Feel Terrible for CJ | Syracusefan.com

Feel Terrible for CJ

kingtidge

All American
Showed up HUGE for senior night...

...and besides Ennis, rest of the team sleepwalked until the final 3 minutes when they realized they might lose again...

Big surprise...

Wet fart and skid marks is how this season is shaking out...

Me too. CJ played a great game. Tyler played well too. Cooney played like crap and no one else did anything.

In Fairness Ennis had a ok game.

No spurts and when they do its for short periods of time, one of the last 50 offensive teams in division one, a offensive team the first half of the season, one of the worst in tempo contol, rebounding hurting big time after losing grant, nobody to go up strong in the low post on rebounds, no bench scoring, no triangle offense, not alot of transition or steals, Cooney has gone cold, a team that was hoping gbinije and rak would step up to aid grant cooney fair and ennis, gets them not stepping up to aid fair, cooney and ennis without grant, our other 3 freshmen are not ready to play, we don't ever take the ball away on traps like past cuse teams(especially in the paint), GT shot 47%,zone is a team defense not individual.

Our freethrows were real poor today, but is there really anything else that needs to be said?

simply put not good team chemistry.

Last edited:
tough to be a one or two man band. Unfortunately without Grant thats all we are. Grant on the floor gives Cooney more room to work, it gives the opposing team one more body to be really worried about blocking out, leading to more offensive rebounds for CJ and Rak which means some close in looks around the bucket.

Roberson battled well on the glass, but he showed a lot of defensive weaknesses (still better than Cooney though) and pretty much pure fear on the offensive side of the ball right now. But the energy is there, and he is definitely going to be a baller next year.

In Fairness Ennis had a ok game.

No spurts, one of the last 50 offensive teams in division one, a offensive team the first half of the season, one of the worst in tempo contol, rebounding hurting big time after losing grant, nobody to go up strong in the low post on rebounds, no bench scoring, no triangle offense, not alot of transition or steals, Cooney has gone cold, a team that was hoping gbinije and rak would step up to add grant cooney fair and ennis, gets them not stepping up to aid fair, cooney and ennis without grant.

simply put not good team chemistry.

I call it "sleepwalking"... not sure how or why... you saw them play with urgency in the final 3 minutes and cut into the deficit...

Team looked "checked-out" otherwise besides CJ and Ennis at points... disturbing and weird...

At PG - Tyler Ennis, Kaleb Joseph
At SG - Trevor Cooney, Mike Gbinije
At PF - Jerami Grant, Chris Mccullough
At SF- Tyler Roberson
At C - Rak Christmas, Dajuan Coleman, Chino

6th men
BJ Johnson, Ron Patterson

Let's Stack this Cupboard.
I want the 2008-09 UNC, last years Ville treatment for the entire months of jan, feb, march, and April next year. I don't care if we have 5 losses by January.

Last edited:
I call it "sleepwalking"... not sure how or why... you saw them play with urgency in the final 3 minutes and cut into the deficit...

Team looked "checked-out" otherwise besides CJ and Ennis at points... disturbing and weird...

This

I don't understand why it took this team so long to play that well, you are down 8 at the half to an awful team, show some pride.

I get tired of it. These guys just don't develop offensively. We absolutely need to stack the bench next year.

Last year it was grant, cooney, rak, Dajuan.
This year its Gbinije, Roberson, Keita, BJ, and Patterson, Rak(95% of the time).

I get tired of it. These guys just don't develop offensively. We absolutely need to stack the bench next year.

Last year it was grant, cooney, rak, Dajuan.
This year its Gbinije, Roberson, Keita, BJ, and Patterson, Rak(95% of the time).

HOF coach does what he does... can't change the spots on the giraffe.

That said... is something intangibly weird about this free fall to me... someone else mentioned the Edelin/girlfriend issue... not insinuating the same here by any means, but to watch this team freefall from # 1 and 25-0 to very poor team in such a short clip is surreal.

And for anyone who says we aren't that bad... BC and G-Tech on the home court...

At PG - Tyler Ennis, Kaleb Joseph
At SG - Trevor Cooney, Mike Gbinije
At PF - Jerami Grant, Chris Mccullough
At SF- Tyler Roberson
At C - Rak Christmas, Dajuan Coleman, Chino

6th men
BJ Johnson, Ron Patterson
Grant's a great player, and has experience, but he doesn't start over McCullough.

Starters
Ennis
Cooney
Roberson
McCullough
Christmas
Sixth Man
Grant
Bench
Gbinije
Coleman
Joseph
Patterson
Early Season Playing Time
Johnson
Obokoh

The stars are aligning for next season...

