First Impressions | Syracusefan.com

First Impressions

sulax

Walk On
SO glad to have SU lax back. We needed it. Plus a season where we have a real chance to make a Final Four! Exciting times again for SU lax... and it’s been a minute since we were real contenders (I kind of consider last year and this year as one season). Here are a few of my thoughts and questions (and sorry if I sound critical, but I prefer to point out our weaknesses after a win, because otherwise I feel like I’m piling on these college kids):

The good
-Dordevic is a stud, and needs to get more shots
-Hiltz is a lifesaver for this team. Such a quick twitch shot with great placement and also has vision (how was he not starting on attack in the 1st game?)
-Porter is a wall
-Wykoff is a stud. Huge pick-up
-Rehfuss’ vision and also shooting (and he even developed a right hand!)

The not so good
-SSDM is often a D’s weakest link, and Aviles (No 43) gave up 3 goals today by getting beat one on one. Any other options for when Dearth and Dami need a breather?
-Long stick defender Murphy (No 90) struggled, too, and he gave up 2 goals from just losing his man. Other options?
-In crunch time, Desko still plays his 2nd line middies. Seriously?
-Curry needs more shots. This team will go as far as our 1st line middies carry us, so let’s ride them
-Scanlan is kind of a mystery. He’s shooting 20% on the year (by far, the lowest on the team among our main players). Offensive players generally have a role if they can beat their man and create a slide, if they’re great shooters, and/or if they have great vision. He’s obviously very skilled, but just not sure yet what his best role is?
-Why is Cook playing on 2nd line middie? Sorry, he seems like a really nice kid, but if I hear that he can ride well one more time... He just can’t shoot/score (0% shooting percentage), and that’s kind of the point of this game! Buttermore, Quinn, and Seebold should be our 2nd line middies. Buttermore has a rocket shot, and he needs to be unleashed.
-Duke is loaded! Sowers going to Duke sucks, and their freshman, O’Neill, is a stud. They’re going to be a problem...

Last edited:
I disagree about Aviles he played good Def for the most part, the first goal they got a jump out of the box on a substitution so he was chasing and the third goal there was very little he could do when the offensive player used him as a screen, he actually played him very well. I can’t remember the second.
I agree with Cook I think we need some need blood on the 2nd line! Buttermore isn’t producing either but can see him turning the corner! Cook should just be the 4th attackman.

Dami looks lost within the package, approaches badly gets beaten often which causes a slide and his reactions are slow to recover! Also turns his back on the ball a lot.

I agree with Cook I think we need some need blood on the 2nd line! Buttermore isn’t producing either but can see him turning the corner! Cook should just be the 4th attackman.

Last edited:
Watched game twice . More positive than most. Thought team performed well on both sides.

Vermont is a good team and brought their A game, this is a game that Cuse would have lost in years past.

Hiltz insertion has added two new weapons at attack not one. Freed up Refhuss, enjoyable watching his skillset on full display. Cant say enuff good things about the rook and vet . Scanlan had a strong second half and his effort was there throughout. 6 weapons better than 4 but greater offensive diversification does incurs some minor adjusting to before both units are hitting on all cylinders.
Bit spoiled by our first line, they contributed as always with 5 goals n second line contributed 4 . .Curry took only one shot which was odd but mids were 14-14 in sog and most came in flow with few bad shots taken.

UVM cleared well but do not recall any transition coming upfield or off their face-off wins that lead to numbers. . Mids either getting back and/or switches were being well made .'

dm trio weren't as noticeable as in uva game but more on gb's than d. Vermont did go after one particular ss throughout with success but thought overall defense graded out fine. Defense was on field much of day .Some confusion but minimal and very few breakdowns . At times, appeared to be playing a hybrid zone with good rotations and drops that protected middle well as Desko mentioned. Couple of fluky bounces resulted in some crease goals, couple of ball watches, one of a cut pass ss and one on losing assignment. All players have bad plays or the occasional brain fart that can be discussed but since #90 mentioned, say that he's a cog and valuable piece of puzzle as is #22 nm. Found slides when needed were for the most part timely . Noticed that Wykoff does a really nice job getting under or above screens . Man down was adjusted and looked much better .

Porter with second straight strong game. His after game comments were very humble but there was some truth in d forcing lower percentage shot angles.

Enjoyed listening to announcer Powell because he offers good insight about what is actually happening on the field. He'll compliment and critique play but done professionally . May be monotone but find his kept emotions to be a plus to listen.

Off day for fogos, see that once in a blue moon . Phaup was a big reason why we swamped uva last week , gotta simply tip your cap to Burke for besting one of the best on this day. His wins kept Vermont in game as well as our struggles across the field on gb's which is also highly unusual. Positive is didnt notched lack of effort. Several times ball squirted out to space that landed in Vermont stick. One of those games. Expecting a major reversal on both fronts next week.

Had expected a competitive game for different reasons. UVM played with passion and executed well. If Cuse had played poorly ,they would have lost. They won.

Wound be interesting to see Scanlan running with 2nd mid line and move Seebold /Ferris down low as a 3rd dodging attack ..

Scanlan finished well on the inside yesterday but he’s mostly a lethal shooter from the wing and not much of a dodging threat

Buttermore has a rocket... but he’s been sleepy this year and Quinn (who I was ready to give up on ) seems to finally be delivering and has replaced that deep outside shot role ..

Watched game twice . More positive than most. Thought team performed well on both sides.

