false start? | Syracusefan.com

false start?

stuckinbig11

All American
A couple days ago, I heard an announcer say, "It looks like maybe a procedure penalty." That got me wondering when and why "illegal procedure" became "false start." Was it because there are multiple illegal procedures and they needed specific names or because refs found "illegal procedure" to be too tongue-tying? What does "false start" mean, anyway -- "untrue beginning?" Why not "pre-mature motion?" I guess that would tie tongues also. :)

A couple days ago, I heard an announcer say, "It looks like maybe a procedure penalty." That got me wondering when and why "illegal procedure" became "false start." Was it because there are multiple illegal procedures and they needed specific names or because refs found "illegal procedure" to be too tongue-tying? What does "false start" mean, anyway -- "untrue beginning?" Why not "pre-mature motion?" I guess that would tie tongues also. :)
As James Arthur Boeheim famously quipped…..pre-mature anything is not good.

because its also illegal procedure formation or 2 men in motion or several other calls.

I goes back to the old saying....Every false start is an illegal procedure but not every illegal procedure is a false start.