To go along with the thread topic, tonight reminded me of McNamara's senior day, except Villanova was #4, and had multiple NBA players.

29 pts / 2 rbs / 8 ast / 1 stl - McNamara
28 pts / 8 rbs / 0 ast / 0 stl - Fair

Grant's a great player, and has experience, but he doesn't start over McCullough.

Starters
Ennis
Cooney
Roberson
McCullough
Christmas
Sixth Man
Grant
Bench
Gbinije
Coleman
Joseph
Patterson
Early Season Playing Time
Johnson
Obokoh

The stars are aligning for next season...

Huh? If Grant is back there is ZERO chance that McCullough starts over him.

Jeez. We're already doing this crap? We already had half the board claiming Roberson would start as a true freshman over Grant last year. Let's get real. If Grant is back, he starts and is a ACC player of the year candidate next year.

To go along with the thread topic, tonight reminded me of McNamara's senior day, except Villanova was #4, and had multiple NBA players.

29 pts / 2 rbs / 8 ast / 1 stl - McNamara
28 pts / 8 rbs / 0 ast / 0 stl - Fair

I thought we played better as a team that day, but those are similar "get on my back and let's win this game" performances.

That was the last time we'd lost on Senior Day - I think we've only done it 3 times this century. Yuck.

This

I don't understand why it took this team so long to play that well, you are down 8 at the half to an awful team, show some pride.
I'm fully convinced this team really hasn't cared about these last few games... hopefully they can turn it back on

OrangeCrush22 said:
Grant's a great player, and has experience, but he doesn't start over McCullough. Starters Ennis Cooney Roberson McCullough Christmas Sixth Man Grant Bench Gbinije Coleman Joseph Patterson Early Season Playing Time Johnson Obokoh The stars are aligning for next season...

Grant doesn't sit behind McCullough and Roberson.

Pat Kelly said:
I'm fully convinced this team really hasn't cared about these last few games... hopefully they can turn it back on

If you don't care about losing to Ga Tech on senior night at home then they're losers.

Thankfully I totally disagree with you. Can't see these guys "not caring", doesn't make sense.

Fair and Ennis are being forced to create on their own which is not their game. When our offense is rolling and Cooney is hitting shots, That frees up Fair to play his game and allows to Grant and Rak to become offensive rebounders. Ennis then becomes a dual threat of passer/scorer and not just scorer that he is now. Right now Everything is isolation drives or jumpshots because every team we play slumps off and helps defend Fair/Ennis in lane because they know we won't kill them with the 3 ball. Basic basketball.

If you don't care about losing to Ga Tech on senior night at home then they're losers.

Thankfully I totally disagree with you. Can't see these guys "not caring", doesn't make sense.

I don't think it's not caring ... just that mentally they are shot to bits.

You saw JB was at least able to get them focused in the final few minutes when we went to high press D... and we turned the ball over and started scoring... it's the unfocused, lollygagging around the rest of the game that is the problem.

Also, If Roberson has no clue how to play defense in our zone (as JB sated), then that's on JB... It's March for christ's sake... He doesn't need to be flawless but he should at least be competent by now...

Throwing Roberson under the bus because the coach only goes 7-deep as his preference... I generally like Mr. Boeheim (who doesn't) but that comment made my blood boil.

Fair played well but it still doesnt change the fact that its tough to run an offense with someone of his skill set unless you have a Stretch 4, which we dont. Last year we had Southerland.

Fair is reluctant to shoot the 3, only goes left and doesnt pass out of double teams. We have zero spacing and he goes iso 75% of the time he touches it. If he had a more diversified game, which a potential NBA small forward would, it wouldnt be such an issue but as good as Fair is, he is very limited. When you have a limited offense centered around a limited star player, you see why we struggle.

Fair played well but it still doesnt change the fact that its tough to run an offense with someone of his skill set unless you have a Stretch 4, which we dont. Last year we had Southerland.

Fair is reluctant to shoot the 3, only goes left and doesnt pass out of double teams. We have zero spacing and he goes iso 75% of the time he touches it. If he had a more diversified game, which a potential NBA small forward would, it wouldnt be such an issue but as good as Fair is, he is very limited. When you have a limited offense centered around a limited star player, you see why we struggle.

Yeah I totally agree with this. Love CJ, but it looks like he isn't the kind of guy you can build an elite offense around if he's running a 25%+ usage rate.

Wet fart and skid marks is how this season is shaking out...

072_Skid_Marks.png