Vermont is a good team and brought their A game, this is a game that Cuse would have lost in years past.

Hiltz insertion has added two new weapons at attack not one. Freed up Refhuss, enjoyable watching his skillset on full display. Cant say enuff good things about the rook and vet . Scanlan had a strong second half and his effort was there throughout. 6 weapons better than 4 but greater offensive diversification does incurs some minor adjusting to before both units are hitting on all cylinders.
Bit spoiled by our first line, they contributed as always with 5 goals n second line contributed 4 . .Curry took only one shot which was odd but mids were 14-14 in sog and most came in flow with few bad shots taken.

UVM cleared well but do not recall any transition coming upfield or off their face-off wins that lead to numbers. . Mids either getting back and/or switches were being well made .'

dm trio weren't as noticeable as in uva game but more on gb's than d. Vermont did go after one particular ss throughout with success but thought overall defense graded out fine. Defense was on field much of day .Some confusion but minimal and very few breakdowns . At times, appeared to be playing a hybrid zone with good rotations and drops that protected middle well as Desko mentioned. Couple of fluky bounces resulted in some crease goals, couple of ball watches, one of a cut pass ss and one on losing assignment. All players have bad plays or the occasional brain fart that can be discussed but since #90 mentioned, say that he's a cog and valuable piece of puzzle as is #22 nm. Found slides when needed were for the most part timely . Noticed that Wykoff does a really nice job getting under or above screens . Man down was adjusted and looked much better .

Porter with second straight strong game. His after game comments were very humble but there was some truth in d forcing lower percentage shot angles.

Enjoyed listening to announcer Powell because he offers good insight about what is actually happening on the field. He'll compliment and critique play but done professionally . May be monotone but find his kept emotions to be a plus to listen.

Off day for fogos, see that once in a blue moon . Phaup was a big reason why we swamped uva last week , gotta simply tip your cap to Burke for besting one of the best on this day. His wins kept Vermont in game as well as our struggles across the field on gb's which is also highly unusual. Positive is didnt notched lack of effort. Several times ball squirted out to space that landed in Vermont stick. One of those games. Expecting a major reversal on both fronts next week.

Had expected a competitive game for different reasons. UVM played with passion and executed well. If Cuse had played poorly ,they would have lost. They won.
Excellent comments. I watched the game again last night. Came away very impressed with Vermont's offense and FOGO. Their ball movement looked like a top 20 team with some good shooters. Cuse offense executed very efficiently and did not panic. The D was a bit sloppy but hung in there and also did not panic. Biggest positive for me was our offense - production from just about everyone including the 2nd mid line. We will need our O to play really well against all of the ACC this year. Porter was strong but we can't expect 16 saves every game and I think our D will tighten things up more.

well observed points, but I just hate to be out hustled, leaves a bad taste. Several of the FOs and a lot of the other gbs were surrounded by Vermont players while SU was largely absent. To borrow a "Money Ball" lament, I hate to be out hustled even more than I like to win. Well, it's close.

Wound be interesting to see Scanlan running with 2nd mid line and move Seebold /Ferris down low as a 3rd dodging attack ..

Scanlan finished well on the inside yesterday but he’s mostly a lethal shooter from the wing and not much of a dodging threat

Buttermore has a rocket... but he’s been sleepy this year and Quinn (who I was ready to give up on ) seems to finally be delivering and has replaced that deep outside shot role ..
That first blurb there is something that I have never thought of but wow, would that be interesting. Imagine him on the second line mid. I'd love to see a lineup on offense of Hiltz, Rehfuss, Ferris at attack. Then you have Seebold, Scanlan, Quinn/Buttermore at 2nd line mid. Lotta guys that can dodge and shoot. Would be very intriguing. I know that puts some pressure on Freshman Ferris, but coaches are high on him, he could draw a short stick and create tons of offense off the dodge.

That first blurb there is something that I have never thought of but wow, would that be interesting. Imagine him on the second line mid. I'd love to see a lineup on offense of Hiltz, Rehfuss, Ferris at attack. Then you have Seebold, Scanlan, Quinn/Buttermore at 2nd line mid. Lotta guys that can dodge and shoot. Would be very intriguing. I know that puts some pressure on Freshman Ferris, but coaches are high on him, he could draw a short stick and create tons of offense off the dodge.
Isn’t Ferris left-handed? If so, you’d have three left-handed attackmen in that scenario. That’ll never happen.

I personally think a huge part of our season will be how the defense continues to gel and improve their play. We have to remember this is really just the 8th game with most of this defense playing together. 3 games this year, 5 last year. Not to mention you now add Wykoff to the mix, who has been good in the package, but I'm sure is still working out some kinks.

Last thing I want to touch on is the loss of Fernandez... what happened there? He really just wanted to go Hopkins for a better education? He is proving to be a pretty massive loss. For what Fernandez lacked in size in 1-on-1 defending, he made up for in GB play and clearing ability. He was so good at stick handling and scooping up GBs. Really miss him on the wings too.

Leave well enough alone .

Forty plus goal scorers dont fall off trees and playing for today not tomorrow.

Can already use Seebold and/or Ferris on inverts with Scanlan or another going up top . Those two may be better dodgers but neither is the wing passer that Scanlan is and that matters in our current alignment

Maybe something coaches ponder next year when Trimboli and Refhuss are gone and Seebold/Ferris are further along. .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom