FIFA officials being charged with corruption? | Syracusefan.com

FIFA officials being charged with corruption?

I am shocked.jpg

I am shocked.

I love that the FIFA guys were arrested at a 5-star hotel in Switzerland. If I were trying to track down FIFA's top brass, that would be high on my list of places to look first. Nice touch.

Looks like the USA is doing the heavy lifting on this one. Good job. Something tells me Concacaf may be losing an auto bid to the next WC but this is well worth it.

Hoping for a perp walk.

Last edited:
I really hope Bill Clinton had a hand in this.

He helped run the US's 2022 WC bid and has been a huge proponent of the USSF. It was reported that he went into a fit of rage when we lost. Not necessarily because the tournament went elsewhere, but because he was furious over how corrupt the process was.

But this may be the biggest sports story of all-time starting to unfold. I'm excited to follow it.

I don't follow much soccer but I hear Fifa is corrupt, even more than the NCAA.

This is big news right?

Hearing foreign response to the US led takedown is pretty interesting. Lots of respect for America and then some seriously funny zingers...

"Finally an American led invasion that makes the world a better place".

But seriously, Russia breaks every international law and invades a country and gets the World Cup.

Qatar has slaves building there stadiums, and still gets the World Cup.

I hate FIFA, as a futbol fan I cannot wait until Blatter is gone, total clown show.

If you get a chance, check out Jeremy Schaap's piece on ESPN.
He was preparing his exposé piece I. The run-up to Friday's FIFA election.
Th arrests comveniently fell into place.

UEFA has demanded that the election be postponed.
Time for some term limits and transparency.

Russia will go ballistic (not literally, I hope) if they lose their 2018 WC.

I don't follow much soccer but I hear Fifa is corrupt, even more than the NCAA.

This is big news right?

I think I saw that it was something like a 29 year inquiry (which would beat the piss out of the geologic rate the NCAA took with us)

I could look it up, but I dont really follow soccer

When I saw this all unfold on the news, I couldn't help but think about all the people here who had died building the Empire State Building, and the bridges and the dams all around our great country. Granted, a long time ago.
They were saying a person dies every two days building these stadiums. How many died building our railroads? I think it was a bunch.
At least no one is building pyramids.

Well, Sepp is now gone. The saga continues.

Hopefully it won't be one of his goons replacing him, but as long as these tiny corrupt nations have the same voting power as the football powerhouses, don't expect a major change.

Well, Sepp is now gone. The saga continues.

Hopefully it won't be one of his goons replacing him, but as long as these tiny corrupt nations have the same voting power as the football powerhouses, don't expect a major change.
Some of the "tiny nations" are some of the powerhouses, while some of the largest countries (billion+ citizens) have nearly zero soccer history.

I hope Michael van Praag runs and wins, cleans house and leaves things in a good state for a younger generation to manage and grow.

Some of the "tiny nations" are some of the powerhouses, while some of the largest countries (billion+ citizens) have nearly zero soccer history.

I hope Michael van Praag runs and wins, cleans house and leaves things in a good state for a younger generation to manage and grow.

When I'm talking about "tiny nations" I'm talking about Comoros, the British Virgin Islands, and Montesserat having the same voting powers as Brazil, Germany, and Italy.

I'm not referring to Belgium or the Netherlands, etc, type countries as "smaller" nations because they have relatively small populations. Most of the votes cast for FIFA president come from countries with nearly zero soccer history, nearly zero financial impact on the game, and that don't move the needle at all on the international stage.

Just look at the members of FIFA:

http://www.fifa.com/associations/

They are all equal partners.