Few, quick thoughts about SU-FSU | Syracusefan.com

Few, quick thoughts about SU-FSU

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • Kudos to Hughes and Girard for stepping up and almost willing us to victory. Even though Girard didn't have a great overall FG %, he generally took good shots and hit a good percentage of 3's.
  • Guerrier continues to play consistently
  • Obviously Boeheim had a 2nd consecutive bad game. Team seemed a little energized when they brought in Goodine. Boeheim does demand attention with his outside shot, but when he's not scoring, he doesn't give us much else. Not much of an athlete, passer, defender, rebounder. He has had some fantastic games-guess Jimmy was hoping he'd eventually catch fire. I probably would have stuck with what was going well until it wasn't.
  • Some free throw misses hurt us at the end, esp. when Hughes missed the front end of a one-and-one.
  • That foul by Guerrier with 1:30 left hurt, especially w/ them being in the double bonus.
  • Them being in the double bonus made me want us to at least take a quick look at a 3 before settling for a contested 2 in the last minute. There's much less pressure for a team at the end of a game when there's an automatic 2 foul shots, as compared to a one-and-one.
  • A few times recently we've given it to JG III at the end of games to make a play and did it again yesterday with about a minute left. I'd much rather give it to our best player to either score or create for others. As good as JG III played, he's still only 6 feet and limited athletically. Can't overthink it, if we go down, let's go down with our best plsyer.

the last 5 mins...every single FSU offensive posession started with a defender driving on buddy...then it lead to a breakdown and score or foul even if it wasnt buddy´s man who scored. obviously by (smart) design by FSU.

he´s an exceptional shooter but vs certain teams he is a liabilty...the FSUs the big atheltic teams that can shut him down and expose him athletically. I wish he was a 6th man coming in for instant O instead of a 40min guy...his defense is just not there at the top of the zone (vs some teams)...maybe at a forward slot his defense wouldnt be such an issue but imo it was the dagger in the FSU game. (but i´d still have guerrier, hughes and dolly ahead of him there for athletic reasons)...he sould play but not 40 mins...plus, then maybe other teams wouldnt be so locked in on him...

• Some free throw misses hurt us at the end, esp. when Hughes missed the front end of a one-and-one.

We gotta stop with all the missed free throws - it's getting a tad annoying.

It should be one of our big strengths, and for a team with a low margin for error, I thought that would be our saving grace. Instead, it's been a bit of nightmare late in games recently with some of the big missed front-ends.

We gotta stop with all the missed free throws - it's getting a tad annoying.

It should be one of our big strengths, and for a team with a low margin for error, I thought that would be our saving grace. Instead, it's been a bit of nightmare late in games recently with some of the big missed front-ends.
About one minute (game time) before Hughes missed the front end, Trent Forrest missed a pair. He is an 80%+ FT shooter for the season. So, collectively, we need to get over that. It was all a wash.

This was about defense (or lack thereof) the last 4 minutes or so.

the last 5 mins...every single FSU offensive posession started with a defender driving on buddy...then it lead to a breakdown and score or foul even if it wasnt buddy´s man who scored. obviously by (smart) design by FSU.

he´s an exceptional shooter but vs certain teams he is a liabilty...the FSUs the big atheltic teams that can shut him down and expose him athletically. I wish he was a 6th man coming in for instant O instead of a 40min guy...his defense is just not there at the top of the zone (vs some teams)...maybe at a forward slot his defense wouldnt be such an issue but imo it was the dagger in the FSU game. (but i´d still have guerrier, hughes and dolly ahead of him there for athletic reasons)...he sould play but not 40 mins...plus, then maybe other teams wouldnt be so locked in on him...
Just watched the last 5 minutes again. Do you just make stuff up and expect people to believe you.

I understand the argument for giving Goodine/Washington some run and would maybe give them a combined 8-10 min a game so Buddy is not out there the whole time but I do think that no matter how bad Buddy is playing they never leave him open or even move off him at all so it leaves lanes open for Eli and JG3 and when he is out it will cause us issues with driving lanes. I think in JAB's mind even with Goodine or Washington in it will not make a big enough difference on defense to off set the difference on offense.

I understand the argument for giving Goodine/Washington some run and would maybe give them a combined 8-10 min a game so Buddy is not out there the whole time but I do think that no matter how bad Buddy is playing they never leave him open or even move off him at all so it leaves lanes open for Eli and JG3 and when he is out it will cause us issues with driving lanes. I think in JAB's mind even with Goodine or Washington in it will not make a big enough difference on defense to off set the difference on offense.

We're top 50 in 3 point attempt rate, are we a driving team to begin with?

Assuming we start with that premise - outside of these wonderfully hypothetical discussions about spacing, and people going unguarded, do you notice a drop off in our ability to drive with Goodine in the game? Genuinely curious - not being a jerk as the sample size is incredibly limited, so who knows how it plays out over time, but in games it hasn't appeared to be an issue to me.

In our second half run w/ Goodine, how did we score repeatedly? JGIII hits a three. Dole on a drive. Guerrier on a drive. Hughes on a drive to the rim after a made basket where we got into transition quickly.

Guerrier again on a drive and dish from JGIII - who just happened to get the ball on a kick from from a driving Goodine.

And Goodine missed on the ill-fated drive he made all the way to the rim. Seems like a lot of lanes are open.

In the first half we had a deep, deep, deep, deep three from JGIII, and then a Hughes drive which started on the same side as Goodine. Not sure on the other possessions...

I get conceptually why this argument is repeatedly made, I just haven't seen the practical effects...also I know you're advocating for 8-10 minutes, so just wondering.

Just watched the last 5 minutes again. Do you just make stuff up and expect people to believe you.
Posts like the one you responded to are the ones that drive me the craziest for some reason. So blatantly wrong, so easily disproved.. Buddy actually had 2 steals in the final 5 minutes! Walker's 4-point play with 2:36 remaining was a huge play down the stretch - and guess what? That play did not begin with a drive at Buddy... he literally had nothing to do with that play. (It was on the Girard/Hughes side of the court.) And Fla St's last basket (Williams layup with 0:22.5 remaining to go up by 3) cannot be pinned on Buddy in any way, shape or form.

The level of hate one must have for Buddy to pin the loss on his defensive deficiencies down the stretch is amazing to me.

with goodine in the game at the end of the second half...SU came back and went on a big run...FSU stopped scoring...they couldnt drive...and for some reason they started missing shots and free throiws they had been making...

okay it wasnt 100% of the possessions but i was watching very closely...almost every FSU possession involved a dribble drive at Buddy that either lead to a score immediately (rarely) or a pass or 2 that lead to a score. its subtle and easy to not notice but it was clear as day. the defense stopped getting stops. the scoring sequence usually started with a dribble drive at buddy that he kinda stopped but it lead to a pass that got the defense off balance and lead to a score...

i wouldve kept goodine in.

yeah buddy had some good plays...i think he did get a loose ball or two...but the defense all of a sudden started giving up a lot of scores as soon as he came back into the game.

do you think goodine is not a better defender?

the team needed defense at the moment...

i only have the condensed game so it doesnt show whole possessions but...which is my point...but still
5:09 drive right by buddy for layup

2:10 drive right by buddy for short score

give me one example of a fsu player driving right by goodine for a score.

3 point loss ...4 easy points...

yeah i guess it doesnt matter as long as no one is critical.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom