Family and Fort Drum soldier | Syracusefan.com

Family and Fort Drum soldier

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
I don't know if I missed it mentioned in a post, but they had an "honor a soldier's family" event just before tipoff. They had a Fort Drum family on the field and the soldier was on the big screen to say hello to his family and sending SU his best wishes from Iraq. Then he said he wished he was there when it showed him stepping away from the big screen overhead and then he actually stepped onto the field with his 2 children running towards him and a standing ovation from the crowd. I just wanted to say it was a very nice gesture by SU and helped get the crowd in a celebratory mood too. Special night all the way around.

I don't know if I missed it mentioned in a post, but they had an "honor a soldier's family" event just before tipoff. They had a Fort Drum family on the field and the soldier was on the big screen to say hello to his family and sending SU his best wishes from Iraq. Then he said he wished he was there when it showed him stepping away from the big screen overhead and then he actually stepped onto the field with his 2 children running towards him and a standing ovation from the crowd. I just wanted to say it was a very nice gesture by SU and helped get the crowd in a celebratory mood too. Special night all the way around.

Reminded me of that Coming Home show. It was great.

Wow..that is awesome.

I still think SU Marketing needs to talk to Billy Fuccillo or F.X. Caprara about sponsoring 100 seats in 3rd Tier endzone, bus transportation from FT Drum/Salmon River Mall and parking in stadium West for pregame tailgating for the soldiers and families. Let the Army get the units scheduled...it would be a nice tribute and beneficial to grow some fans.

A lot of the soldiers are from the NE but a bunch are from the South too and are college football fans.

That's great, I love hearing about soldiers being able to surprise their kids like that.. Really special to watch.. I was at drum for a couple years, It felt like I was the only one screaming SU.. Lil work by the university, and the base, that could be changed

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=64.844730,-147.863652

Can't find video of it anywhere.Was really very cool to see.You would think the local news would have had it somewhere.I guess the big win made people forget about it.

It was nice, although I prefer not to be teary eyed just before kickoff of a football game.

I completely missed that in my post. It was a very heart warming moment. We criticize the SU marketing folks a lot when things go wrong but I have to say, they have hit two home runs in recent weeks.

The Midnight Madness event was a triumph, as was this special surprise. Well done marketing folks, or PR folks, or admin folks, or whoever it was that was responsible...

It was nice, although I prefer not to be teary eyed just before kickoff of a football game.

I rather like the idea of being teary eyed before the game than after it. ;)

Hi guys, I'm Justin Mertz, the director of the SU Marching Band. I registered so that I could tell you that the reunion you saw was being recorded for the show "Coming Home". We were approached by the producers of the show a couple of weeks ago and we worked with them to incorporate the reunion into the pregame show. It was really something! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. We don't know when it's going to air, but it will be on TV sometime soon.

Thanks also for everything you all do to support the team. I'm an alum myself and root for the team just as hard as you do. Go Orange!

Hi guys, I'm Justin Mertz, the director of the SU Marching Band. I registered so that I could tell you that the reunion you saw was being recorded for the show "Coming Home". We were approached by the producers of the show a couple of weeks ago and we worked with them to incorporate the reunion into the pregame show. It was really something! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. We don't know when it's going to air, but it will be on TV sometime soon.

Thanks also for everything you all do to support the team. I'm an alum myself and root for the team just as hard as you do. Go Orange!

That's awesome. More good press for SU and the program.

Six years active duty, 5 &1/2 years stationed at Bragg. Actual time in garrison only about shy of 3 years. Deployments to both theaters of war, and I remained single most of that time. I found the military life one that is very stressful on relationships with the imminent deployments, frequent relocations, and just the dangerous nature of the profession. Told myself constantly that I would not start a family while in. I've since gotten out and have attained a family of six now.

There was plenty of times where I got to see heart felt reunions of families from somewhat afar. (The closest thing I personally had was seeing my brother who was also stationed at Bragg at the time, but a reunion of two "warriors" isn't the same.) To now know the intimate love of a father and child and husband and wife, I don't know how I could have done it while still active duty. I hate being away from my children and wife more that a couple of days now.

That said, I've served with some great men who no longer have that opportunity to come home to their families. I cry like a baby (or at least perceive myself crying like one) when I see these scenes repeated in various places and think about them. (I type this with tears in my eyes now.)

I'm so glad that SU made this happen.

Ha, that's great. When I saw it the first thing I mentioned to the people sitting with me was that it reminded me of that show. I mentioned that in a post too. Glad they are doing that. If you find out, let us know when it will be on.

Six years active duty, 5 &1/2 years stationed at Bragg. Actual time in garrison only about shy of 3 years. Deployments to both theaters of war, and I remained single most of that time. I found the military life one that is very stressful on relationships with the imminent deployments, frequent relocations, and just the dangerous nature of the profession. Told myself constantly that I would not start a family while in. I've since gotten out and have attained a family of six now.

There was plenty of times where I got to see heart felt reunions of families from somewhat afar. (The closest thing I personally had was seeing my brother who was also stationed at Bragg at the time, but a reunion of two "warriors" isn't the same.) To now know the intimate love of a father and child and husband and wife, I don't know how I could have done it while still active duty. I hate being away from my children and wife more that a couple of days now.

That said, I've served with some great men who no longer have that opportunity to come home to their families. I cry like a baby (or at least perceive myself crying like one) when I see these scenes repeated in various places and think about them. (I type this with tears in my eyes now.)

I'm so glad that SU made this happen.

Wow. Humbling and makes so many of life's little torments seem as trivial as they are.

Thank you for your service and your sacrifices. I hope life continues to bring you joy and happiness.