Fanstasy Conference Alignment | Syracusefan.com

Fanstasy Conference Alignment

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Thought this would be an interesting idea for discussion. If you could arrange your ideal basketball conference for SU to participate in and pick the other members of the conference who would you choose? Make your choices without regard to football or other sports. For purposes of this exercise they don't exist.

Would you choose an 8-10 team conference where the teams played home and away games against all members, or a larger configuration with unbalanced schedules?

My ideal would be a 10 team conference with home and away matchups against each other member. I would enjoy seeing the following members:

Syracuse
Villanova
Duke
UNC
Maryland
Penn State
UConn
UVa
Pitt
Georgetown

Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Duke
Vtech
UNC
Villanova
Louisville
Cincy
Boston College
Georgetown

The private universities for all sports (any 12 of the below, or any I've forgotten) ...

SU
ND
BC
Duke
USC
Stanford
Vandy
Northwestern
Wake Forest
Miami
SMU
TCU
Rice
Tulane
Baylor

Thought this would be an interesting idea for discussion. If you could arrange your ideal basketball conference for SU to participate in and pick the other members of the conference who would you choose? Make your choices without regard to football or other sports. For purposes of this exercise they don't exist.

Would you choose an 8-10 team conference where the teams played home and away games against all members, or a larger configuration with unbalanced schedules?

My ideal would be a 10 team conference with home and away matchups against each other member. I would enjoy seeing the following members:

Syracuse
Villanova
Duke
UNC
Maryland
Penn State
UConn
UVa
Pitt
Georgetown

Penn State??

The private universities for all sports (any 12 of the below, or any I've forgotten) ...

SU
ND
BC
Duke
USC
Stanford
Vandy
Northwestern
Wake Forest
Miami
SMU
TCU
Rice
Tulane
Baylor

I googled and you only missed two
- BYU
- Tulsa

SU
ND
BC
Duke
USC
Stanford
Vandy
Northwestern
Wake Forest
Miami
SMU
TCU
Rice
Tulane
Baylor

The thought of being able to play Rice and Tulane in basketball gives me goosebumps.

:)

Yeah, my thought, too. If we're talking basketball only, and football doesn't exist, why Penn St? Proximity? If you want proximity, let UMass in (essentially the same distance from Syracuse). That would make at least one poster here happy. ;)

I guess that was my own personal geographical prejudice, as I live in Pennsylvania and it would be another reasonable location to travel to, to see Cuse play.

Syracuse
Villanova
Duke
UNC
Maryland
Penn State
UConn
UVa
Pitt
Georgetown
interesting idea! I like the ones you picked except I'd rather play St. Johns than Penn State. As I'm from Boston, I'd rather play BC than Maryland. Georgetown gives us our DC Market anyway.. And I'd rather play everybody twice (as you could do with this) than have the unbalanced schedule.

Replaced uconn with cincy as they’re far more competitive

Every league should have ten teams. 9 game football schedule and a 18 game bball schedule. All leagues will have a true champion.

Every league should have ten teams. 9 game football schedule and a 18 game bball schedule. All leagues will have a true champion.
I agree with you except that means football has an unbalanced home/away. Not the end of the world, but creates lack of balance.

When the ACC was at nine teams, I thought that was the ideal. I wasn't crazy about the addition of FSU because I didn't think they were a good fit academically. (Nine teams balances home and away games very nicely.) Regardless, if you're thinking about realignment, take into consideration that college football, as we know it, has a very suspect future. Post traumatic ensephalopathy is going to change, if not end, it. Fewer and fewer parents are allowing their kids to participate. At some point soon, high schools will have trouble recruiting players When that becomes widespread, the end will be near. Since football was the driving force behind expansion, I imagine after it is gone there will be contraction, resulting in new conferences more regional in nature. Among other considerations, will be the economics of proximity.

The thing I want most in a confrence are teams located in the areas we recruit most. For us that means teams in and around NYC, Philly, and DC. Secondarily (assuming money is no option) Id like a confrence of only 8 teams so we can play everyone home & home, and have an end of year tournament with no byes.

Also this will be a basketball only confrence, so no weight will be given to schools reputation in other sports, or academically.

That said ...

1) Syracuse
2) Georgetown
3) Villanova
4) St. John's
5) Maryland
6) Boston College
7) Rutgers
8) Seton Hall

Put the confrence tournament in MSG and you've got a nice confrence with short travel times for the team and fans, and plenty of non-confrence games to mess around and schedule something big in an exotic location.

Pitt??? PITT??? You just went on the list pfister.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom