Fire Hackett! | Syracusefan.com

Fire Hackett!

Youse guys enjoying the crow?

More like the staff each should get bonus checks of $20-40k each.

....we'll see what happens without #12.....

Wait what number does Zack Allen wear? :)

BTW, speaking of the staff...Cody Catalina seems to be doing a good job. I expect he'll get hired on a paying gig soon.

Ya, this learning on the job shat has got to stop.

Nobody has to fire Hackett - he did it himself when he dumped his ineffective offense. We'll keep the new Hackett! Seriously, we had to suffer his on-the-job training period and thankfully he and Doug are growing into their jobs. Kudos to both.

Kinda funny how that worked out huh?

I was very impressed listening to Nathaniel Hackett yesterday morning on the radio pre-game show. I think it was the first time I'd ever heard him speak for more than 10-15 seconds and I found he was extremely articulate and engaging. If he continues to both talk the talk and walk the walk I think he'll do very well as a HC somewhere in the future. Hope we can keep him for 4-5 more years.

This is a good time for Hackett to leave, he had a senior qb and they did very well...he'd be selling high. Next year will be a bit of a ? because of the new qb and that's a bit of an unknown. Now, if he can break in a new qb and the offense is still firing on all cylinders the sky will be the limit for him.

This board seems to require an awful lot of self reassurance.

Sounds like Hackett fired himself two weeks before the season.

I'm glad, yet a little confused, that it took us until 2 weeks before the 4th season to finally implement the offense we always talked about wanting. But again, glad we finally felt we had the pieces to do it.

I say all this as a Hackett supporter. Always liked that we had him, young smart guy who relates to players well.

Just hate all the told you so posts. They don't come off well.

Ohhh you do, do you.

Ohhh you do, do you.

Not sure if that was a complete thought, but yes I do. Unless it's about someone jumping all in for some twitterazzi insider's expansion rumors. I like to tell those people they are nuts for believing it (most of the time anyway).

Sounds like Hackett fired himself two weeks before the season.

I'm glad, yet a little confused, that it took us until 2 weeks before the 4th season to finally implement the offense we always talked about wanting. But again, glad we finally felt we had the pieces to do it.

I say all this as a Hackett supporter. Always liked that we had him, young smart guy who relates to players well.

And let's be real, only a handful of whackos were calling for Hackett's head. People here love to identify a few folks, make it seems like it was "the board" saying it, and them shout to the world how right they were.

A lot of these same geniuses who are getting tennis elbow from patting themselves on the back now were telling me how the 2002 Orange were going to be better than the 2001 Orange, and how Joe Dailey/Cecil Howard/Perry Patterson/Andrew Robinson were the real deal/program savior, and how Greg Robinson was going to win 9 games in 2007 (just look at those Super Bowl rings!), etc, etc, etc.

And let's be real, only a handful of whackos were calling for Hackett's head. People here love to identify a few folks, make it seems like it was "the board" saying it, and them shout to the world how right they were.

A lot of these same geniuses who are getting tennis elbow from patting themselves on the back now were telling me how the 2002 Orange were going to be better than the 2001 Orange, and how Joe Dailey/Cecil Howard/Perry Patterson/Andrew Robinson were the real deal/program savior, and how Greg Robinson was going to win 9 games in 2007 (just look at those Super Bowl rings!), etc, etc, etc.
I see what you did there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Unless it's about someone jumping all in for some twitterazzi insider's expansion rumors. I like to tell those people they are nuts for believing it (most of the time anyway).

Well, there is nothing wrong in that. That is like doing gods work :D

Let's not get carried away here. Hackett clearly developed a great offense this year. And, kudos to both him and Marrone for changing the entire philosophy weeks before the season started. Most risk-averse coaches would never do this. But, one year does not a Vince Lombardi make. Just look over at the defensive side. Granted, the defense has been able to do just enough to enable wins in these last 6 games but it's hanging on by its finger nails. Everybody was touting Shafer as the next great defensive genius two seasons ago and it's been a struggle ever since.

Let's not get carried away here. Hackett clearly developed a great offense this year. And, kudos to both him and Marrone for changing the entire philosophy weeks before the season started. Most risk-averse coaches would never do this. But, one year does not a Vince Lombardi make. Just look over at the defensive side. Granted, the defense has been able to do just enough to enable wins in these last 6 games but it's hanging on by its finger nails. Everybody was touting Shafer as the next great defensive genius two seasons ago and it's been a struggle ever since.
You're too much.

