Fab Melo, slammed in Syracuse, gets chance for new basketball identity | Syracusefan.com

Fab Melo, slammed in Syracuse, gets chance for new basketball identity

A lot of people use the excuse that Fab didn't no english and that that's why he failed. Couldn't the same be said about Baye and you don't see him with any of the same troubles?

Fab drew ire his freshman year due to lack of conditioning. I think that was a more significant issue that his lack of experience as a fairly new player.

It is hard to comment on his suspension at the end of the year, because the true reason hasn't come out. But some of the things I've heard make it sound preventable, which is tough to accept as a fan. Especially with the team we had last year, and the kind of year we had. We came within a few points of making the final four WITHOUT him; with him...who knows, because the transitive property doesn't apply, but it is hard not to think that he would have made a difference defensively against Sullinger in the second half of that game.

Fab drew ire his freshman year due to lack of conditioning. I think that was a more significant issue that his lack of experience as a fairly new player.

It is hard to comment on his suspension at the end of the year, because the true reason hasn't come out. But some of the things I've heard make it sound preventable, which is tough to accept as a fan. Especially with the team we had last year, and the kind of year we had. We came within a few points of making the final four WITHOUT him; with him...who knows, because the transitive property doesn't apply, but it is hard not to think that he would have made a difference defensively against Sullinger in the second half of that game.
The way that game went, he probably would have been in foul trouble in about 10 seconds, but that could have kept others from picking up theirs so quickly.

A lot of people use the excuse that Fab didn't no english and that that's why he failed. Couldn't the same be said about Baye and you don't see him with any of the same troubles?
He didn't go to class.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I agree the whole thing is frustrating and my sense is that there were things that feel through the cracks in respects to academics being monitored by the athletic department. Someone didn't do their job and the kid didn't do his and the coaches didn't find out about it until the last minute. I know someone who has this job at a smaller school and kids have been pushed through when mistakes are made. The fact Boeheim and his staff didn't try to delay for a week or two and pretend they didn't know about it impresses me.

Would we have been better off with Louisville 2nd choice. I think the answer is very clear.

Fab realized the academics were BS and acted accordingly. Does not sound like that stupid a guy to me. Stubborn maybe, but not stupid.

People should have beef with the NCAA, not Fab. Student-Athletes are a multi-billion dollar scam.

Fab realized the academics were BS and acted accordingly. Does not sound like that stupid a guy to me. Stubborn maybe, but not stupid.

People should have beef with the NCAA, not Fab. Student-Athletes are a multi-billion dollar scam.

Yet somehow everyone else on the team stayed eligible.

It is a scam, but the blame still goes on Fab. He could have avoided this with a modicum of effort. (Unless there is something else to the story, but I tend to doubt it)

Yet somehow everyone else on the team stayed eligible.

It is a scam, but the blame still goes on Fab. He could have avoided this with a modicum of effort. (Unless there is something else to the story, but I tend to doubt it)

They stayed eligible because they went to class (or made it look like they did). Fab did not go to class. Simple.

Blame, shmame. We put our hearts into the team and got screwed over by a multi-billion dollar scam, and the posturing to make it look like it's legit. And you're mad at some 19 year old kid for not playing by the BS rules? Brainwash city.

I don't know what a comparison with Baye Keita is supposed to demonstrate. If I'm not mistaken, Keita is from a somewhat more privileged background, relative to their home countries. His exposure to education was a bit more thorough (doesn't Keita speak additional languages? - although Fab does speak some Spanish).

They stayed eligible because they went to class (or made it look like they did). Fab did not go to class. Simple.

Blame, shmame. We put our hearts into the team and got screwed over by a multi-billion dollar scam, and the posturing to make it look like it's legit. And you're mad at some 19 year old kid for not playing by the BS rules? Brainwash city.

Not every kid is a 1 or 2 and done. Many kids stay and get a degree which most put to good use. Not everyone can make the NBA. If a player only wants to play basketball and doesn't give a hoot about academics, then don't go to college. Go play a year or two overseas or the D league. It's as simple as that. And if a kid isn't good enough to play overseas or in the D league right out of high school, he's probably not going to be good enough for the NBA after a year of college. Nobody made Melo go to college. It was his choice and when he made that choice, he signed on the dotted line to play by the rules, including academically. Also, if a player or a school skirts those rules, it doesn't condemn the whole concept.

I don't know what a comparison with Baye Keita is supposed to demonstrate. If I'm not mistaken, Keita is from a somewhat more privileged background, relative to their home countries. His exposure to education was a bit more thorough (doesn't Keita speak additional languages? - although Fab does speak some Spanish).

Fab speaks Spanish and Portuguese, and his family is reportedly also pretty well off.

Fab speaks Spanish and Portuguese, and his family is reportedly also pretty well off.

I don't think it matters at all how well off the kid is. Going to college and getting passing grades is about reading the books and taking the tests. Do you know how easy it is for an athlete to stay eligible in college. You have tutors for gods sake. He has people managing the time for him it's not like he's a normal college kid that has to manage his own time. The bottom line is he didn't care enough and wasn't monitored properly by academics.

Not every kid is a 1 or 2 and done. Many kids stay and get a degree which most put to good use. Not everyone can make the NBA. If a player only wants to play basketball and doesn't give a hoot about academics, then don't go to college. Go play a year or two overseas or the D league. It's as simple as that. And if a kid isn't good enough to play overseas or in the D league right out of high school, he's probably not going to be good enough for the NBA after a year of college. Nobody made Melo go to college. It was his choice and when he made that choice, he signed on the dotted line to play by the rules, including academically. Also, if a player or a school skirts those rules, it doesn't condemn the whole concept.

You're living in fantasy land and in your heart you know you're not being honest. There is NO OTHER CHOICE to make the NBA besides college if you live in the states. Going to Europe is not a reasonable thing for an 18 year old to do. They are blackmailed into attending universities (with the 1 year rule) in order to get the best players to win, sell merchandise, TV ratings, ticket sales, etc..

You can play the high road (it was his choice, rules are rules), but I'm not even going to entertain that BS. Sometimes a rat is a rat. This whole system is a scam.

You're living in fantasy land and in your heart you know you're not being honest. There is NO OTHER CHOICE to make the NBA besides college if you live in the states. Going to Europe is not a reasonable thing for an 18 year old to do. They are blackmailed into attending universities (with the 1 year rule) in order to get the best players to win, sell merchandise, TV ratings, ticket sales, etc..

You can play the high road (it was his choice, rules are rules), but I'm not even going to entertain that BS. Sometimes a rat is a rat. This whole system is a scam.

bs. kids have gone straight to the nba. so you dont have to go to college to make it. some kid went to europe and came back. who blackmails who? not the colleges. nobody makes a kid go to college. nobody. scream all you want. but if you're going to use college as a vehicle to a possible nba career, then go to classes. funny most kids get that.

And almost all need a reality check, and the one year stop in college probably helps way more than it hurts and kids end up expanding their horizons beyond hoop dreams.