Favorite Starting Lineup | Syracusefan.com

Favorite Starting Lineup

Orange2389

2nd String
Hello everyone.. as we begin another season, I wanted to have some fun. This has been done before but still fun regardless. Please share your favorite lineup and Lets enjoy!

Carter-Williams/Flynn
McNamara/Rautins
Anthony/Fair
Wes/Warrick
AO/Kieta

Last edited:
I'll give this a shot. But I'm only going to include players I actually remember watching

PG: GMac/Flynn
SG: Rautins/Waiters
SF: Melo/Wes
PF: Warrick/Blackwell
C: AO/Rick

3rd/Sentimental Team:
PG: MCW
SG: Shumpert
SF: Nichols
PF: Kristof
C: McNeil or Keita (Too close to call. Loved both for different reasons)

Sherman Douglas
Dave Bing (changed it from Raf)
Melo
Derrick Coleman
Roosevelt Bouie

Honorable mentions: Pearl Washington, Raf Addison, Billy Owens, John Wallace, Lawrence Moten, Rony Seikaly, Hakim, Kid Kohls, Louie Orr, Dennis Duval plus the length of MCW etc - throwing in GMac for close games would be fun to mix and match also. :)

Last edited:
I'm only using players I've seen live, so sorry pre-1980's greats

1st team: Sherman Douglas, Gerry McNamara, Lawrence Moten, Carmelo Anthony, Otis Hill
2nd team: Pearl Washington, Stevie Thompson, Josh Pace, Preston Shumpert, Rony Seikaly

Least favorite: MeShaun Williams, Paul Harris, LeRon Ellis, Rock Lloyd, Louie McCroskey

I really would have liked to see this squad mostly defensively in the zone and its all guys from 2000's and beyond.
MCW
Andy
Melo (more for offense but also excellent on the defensive glass.
Hak
Melo

All Time since I've been a fan:
Douglas
Andy (Senior Andy was great and would have mixed flawlessly with an all star line up IMO)
Melo
Billy
DC

You're a bit quicker than me! Overall that would be such a deadly team and of course I put Melo in instead of Wallace.

I was torn on Carmelo, but I actually like Billy Owens versatility a little more for that team.

I was also torn between Raf / Nichols as shooters to compliment the others, but went with The Chill. Given how his career ended on a pair of such sour notes, I think Owens often gets overlooked in the discussion of top program players. Pound for pound, he was one of the best.

I was torn on Carmelo, but I actually like Billy Owens versatility a little more for that team.

I was also torn between Raf / Nichols as shooters to compliment the others, but went with The Chill. Given how his career ended on a pair of such sour notes, I think Owens often gets overlooked in the discussion of top program players. Pound for pound, he was one of the best.

For me I'm starting my front line with Billy and DC every time. I was on the same track as you though, take the best PG use DC as the center and then 2 more of our greatest forwards. Then at the 2G I just felt like Andy was the best fit with his all around game as well as the deadly shooting.

I've always thought Lawrence Moten kind of suffers from a similar fate as Billy as far as his career ending on a sour note and getting overlooked. He is a our all time scoring leader! Plus I always thought he was just as instrumental as John Wallace with getting us through the probation period - granted without the final four that John got us to.

Sherman (greatest point ever)
Rautins (over Gmac because of D)
Coleman (greatest rebounder)
Anthony (greatest all around forw)
Seikaly (underrated scoring center)

I did not include players I've never seen, Bing got instance).

Toughest to leave out: owens, Hak, Wallace, poetry, Pearl.

Going to switch it up a bit. Not all are my favorites, but I present to you the all nickname team:
PG The General
SG Poetry in Moten
SF Melo
PF Slick Rick the Ruler
C DC
Bench: The Pearl, Hak, Scoop, Red. Yes, we are guard heavy, but they're point guards. They should have nicknames!

Tough question. I came up with 4 immediately, and had to really think on the fifth guy. My starting five:

Sherman Douglas
Allen Griffin (the one I had to think over)
Andy Rautins
Billy Owens
Etan Thomas

Next five:

Scoop Jardine
Billy Edelin
Mike Hopkins
John Wallace
Arinze Onuaku

Tough question. I came up with 4 immediately, and had to really think on the fifth guy. My starting five:

Sherman Douglas
Andy Rautins
Billy Owens
Etan Thomas

Next five:

Scoop Jardine
Billy Edelin
Mike Hopkins
John Wallace
Arinze Onuaku

I'm a huge Allen Griffin fan, too. Very underrated player--and he's gone on to have a solid coaching career, which doesn't surprise me at all. Kid was always high character.

Sherman Douglas
Andy Rautins
Billy Owens
Etan Thomas

Next five:

Scoop Jardine
Billy Edelin
Mike Hopkins
John Wallace
Arinze Onuaku

Wait a minute! I thought Scoop stunk . . . . . . at least that was a popular opinion around here when he played.