If anyone were to really look at Shafer, they would see in his last 5 coaching seasons he has had 3 very average to mediocre defenses. At least on offense I see continued improvement. And the worry is that even Marrone has said they put the best athletes on the defensive side for the most part.

If anyone were to really look at Shafer, they would see in his last 5 coaching seasons he has had 3 very average to mediocre defenses. At least on offense I see continued improvement.
I saw improvement on our defense. Most of it happened after week two though. We did a better job of tackling about a third to midway through the season, and then a better job of applying pressure later in the season.

Here's how it works in my simple mind:

If you have a good offense, you should be able to consistently put up 28+ points.

Defenses are at an enormous disadvantage in college football. If you have a good defense, you can reasonably expect them to hold the opponent to 4 TDs, or fewer than 28 points, in most games.

The defense did that 8 times, or was a reliably good defense in 2 out of every 3 games we played. We won 75% of the time that the defense held. We won 25% of the time when it didn't.

That sounds about right to me.

If anyone were to really look at Shafer, they would see in his last 5 coaching seasons he has had 3 very average to mediocre defenses. At least on offense I see continued improvement. And the worry is that even Marrone has said they put the best athletes on the defensive side for the most part.

2010 was mediocre as well. It is hard to evaluate Shafer because we have mediocre DEs and LBs. The DTs and DBs are pretty good. I wish he would be more willing to let his DBs show their stuff. I think our D should be better than it has performed and if we were more aggressive they would be. But even with another DC, we would still have issues at DE and LB. I think the best way to evaluate our D will be at seasons end. If we kept our opponents below their avg PPG, TYPG, RYPG, and PYPG then we have done well. Since BE Os stink and our D is below 50 in each of those categories, I have a feeling that we will end up poorly.

Agreed. If there is a "pink elephant" for the program at this point, it's the D. I'd like to think that Shafer was been forced to concede yards to cover up for the lack of size with LBs and the generally questionable coverage skills of the secondary.

2010 was mediocre as well. It is hard to evaluate Shafer because we have mediocre DEs and LBs. The DTs and DBs are pretty good. I wish he would be more willing to let his DBs show their stuff. I think our D should be better than it has performed and if we were more aggressive they would be. But even with another DC, we would still have issues at DE and LB. I think the best way to evaluate our D will be at seasons end. If we kept our opponents below their avg PPG, TYPG, RYPG, and PYPG then we have done well. Since BE Os stink and our D is below 50 in each of those categories, I have a feeling that we will end up poorly.

Really? Not looking at stats but it felt like 2010 was a good year on defense. Didn't we go on the road and win a lot of defensive battles?

Really? Not looking at stats but it felt like 2010 was a good year on defense. Didn't we go on the road and win a lot of defensive battles?

Our 1A opponents that year

21.3 AVG PPG vs 1A teams except SU
21.35 PPG vs SU

That tells you two things. The Os we faced that year absolutely stunk. And our D allowed those Os to score exactly what they averaged. IMO that is mediocre. We had some great games on D (Akron, USF, WV, Cincy) but we also had stinkers (UW, Pitt) as well as games where we could not get off the field (Colgate, UL, RU, UConn, BC). Then you had games where we did as expected (Maine, K St). IMO the good games were offset by the bad games so what you have left are those mediocre games and thus a mediocre D.

The coaches and players found a way to salvage a season that looked in trouble halfway through the season. They made SU football exciting again and created an expectation of winning. Neither the coaches nor the players did it by themselves, but kudos to the coaches for setting the table for success. They did themselves proud.

you cant over look one thing about our D this year though. we changed things up that werent working to try and win the games.. USF/MISSouri/ NW/Pitt/Uconn/Temple/SB/rutgers were games where we played complete games or adjusted at some point to stem the tide and let us win the games.

UL/USC we took away one thing to try and win , one time it worked one time it didnt though we had a chance against USC , which i think now we would take advantage of.

Minn was not a bad effort the offense just didnt do what it normally did.

Cincy was not a great effort but we had the lead pretty late.

it showed that we couldnt dominate we had to out scheme teams to slow them down..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom