First ever matchup between Coach K and JB 1990 Big East-ACC challenge | Syracusefan.com

First ever matchup between Coach K and JB 1990 Big East-ACC challenge

Watching Syracuse play m2m and get up and down the court in transition is weird now. If you told any of our players in the last 5 years that you could quickly outlet the rebound and try to score a layup before the defense gets back, they'd look at you funny.

Watching Syracuse play m2m and get up and down the court in transition is weird now. If you told any of our players in the last 5 years that you could quickly outlet the rebound and try to score a layup before the defense gets back, they'd look at you funny.

Exactly- good point about the defense. I think many people out there still are under the perception that JB has played zone exclusively his entire career.

Mixing in different defense is like a pitcher having multiple pitches.
Right now we are a one pitch pitcher. I wish JB wasn't so stubborn and mixed things off.
We could be a 75% zone team and 25% m2m team.
We weren't always exclusive zone.

Few things ...

All of our big men could run, jump and pass! Back then, we were a program defined by our forwards, even coming off 5 straight years of Pearl and Sherm. We had DC, Ellis, David Johnson, Manning, and Keith Hughes had just left for Rutgers over the summer.

Richard Manning sighting. His son (Matt) is a top-100 prospect in the Detroit Tigers organization.

(Eye roll) Brilliant decision by Earl Duncan to transfer to Rutgers, when he was the heir apparent to run this team. He must have been paid well!?!

Few things

(Eye roll) Brilliant decision by Earl Duncan to transfer to Rutgers, when he was the heir apparent to run this team. He must have been paid well!?!

Earl Duncan was sitting behind Sherman Douglas and no way he was beating him out till Sherman was gone, Duncan's senior year. He wasn't willing to sit the bench (he also sat out a year because of prop 48). He stated he thought he should have been starting over Sherman :rolleyes:) . His top 3 were Rutgers, Wichita St and UNC Charlotte where he could be run the show.

Mixing in different defense is like a pitcher having multiple pitches.
Right now we are a one pitch pitcher. I wish JB wasn't so stubborn and mixed things off.
We could be a 75% zone team and 25% m2m team.
We weren't always exclusive zone.

JB might argue though that the best closer in baseball, Mariano Rivera, had just one pitch (maybe two). He'd be the exception rather than the rule, though.

JB might argue though that the best closer in baseball, Mariano Rivera, had just one pitch (maybe two). He'd be the exception rather than the rule, though.
As a Red Sox fan I know Rivera. He had 2 pitches. Fastball and cut-fast ball.
Our D is like a knuckleball pitcher. He can confuse the bell out of teams but it can also be torn apart if our personnel isn't good enough like a high knuckleball gets pounded.

Few things ...

All of our big men could run, jump and pass! Back then, we were a program defined by our forwards, even coming off 5 straight years of Pearl and Sherm. We had DC, Ellis, David Johnson, Manning, and Keith Hughes had just left for Rutgers over the summer.

Richard Manning sighting. His son (Matt) is a top-100 prospect in the Detroit Tigers organization.

Manning actually went on to have a very solid two seasons for Washington and had some time in the NBA. After a consultation with Captain Obvious, I think I can say that was a deep front court that year.

Our D is like a knuckleball pitcher. He can confuse the bell out of teams but it can also be torn about if our personnel isn't good enough like a high knuckleball gets pounded.

Agreed. We have a solid trunk monkey press though, lol. That'd be our eephus I suppose.

That was absolutely vintage Duke. So great that we got that win. And as #1 also. You could see the cracks in the facade though - the free throw shooting. It's funny how it affects teams. In this case we almost lost the game because of Stevie Thompson being such an awful FT shooter. Not because he missed one, but rather because he was so desperate not to get fouled that he threw the ball away allowing Duke to tie it up with less than a minute left. Face palm.

Oh also, what in the world was Duke thinking calling that timeout with 1 second left??

Earl Duncan was sitting behind Sherman Douglas and no way he was beating him out till Sherman was gone, Duncan's senior year. He wasn't willing to sit the bench (he also sat out a year because of prop 48). He stated he thought he should have been starting over Sherman :rolleyes:) . His top 3 were Rutgers, Wichita St and UNC Charlotte where he could be run the show.
Agreed. But his lack of logic is frightening.
"I don't want to wait to run the point, so instead of getting some serious run with a Top 5 squad, potentially starting, I am going to sit out a year by transferring to a horsebleep program so I can run their show."

That Prop 48 year killed Duncan's momentum. He was quite talented.
Unfortunately, his time at SU will be remembered best for his missed jumper at the buzzer to potentially tie URI (dang, we lost that game, 97-94 in REGULATION!!!).

Rivera only had to pitch about 11% of a game, too. There isn't a starter in baseball that gets away with one pitch.

There were more Syracuse dunks in the first 5 minutes of that game than in conference games this season. Maybe, I'm exaggerating, but it sure seems like it.

wow, thanks for posting. Very enjoyable to watch. Love the pace and how both teams attacked. Not to mention lots of future NBA players on the court!

Great memories. Watched the whole thing. Brought back my frustrations. SU's poor FT shooting, minimal use of Manning (blunder), etc. Seeing man to man and the team pounding the ball inside, something we have not seen in 20 yrs. Thanks for posting this game.

Hard to believe that a team with this much talent didn't win it all.

This team was the first team to beat Georgetown in DC and swept them on the last day of the season.
We beat a team with Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning twice.
For as much talent as we had how Thompson couldn't take a team with Mutombo and Mourning together to a final four is just pathetic.
In the 80s and early 90s we played amazing OOC games.

Agreed. But his lack of logic is frightening.
"I don't want to wait to run the point, so instead of getting some serious run with a Top 5 squad, potentially starting, I am going to sit out a year by transferring to a horsebleep program so I can run their show."

That Prop 48 year killed Duncan's momentum. He was quite talented.
Unfortunately, his time at SU will be remembered best for his missed jumper at the buzzer to potentially tie URI (dang, we lost that game, 97-94 in REGULATION!!!).

My friend knew we were going to lose that game because they kept showing Tom Garrick's father in the stands. Doomed by the feel good story karma. His dad is blind.

If Anderson came and Matt Roe didn't transfer, we probably would've been one of the best college bball teams of all time. Johnson wasn't much of a shooter yet and Tony Scott was young and erratic. So we were hurting in the PG play and perimeter shooting departments, which held back an insanely big, athletic, talented team with great frontcourt depth and two of the best players in college basketball.

Anderson, Roe, Thompson, Owens, and Coleman. With Johnson and Ellis as 6th/7th man. Scott and Manning as 8th/9th men. That team would've been absurd.

UNLV was an all time great team, and on paper that SU team would've been clearly better.

Our D is like a knuckleball pitcher. He can confuse the bell out of teams but it can also be torn apart if our personnel isn't good enough like a high knuckleball gets pounded.
Just like a knuckleballer will occasionally will try to thrown an 86 mph "fastball" past a hitter just to throw their timing off, JB likes to apply a full-court press on occasion to upset the opposition's rhythm.

Few things ...

He also transferred because he thought Kenny Anderson was coming here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom