FAU fires Mike Jarvis | Syracusefan.com

FAU fires Mike Jarvis

Isn't that where Isiah Thomas coached? Or was that International.

They sure like those New York retreads in Florida.

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles/159/fau-fires-coach-mike-jarvis.aspx
Looks like a former SU coach might be the reason.

"Investigation into potential NCAA rules violation that included former Syracuse assistant Bernie Fine may have led to FAU decision to fire coach Mike Jarvis."

"FAU did not immediately respond to media requests asking for an explanation of the decision, but in recent weeks FAU had been investigating the presence of former Syracuse coach Bernie Fine at Owls' practices as being a potential NCAA violation."

Why would that be a violation?

I have heard that Jarvis rep is that he is lazy -- smart guy, but puts little effort into the craft.

"FAU did not immediately respond to media requests asking for an explanation of the decision, but in recent weeks FAU had been investigating the presence of former Syracuse coach Bernie Fine at Owls' practices as being a potential NCAA violation."

I don't know but of course a story will be coming out on ESPN shortly.

I know football has a limit on the number of coaches and graduate assistants, does bball have one, too? Maybe having Fine attend practices put them over their limit?

That makes no sense. There is no show cause applied to Bernie. And if he's not being paid, it doesn't violate the limit on paid coaches. :noidea:

I know football has a limit on the number of coaches and graduate assistants, does bball have one, too? Maybe having Fine attend practices put them over their limit?

Maybe. But Bernie was also asked by Miami to come in to give them pointers on the zone, and it doesn't appear to have landed them in any hot water.

You can have coaches visit your practice. A couple years ago when he was between jobs, Larry Brown hung out at Villanova's practices and even followed them on the road for a bit.

I have heard that Jarvis rep is that he is lazy -- smart guy, but puts little effort into the craft.

Good coach, but he didn't make much of an effort to recruit.

So we can expect the ESPN crawler for the game tomorrow to read "yada yada yada...NCAA violations related to former Syracuse assistant Bernie Fine, previously accused of….yada yada"

Maybe we can have Verne Lundquist do the game with Mark Schwarz as the sideline reporter too?

Good coach, but he didn't make much of an effort to recruit.

Kinda sorta.

A little like the Rob Moore situation, Jarvis didn't like playing the ring-kissing game with sleazy AAU people and egomaniac New York high school coaches. So he started to miss out on top-level players and stopped winning.

If it weren't for that, I'd say he's a perfect fit for any Boston College opening (he's an old eastern New England guy with good connections out there). Because recruiting a wide area is so important for success in the ACC, though, that probably wouldn't work out. Too bad. Good guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom