Feeble effort to change the o... | Syracusefan.com

Feeble effort to change the o...

newmexicuse

All Conference
Many posts about predictability of our o.

However, early in the game, we did flash marek to the high post and let him shoot.

Problem was that he missed both and then we reverted to our predictability.

It is a freakin ft equivelant. Marek or matt should be able to make that shot. Gotta stay with it and not quit after two misses.

Many posts about predictability of our o.

However, early in the game, we did flash marek to the high post and let him shoot.

Problem was that he missed both and then we reverted to our predictability.

It is a freakin ft equivelant. Marek or matt should be able to make that shot. Gotta stay with it and not quit after two misses.

So, let me get this straight: Your solution to fix our offense is to keep trying what is not working?

So, let me get this straight: Your solution to fix our offense is to keep trying what is not working?
So your solution is to give up a strategy after two misses and then do what - more of same old same old that did not even get us 50 points in a game ?

Did it with OB a bunch of times but he wouldn't take the shot.
Or shot and missed badly. Or drove farther in and threw up some weird twisting brick-airball-layup

For Brisett it has to be a mental thing, a case of a lack of confidence. This a guy who excels at the free throw line and is more than capable of making the shot. Free throw efficiency is the result of relentless practice, focus and form. I would imagine with more practice he could be effective there. It's funny though - remember Huerter who could torch teams from 20, 30 feet - against us he wouldn't take that foul line shot either and they had to move him from the high post. It's all a matter of comfort and confidence which takes time. Marek and Brisett are freshman and hopefully have plenty of time to expand their game.

So your solution is to give up a strategy after two misses and then do what - more of same old same old that did not even get us 50 points in a game ?

I didn't offer a strategy, I simply asked if you would continue to employ one that did not work. A yes or no would suffice.

To continually do the same thing and expect a different outcome rarely works out, at least in my experience.

That’s on coaching to put a player in there who can take and make that shot.

That mid range shot is a bugaboo for most players and teams. If kids aren't taking that shot in high school, AAU no way they are going to be efficient in college. Kids are rewarded for taking 3 pointers, dunks and drives to he basket. There aren't many Lawrence Motens out there.

I didn't offer a strategy, I simply asked if you would continue to employ one that did not work. A yes or no would suffice.

To continually do the same thing and expect a different outcome rarely works out, at least in my experience.
To me, the key thing is to get a fourth guy going on o. Surely you must agree that two shots is an insufficient sample size to say whether something is working or not.

Marek should be the first choice at high post because he has vision to also pass. Matt should be second choice because he could represent a fourth threat. Oshae is third choice because he garners attention and will not be left as free there as the other two.

Or shot and missed badly. Or drove farther in and threw up some weird twisting brick-airball-layup

For Brisett it has to be a mental thing, a case of a lack of confidence. This a guy who excels at the free throw line and is more than capable of making the shot. Free throw efficiency is the result of relentless practice, focus and form. I would imagine with more practice he could be effective there. It's funny though - remember Huerter who could torch teams from 20, 30 feet - against us he wouldn't take that foul line shot either and they had to move him from the high post. It's all a matter of comfort and confidence which takes time. Marek and Brisett are freshman and hopefully have plenty of time to expand their game.

Brissett is incredibly frustrating. If he could make 50% more of his attempts from within 10 feet, he would averaging 20+ and 10+ every game. I think it is a confidence/mental issue. If he took the FT equivalent shot 2-3 times a game, it would almost impossible to guard him from the high post.

I would like to see JB flash, say, Battle to the foul line occasionally when teams go 2-3 against us - however you pretty much have to keep two legit shooters ready to catch and shoot around the perimeter, Battle being our most legit shooter... limited pieces to work with

Brissett is incredibly frustrating. If he could make 50% more of his attempts from within 10 feet, he would averaging 20+ and 10+ every game. I think it is a confidence/mental issue. If he took the FT equivalent shot 2-3 times a game, it would almost impossible to guard him from the high post.

He's just a freshman. Our expectations have risen because of how well he unexpectedly had been performing. He's still developing and learning.

I would like to see JB flash, say, Battle to the foul line occasionally when teams go 2-3 against us - however you pretty much have to keep two legit shooters ready to catch and shoot around the perimeter, Battle being our most legit shooter... limited pieces to work with
Sounds good in theory, but i doubt opponents would let ty be nearly as open from there as they would if ty is on the trey line, as u say, and matt or marek is at the high post. If ty comes back next year when we have more threats that would be great.

To me, the key thing is to get a fourth guy going on o. Surely you must agree that two shots is an insufficient sample size to say whether something is working or not.

Marek should be the first choice at high post because he has vision to also pass. Matt should be second choice because he could represent a fourth threat. Oshae is third choice because he garners attention and will not be left as free there as the other two.

You still have not answered my original question.

He's just a freshman. Our expectations have risen because of how well he unexpectedly had been performing. He's still developing and learning.

Still not seeing how "well" he's been playing. He's one of the big reasons we're so bad on offense.

I'll look at some numbers when I get home but I'm willing to bet this is one of the worst offensive productive seasons by a player who shoots at such volume in history.

Why do we set screens for the ball handler, period? Has there been one time all year that a screen has helped Tyus or Frank do something positive that they would've have been able to do without the screen? Seriously.

We all know the screener, no matter who it is, isn't a threat to do anything off the screen. So why do we set on ball screens? Just so it looks like we're doing something? Creates the illusion of an offensive gameplan?

Why do we set screens for the ball handler, period? Has there been one time all year that a screen has helped Tyus or Frank do something positive that they would've have been able to do without the screen? Seriously.

We all know the screener, no matter who it is, isn't a threat to do anything off the screen. So why do we set on ball screens? Just so it looks like we're doing something? Creates the illusion of an offensive gameplan?

I nominate this for SWC’s call-in question this week- even if we know JB will just make up stuff on the fly... it’s worth a shot.

Come on MBA, you know the rule is sell your winners quick and let your losers run! :rolleyes:

It pulls the screener’s defender away from the paint. This might not be helping the ball handler but it does help the other 3 offensive players if they are running something along the baseline/in the paint etc

It pulls the screener’s defender away from the paint. This might not be helping the ball handler but it does help the other 3 offensive players if they are running something along the baseline/in the paint etc

That's a big 'if'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom