First Desko Presser of the season... | Syracusefan.com

First Desko Presser of the season...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
WAER Sports ‏@WAERSports 1m
Desko: Very excited to play in the ACC. The conference tournament is going to be big for seeding in NCAAs.

Desko: ACC is unchartered territory.

Desko: FOGO is an open position.

Desko can't comment on Staats. Didn't mention his name. :(

Desko: I've seen Galasso get more comfortable.

Desko: Likes offensive depth.

Desko on Evans: He's worked both midfield and attack.

Desko on Evans wearing 22: I talked to him about it about 3 years ago (laughs).

Desko on Mullins: Good to go. :)

Desko: If you told me when Nicky and Mullins went down we would've been in championship, I would've disagreed.

Desko on goalie competition: It's been quietly competitive.

Desko: This is probably the best freshman class we've had in a while.

Syracuse Lacrosse ‏@SUMensLax 19s
Desko: "We have the number one strength of schedule this season. If you look at the schedule there really isn't a breather on there."

Desko on Princeton: It's a team we want to get back, but we needed a breather at some point.

Desko: There was a fair amount of shot clock discussion at coaches convention. Thought rule changes last year worked.

Last edited:
I wouldnt panic yet on Staats, technically the second semester hasnt started so he isnt enrolled yet. That being said I unfortunately wouldnt be surprised if he didnt make it, hes been a question mark since he committed.

Just to note my post was going on the basis that he maybe finishing up work or waiting to get cleared as I realize practice technically started today.

I wouldnt panic yet on Staats, technically the second semester hasnt started so he isnt enrolled yet. That being said I unfortunately wouldnt be surprised if he didnt make it, hes been a question mark since he committed.

I'd panic if I were you. Practice starts today. If he's not cleared to enroll by now ... his grades won't change in one week. :(

Didn't Cody's eligibility linger far into the 2nd semester too? I agree with JC, although its not ideal, probably can't panic till Wednesday or so :)

Didn't Cody's eligibility linger far into the 2nd semester too? I agree with JC, although its not ideal, probably can't panic till Wednesday or so :)

At least Cody was enrolled in school and listed on the team roster.

Staats isn't listed in the Student Directory yet, and Desko can't even acknowledge him.

Classes start next Monday.

I'd panic if I were you. Practice starts today. If he's not cleared to enroll by now ... his grades won't change in one week. :(

See my post after that, he could still be getting cleared by Syracuse or the NCAA or finishing things up at OCC. The date I am really concerned about is when classes start for the spring semester at SU. If he isnt enrolled by then, it would be time to panic. Also I think theres another OCC guy still out there who is supposedly enrolling this semester as well isnt there?

At least Cody was enrolled in school and listed on the team roster.

Staats isn't listed in the Student Directory yet, and Desko can't even acknowledge him.

Classes start next Monday.

We should know something by the end of the week. WoodyUK's son is at OCC and he is providing updates on Staats. Appears as of 1/5 he was still finishing things up at OCC. Like I said, I wouldnt panic just yet.

See my post after that, he could still be getting cleared by Syracuse or the NCAA or finishing things up at OCC. The date I am really concerned about is when classes start for the spring semester at SU. If he isnt enrolled by then, it would be time to panic. Also I think theres another OCC guy still out there who is supposedly enrolling this semester as well isnt there?

Hell must have frozen over ... you're the optimistic one and I'm the pessimistic one.

There were two other OCC kids who were expected ... Ryan Vella and Kevin Harris. Neither are coming. Both have been removed from LaxPower's commit list.

Also, there was supposed to be another JUCO FOGO from Nassau ... Michael Iacono. He's also missing from the roster.

OCC might have a winter session as most community colleges do so maybe he's still taking a class? maybe?

Hell must have frozen over ... you're the optimistic one and I'm the pessimistic one.

There were two other OCC kids who were expected ... Ryan Vella and Kevin Harris. Neither are coming. Both have been removed from LaxPower's commit list.

Also, there was supposed to be another JUCO FOGO from Nassau ... Michael Iacono. He's also missing from the roster.

When it comes to top end kids transferring from OOC I have learned its never as simple as them just transferring in and being available day 1, theres always some sort of issue, see Cody Jameison not getting eligible until literally the second to last game of the year.

Iacono is the other guy I was thinking of, must be a grade casualty as he was originally supposed to enroll in the fall. To bad neither Harris or Vella made it, would have been nice to redshirt both of them or at least one and have two years to go next season. With Daniello also a casualty losing Staats would be a real blow. Really hope if Staats doesnt make it we try and reach back out to Daniello if theres some way to get him cleared if he is still enrolled at Syracuse. All that being said this could be a boom for a guy like Dylan Maltz, kids gonna be a beast here.

When it comes to top end kids transferring from OOC I have learned its never as simple as them just transferring in and being available day 1, theres always some sort of issue, see Cody Jameison not getting eligible until literally the second to last game of the year.

Iacono is the other guy I was thinking of, must be a grade casualty as he was originally supposed to enroll in the fall. To bad neither Harris or Vella made it, would have been nice to redshirt both of them or at least one and have two years to go next season. With Daniello also a casualty losing Staats would be a real blow. Really hope if Staats doesnt make it we try and reach back out to Daniello if theres some way to get him cleared if he is still enrolled at Syracuse. All that being said this could be a boom for a guy like Dylan Maltz, kids gonna be a beast here.

Daniello will not play at Cuse again. From many sources, sounds like the doctors wouldn't clear him, which is an awful shame. Very similar to what has happened with some football players in the past. Hopefully, if not at Cuse, he gets healthy and is able to play again somewhere. He's far to young to have to retire! Get better soon Mike!

Daniello will not play at Cuse again. From many sources, sounds like the doctors wouldn't clear him, which is an awful shame. Very similar to what has happened with some football players in the past. Hopefully, if not at Cuse, he gets healthy and is able to play again somewhere. He's far to young to have to retire! Get better soon Mike!

Tough break for the kid and Syracuse. With Staats up in the air he would have been a nice piece of the puzzle to add. Its first world problems but if Staats is out to thats 4 offensive guys who either left the program, couldnt get cleared, or couldnt make the grade, this could be a big issue especially with Galasso's injury history and the fact that we seem to lose someone to injury early in the preseason the past few years. Again not trying to make it a bigger deal then if Staats and Daniello both are gone it definitely puts a chink in what was looking like one of the best offensive teams since the Powell bros.

Yeah. This ain't the SEC.

Syracuse Lax is as close to an SEC program that Syracuse will ever get, dont kid yourself. There on another level.

As printed on the back of Hitchhikers Guide To The galaxy - Don't Panic!

Staats is finishing winter classes, my son goes back next week and OCC doesn't start back at school until the 21st so maybe as late as then! Randy has worked very hard to get there over the last few months and it's his dream to play at Cuse it won't be through not trying if he doesn't make it!

Desko never talks about players that aren't on campus only the roster on paper at that time and so he should!

As soon as I know you will. I'm sure Wilbur is being very careful about what is said right now! Harris and Vella is not down to either party of why they aren't on the roster right now! Remember we have got Niko Manning from OCC and he is a great player!

image.jpg

As printed on the back of Hitchhikers Guide To The galaxy - Don't Panic!

Staats is finishing winter classes, my son goes back next week and OCC doesn't start back at school until the 21st so maybe as late as then! Randy has worked very hard to get there over the last few months and it's his dream to play at Cuse it won't be through not trying if he doesn't make it!

Desko never talks about players that aren't on campus only the roster on paper at that time and so he should!

As soon as I know you will. I'm sure Wilbur is being very careful about what is said right now! Harris and Vella is not down to either party of why they aren't on the roster right now! Remember we have got Niko Manning from OCC and he is a great player!

Woody thanks for the insight, was hoping you would chime in. If possible can you provide your thoughts on Harris and Vella and why they werent able to make it? Also, any Sophs at OCC you have your eye on that could end up at Syracuse next fall or this time next year?

Vaughn Harris is the face off guy and a very good player that plans to attend Cuse his time Next year, he'll be a great pick up! I also think that Tim Barber maybe an option as his older brother was a sr last year but don't quote me on that as I don't know his situation, also Harris will be an option next year, I won't comment on Vella as it was a personal issue.

In 2015 Cook and Thorpe.

WAER Sports ‏@WAERSports 1m
Desko: Very excited to play in the ACC. The conference tournament is going to be big for seeding in NCAAs.

Desko: ACC is unchartered territory.

Desko: FOGO is an open position.

Desko can't comment on Staats. Didn't mention his name. :(

Desko: I've seen Galasso get more comfortable.

Desko: Likes offensive depth.

Desko on Evans: He's worked both midfield and attack.

Desko on Evans wearing 22: I talked to him about it about 3 years ago (laughs).

Desko on Mullins: Good to go. :)

Desko: If you told me when Nicky and Mullins went down we would've been in championship, I would've disagreed.

Desko on goalie competition: It's been quietly competitive.

Desko: This is probably the best freshman class we've had in a while.

Syracuse Lacrosse ‏@SUMensLax 19s
Desko: "We have the number one strength of schedule this season. If you look at the schedule there really isn't a breather on there."

Desko on Princeton: It's a team we want to get back, but we needed a breather at some point.

Desko: There was a fair amount of shot clock discussion at coaches convention. Thought rule changes last year worked.
If I see Daddio at FOGO, I'm going to shoot myself (I know, I know, just waiting for someone to reply "You promise?").

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom