is stagnant and they need someone to come in and put some points up quickly.

I would think if he does take a lot of 3s and doesn’t make a high percentage, it is going to lead to greatly reduced playing time.

Why do you think this? He took 78 all last season and he was the leading scorer for Delaware and the focus of their offense.

That is less 3s than Judah and Justin took for Syracuse.

He seems to know who he is. I do expect him to come off the bench and probably take a lot of shots. He is probably going to be our go to sub when the offense is stagnant and they need someone to come in and put some points up quickly.

I would think if he does take a lot of 3s and doesn’t make a high percentage, it is going to lead to greatly reduced playing time.
Just a jaded, flippant comment about the state of the game, and how all the one-year players are maybe a tad more invested in NBA auditions than building with a system over time. I don’t know this guy or what’s in his mind. I don’t have the technology.

I do think, though, that the reason for jumping up to a more prominent school is for exposure and when you’re compromising minutes for exposure, and you also need to demonstrate the skills that will be expected of you at any next level (nba/europe, etc.) he’s going to want to do that. He’s a 6’6” guy who isn’t going to be a PF/C after college, and guys of his stature will likely have to show a three ball and defense. The latter is good for us. We shall see about the former.

This is also coming from having heard Lampkin’s interview where he said he is working on a lot of pieces of his game that haven’t been seen before. And he said his player comp is Naz Reid. Which sorta indicates his interests are in showing the NBA he can be a stretch 4, while we thought we were getting a banging 5. Not that we can’t exploit new skills, but it seemed like we specifically went after him to fill a different role. All of this will obviously converge and mash up and meld and Red will have to hammer structure and efficiency. I just don’t want to see a Donte Green scenario, where the big guy is forcing indisciplined threes at a low percentage.

Just a jaded, flippant comment about the state of the game, and how all the one-year players are maybe a tad more invested in NBA auditions than building with a system over time. I don’t know this guy or what’s in his mind. I don’t have the technology.

I do think, though, that the reason for jumping up to a more prominent school is for exposure and when you’re compromising minutes for exposure, and you also need to demonstrate the skills that will be expected of you at any next level (nba/europe, etc.) he’s going to want to do that. He’s a 6’6” guy who isn’t going to be a PF/C after college, and guys of his stature will likely have to show a three ball and defense. The latter is good for us. We shall see about the former.

This is also coming from having heard Lampkin’s interview where he said he is working on a lot of pieces of his game that haven’t been seen before. And he said his player comp is Naz Reid. Which sorta indicates his interests are in showing the NBA he can be a stretch 4, while we thought we were getting a banging 5. Not that we can’t exploit new skills, but it seemed like we specifically went after him to fill a different role. All of this will obviously converge and mash up and meld and Red will have to hammer structure and efficiency. I just don’t want to see a Donte Green scenario, where the big guy is forcing indisciplined threes at a low percentage.

I think you mold this with our own PTSD as Cuse fans too. I too worry but feel some of our pain will hopefully be absolved a bit this year.

I think you mold this with our own PTSD as Cuse fans too. I too worry but feel some of our pain will hopefully be absolved a bit this year.
IMG_4248.gif

It’s interesting to me how Davis has become the recruit that fans are unsure of. If you look at 247 he is technically the highest ranked recruit who is coming to the program.

Love what Red and Staff has done in the portal. Would like to add one more capable Big to go along side Eddie.

It’s interesting to me how Davis has become the recruit that fans are unsure of. If you look at 247 he is technically the highest ranked recruit who is coming to the program.

Love what Red and Staff has done in the portal. Would like to add one more capable Big to go along side Eddie.
I think we will

I think we will

Hopefully the Max Allen kid… not a lot of productive options especially with years left to play…

After him there is a kid out there who played at Sacred Heart then a bunch who really have no playing experience or very limited or a kid like Mac Etienne who was a massive bust after the injury

Hopefully the Max Allen kid… not a lot of productive options especially with years left to play…

After him there is a kid out there who played at Sacred Heart then a bunch who really have no playing experience or very limited or a kid like Mac Etienne who was a massive bust after the injury
I have been told that we are not that hot for the Allen kid

i would not be shocked to see Davis at the 3 with Bell at the 2 if in fact JJ is going to start at pg.

JJ
Bell
Davis
Freeman
Lampkin
Nice looking lineup

i would not be shocked to see Davis at the 3 with Bell at the 2 if in fact JJ is going to start at pg.

JJ
Bell
Davis
Freeman
Lampkin
Nice looking lineup

Don't see it.

Davis is a stretch 4. He is a big, strong power forward. Statistically, shooting from outside isn't his best attribute [although I believe evidence -- i.e., his quality FT% shooting -- suggests that he's a better shooter than what the results indicate]. He also doesn't handle / pass, or do anything else like a typical 3.

He's a complimentary shooter who can knock down shots if left open.

Zero chance Bell plays the 2. He'd be a worse 2 than Andrew White, another guy a segment of the board tried to round peg / square hole into the 2. And your lineup poses the same challenges that the 2017 squad had, if guys like White played the 2 / Lydon at the 3, when the point guard duty was handled by a limited PG like Howard.

If JJ plays the point, the lineup would already have ball-handling limitations that would be exponentially exacerbated playing Bell at the 2 / Davis at the 3.