Final Polls: Media #7 | Syracusefan.com

Final Polls: Media #7

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
66561d09c48b1.jpg

They didn't go wire-to-wire, but the Notre Dame Fighting Irish entered the 2024 season as the defending champs and No. 1-ranked team in the Preseason Media Poll, and that's where they finished after a dominating performance in Monday's Division I NCAA Championship Game.

Runners-up Maryland climb nine spots after being ranked No. 11 in the final Media Poll of the regular season and advancing to the title game, and Denver slots in ahead of Virginia among the teams that lost in the Semifinals. Johns Hopkins is the highest-ranked team among those that lost in the Quarterfinals, and Penn State is the top-ranked team among those whose seasons ended in the first round. UAlbany is the lone newcomer to the Top 20, ending the season at No. 18 after winning the NCAA play-in game before falling to Notre Dame in the first round.

Check out the full Men’s DI Media Poll here.

1 Notre Dame (16 - 1)380 (19)1
2 Maryland (11 - 6)35711
3 Denver (13 - 4)3337
4 Virginia (12 - 6)3265
5 Johns Hopkins (11 - 5)2903
6 Duke (13 - 6)2842
7 Syracuse (12 - 6)2814

7. Syracuse (9)
Foy’s Vote: 6 (9)

The Orange were ranked No. 9 in the preseason, which suggests that advancing to the NCAA Quarterfinals is success. And certainly it is on the heels of missing the NCAA Tournament in each of coach Gary Gait’s first two seasons. But with the biggest, most avid fanbase in the sport, expectations ride quickly and winning one Tournament game is not the standard in Central New York — so the question of whether Syracuse is “back” will be one of those unanswerable debates until next spring.

In the meantime, ’Cuse is poised to bring back one of the most experienced Top 20 teams next season, led by the likes of Joey Spallina, Owen Hiltz, Finn Thomson, Michael Leo, Luke Rhoa, Sam English, Riley Figueiras, Billy Dwan, Nick Caccamo, Caden Kol and more. Question marks persist in goal and, depending on whether Mason Kohn returns for another season, at the face-off X.

Presuming a year of coaching continuity with defensive coordinator John Odierna entering his second season in the Dome, it’s realistic to expect the Orange to take another step forward.

7. Syracuse (9)

The Orange were ranked No. 9 in the preseason, which suggests that advancing to the NCAA Quarterfinals is success. And certainly it is on the heels of missing the NCAA Tournament in each of coach Gary Gait’s first two seasons. But with the biggest, most avid fanbase in the sport, expectations ride quickly and winning one Tournament game is not the standard in Central New York — so the question of whether Syracuse is “back” will be one of those unanswerable debates until next spring.

In the meantime, ’Cuse is poised to bring back one of the most experienced Top 20 teams next season, led by the likes of Joey Spallina, Owen Hiltz, Finn Thomson, Michael Leo, Luke Rhoa, Sam English, Riley Figueiras, Billy Dwan, Nick Caccamo, Caden Kol and more. Question marks persist in goal and, depending on whether Mason Kohn returns for another season, at the face-off X.

Presuming a year of coaching continuity with defensive coordinator John Odierna entering his second season in the Dome, it’s realistic to expect the Orange to take another step forward.

His comment about face offs being a question depending on if Kohn returns is odd. No love for Mullen who honestly in my opinion was better down the stretch.

His comment about face offs being a question depending on if Kohn returns is odd. No love for Mullen who honestly in my opinion was better down the stretch.
Really hope Kohn returns… he was a true captain this year… when you go to the coaching staff and tell them to put the kid that’s below you up to number one for that game because he’s more on than I am … shows what a team player and true captain this kid really is… would be a great one 2 punch for next year again

7. Syracuse (9)

I hope he's gotten confirmation that all the players he lists are coming back.

Really hope Kohn returns… he was a true captain this year… when you go to the coaching staff and tell them to put the kid that’s below you up to number one for that game because he’s more on than I am … shows what a team player and true captain this kid really is… would be a great one 2 punch for next year again

Certainly having Kohn was great this year and I also hope he comes back I just thought it was weird he didn't mention Mullens who had a pretty solid season too. If Kohn does come back I hope they give Mullins some more work early to keep Kohn fresher down the stretch.

I wouldn't read too much into it. They are trying to summarize an entire season for 20 teams in about two paragraphs. Things are going to be missed. I think it's encouraging they are looking forward for the Orange, it's a sign that the future is bright.

Mullen was very good against Towson (18-23). From the Cornell game struggles on (3-10 vs the Big Red), if you exclude the Towson game, he was 50%. Good totals, especially given the competition (Stathkis, Wambach and Ghobrial). His worst performance against that group was a 6-13 outing against Duke (perhaps a bit misleading since the fogos lost the early ones and the game got out of hand). Hopefully he can improve those numbers, but it's very encouraging he was pretty much even against some of the best in the country.

Kohn was great against Cornell (20-26, though he seemed to tire late in the game). He struggled in the last two games of the year, against Towson and Denver, winning just 8-24 in those two games. Prior to that he was very good, winning 58% against Duke, UVA and UNC.

I'd really like Kohn back. I think it's reasonable to think he had two rough games and that he should bounce back pretty easily. Plus, Kohn brings a scoring component that is rare in face-off guys - he was ninth on the team in scoring with 13 points. I never thought he got enough credit for his scoring ability.

The FOGO position isn't so much a "question mark" if he doesn't come back, but it's a definite strength if he returns. Plus given the dynamics (Mullen be the presumptive number one if Kohn is gone), you aren't finding anyone else in the portal who would be as good.

I hope he's gotten confirmation that all the players he lists are coming back.

I doubt he got confirmation (IL isn't being that thorough), but it's better than him saying he's heard they won't be back, if that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom