Focusing on Triche over the last few minutes | Syracusefan.com

Focusing on Triche over the last few minutes

swish7

All Conference
Above (or below) anyone else, bad Triche really stood out like sore thumb today. he seemed to practically single-handedly take us out of this game.

I decided to rewatch the last 6 minutes of the game, focus purely on Triche, and see if things were as bad as my immediate impressions said they were. They were and weren't. All the bad things, i.e. direct cause, I initially noticed were still there. However, there were a few positives that I missed. And also, there were some bad plays he was involved in, but was not the direct cause.

5:58 turns the ball over on a simple inbounds play.

5:35 Luke Hancock (referred to as the "dumb white kid" by the chat room intelligentsia) drills a 3 over Triche, as he gives the token, minimal effort, just gonna raise my hand on D

4:57 Thankfully, he hands the ball off to MCW, who gets a great score.

3:50 Part of a nice set in which Fair misses from the wing

3:48 Inbounds to Fair, whom tries to do too much, and ends up travelling. TO.

3:15 Reaches way in on Hancock, but Cuse gets the call, "pushing" on Hancock.

2:51 Part of a great set, ultimately giving it to Fair on the other wing, for a deuce.8-0 run for the Orange, up 1!

1:58 Team immediately looks out of focus after having gone up 1. Triche pauses for a few seconds to set whatever it is the offense is. 1st pass is to MCW, whom then gives it back to Triche. Triche dribble drives immediately, and short rims a shot he probably should not have taken. I would have liked us to work the clock there, and go to Fair or MCW. Critical possession.

1:53 Right away, Triche reaches in and fouls a Louisville player. Really unnecessarily.

1:44 On the same possession, Louisville misses a 3, Fair knocks it out to Triche. Triche starts running before he grabs the ball, gets challenged by the Louisville player, and dribbles off his foot. Great effort by Fair. Bone headed play by Triche. Turnover. Smith gets the rock, Triche is praying to his inner demons, gesticulating to nobody but himself, while Smith blows right by him. Foul on an interior Cuse player. Triche apparently thinks dribbling off one's foot is a foul on the opponent.

1:37 Smith misses his 2nd FT. Triche does not box out. Smith gets the rock, dishes to Bohannon, whom gets fouled.

1:28 TO JB. Triche goes to the bench grabbing his forearm, seemingly signalling that he was held at some point. JB is reading him the riot act.

1:15 Nice set, but Fair passes Triche the rock as he's under the basket, Triche misses a circus shot. Not sure I blame him for it, given where Fair's pass left him. Still, would have been nice if he settled, and either squared up for 2 and a foul, or reset the offense.

1:14 Triche inbounds to MCW, turnover Cuse. Really bad pass IMO. In the chat, some were arguing that MCW should have handled it. Elmore was as well. After a few re-watches I see his point. Still, it was a called play, but it didn't seem to be there. MCW couldn't squeeze off his man. Triche should have went elsewhere or called a TO.

:50 Triche gets caught up on a screen. His man blows past him, and dribbles to the "dumb white kid" for a 3, putting Louisville up 3.

:34 Even though we're only down 3, the wheels are off. MCW, misses a difficult 3, and Triche fouls Smith.

:27 Triche with an awful turnover. He dribbles into 2 players, Ware and the "dumb white kid" and Ware strips him.

:16 Triche gets fouled on a good drive to the rim. Makes both.

:14 We press the inbounds. MCW deflects the ball to Triche. Triche seems to get held by #10, but arguably should have handled the ball. Again, he was running before having a handle on the ball. Ball goes off Triche's hand, then foot, between Grant's legs, and out of bounds, Louisville ball.

Take it how you will. Whipping boy or not. You really hate the kid to wither under pressure like this, in his senior season of all things. He needs to guide us to a few wins in the tourney to clean his slate.

He's putrid. He won us the game in Louisville, other than that he's been useless. He's literally regressed every year. If we had Andy Rautins this year we'd probably have 1 or 2 losses and be the #1 team in America.

really simply totally horrendous today. a stinky wet fart on the court.

Difficult to stomach that the best things your senior guard did were be a functional part of some offensive sets and get fouled on a drive, given the other mistakes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He's putrid. He won us the game in Louisville, other than that he's been useless. He's literally regressed every year. If we had Andy Rautins this year we'd probably have 1 or 2 losses and be the #1 team in America.
Don't kid yourself . Not many players could help this team's incredible poor performances lately. IMO the worse coaching job in Boeheim's career is in progress. BTW How does Pitino not get called for T? Ranting and throwing his jacket.Yeah it seemsBrandon has finished the season a bit early, even for him. I guess he is upset because of all the minutes Trevor is taking from him.Gran'ts play has slowed down considerably since his first few games when freshmen don't know their ass from the basket supposedly.:p

Is it that Brandon can't mentally step up or he just isn't good enough to?

I've been hearing for 4 years about how talented Brandon is and how good he could be, and I've never seen it. Not that I think he has no talent, but he's never a guy I've watched and thought he had another gear he could hit.

I've been hearing for 4 years about how talented Brandon is and how good he could be, and I've never seen it. Not that I think he has no talent, but he's never a guy I've watched and thought he had another gear he could hit.
This.

Looking back at this, starting from 1:58. Wow, was this a winnable game. What a dang shame.

Yeah I'm in your camp. But, watching him as a frosh I thought he would be at minimum a very good shooter and competent in all other aspects. I didn't see star, but I saw more than what he has become. I thought his upside was like an Autry (who people forget struggled for 2.5 seasons) He just hasn't gotten any better and his shooting has gotten steadily worse

Yeah I'm in your camp. But, watching him as a frosh I thought he would be at minimum a very good shooter and competent in all other aspects. I didn't see star, but I saw more than what he has become. I thought his upside was like an Autry (who people forget struggled for 2.5 seasons) He just hasn't gotten any better and his shooting has gotten steadily worse

I was optimistic that, like every Syracuse player ever other than maybe Todd Burgan, Triche would develop some semblance of composure and learn to stop making freshman turnovers during his four years.

Also thought he'd use his physique to his advantage, scoring a lot in the lane and taking a lot of free throws.

0-for-2

The pressure has I am guessing gotten to Triche. Senior, everyone looking for him to step up, the 1 or 2 few shooters on the team, etc. He's not mentally made up to do it.

I was optimistic that, like every Syracuse player ever other than maybe Todd Burgan, Triche would develop some semblance of composure and learn to stop making freshman turnovers during his four years.

Also thought he'd use his physique to his advantage, scoring a lot in the lane and taking a lot of free throws.

0-for-2
I thought watching burgan was going to literally cause one of my buddies to be institutionalized. That said he was waaaaaay better than Triche. You can win an nc with burgan as maybe your 3rd best player, and Triche as maybe your 5th best.

Above (or below) anyone else, bad Triche really stood out like sore thumb today. he seemed to practically single-handedly take us out of this game.

I decided to rewatch the last 6 minutes of the game, focus purely on Triche, and see if things were as bad as my immediate impressions said they were. They were and weren't. All the bad things, i.e. direct cause, I initially noticed were still there. However, there were a few positives that I missed. And also, there were some bad plays he was involved in, but was not the direct cause.

5:35 Luke Hancock (referred to as the "dumb white kid" by the chat room intelligentsia) drills a 3 over Triche, as he gives the token, minimal effort, just gonna raise my hand on D

2:51 Part of a great set, ultimately giving it to Fair on the other wing, for a deuce.8-0 run for the Orange, up 1!

1:58 Team immediately looks out of focus after having gone up 1. Triche pauses for a few seconds to set whatever it is the offense is. 1st pass is to MCW, whom then gives it back to Triche. Triche dribble drives immediately, and short rims a shot he probably should not have taken. I would have liked us to work the clock there, and go to Fair or MCW. Critical possession.

1:53 Right away, Triche reaches in and fouls a Louisville player. Really unnecessarily.

1:44 On the same possession, Louisville misses a 3, Fair knocks it out to Triche. Triche starts running before he grabs the ball, gets challenged by the Louisville player, and dribbles off his foot. Great effort by Fair. Bone headed play by Triche. Turnover. Smith gets the rock, Triche is praying to his inner demons, gesticulating to nobody but himself, while Smith blows right by him. Foul on an interior Cuse player. Triche apparently thinks dribbling off one's foot is a foul on the opponent.

1:37 Smith misses his 2nd FT. Triche does not box out. Smith gets the rock, dishes to Bohannon, whom gets fouled.

1:28 TO JB. Triche goes to the bench grabbing his forearm, seemingly signalling that he was held at some point. JB is reading him the riot act.

1:15 Nice set, but Fair passes Triche the rock as he's under the basket, Triche misses a circus shot. Not sure I blame him for it, given where Fair's pass left him. Still, would have been nice if he settled, and either squared up for 2 and a foul, or reset the offense.

1:14 Triche inbounds to MCW, turnover Cuse. Really bad pass IMO. In the chat, some were arguing that MCW should have handled it. Elmore was as well. After a few re-watches I see his point. Still, it was a called play, but it didn't seem to be there. MCW couldn't squeeze off his man. Triche should have went elsewhere or called a TO.

:50 Triche gets caught up on a screen. His man blows past him, and dribbles to the "dumb white kid" for a 3, putting Louisville up 3.

:34 Even though we're only down 3, the wheels are off. MCW, misses a difficult 3, and Triche fouls Smith.

:27 Triche with an awful turnover. He dribbles into 2 players, Ware and the "dumb white kid" and Ware strips him.

:14 We press the inbounds. MCW deflects the ball to Triche. Triche seems to get held by #10, but arguably should have handled the ball. Again, he was running before having a handle on the ball. Ball goes off Triche's hand, then foot, between Grant's legs, and out of bounds, Louisville ball.

Take it how you will. Whipping boy or not. You really hate the kid to wither under pressure like this, in his senior season of all things. He needs to guide us to a few wins in the tourney to clean his slate.
You had to remind me?

I thought watching burgan was going to literally cause one of my buddies to be institutionalized. That said he was waaaaaay better than Triche. You can win an nc with burgan as maybe your 3rd best player, and Triche as maybe your 5th best.

Triche's position is definitely more important. This team is such a mess with an empty spot at off-guard.

Sad as it is, Burgan was quite a bit more consistent. (The first two things I associate with him, unfortunately, are missed dunks/layups and really dumb turnovers...he never grew into a smart ballplayer.)

While that inbounds pass to MCW was a bad idea overall, I really thought MCW quit on that play and should have continued to the hoop and gone strong over his defender. I guarantee you that BT thought that as well.

Triche's position is definitely more important. This team is such a mess with an empty spot at off-guard.

Sad as it is, Burgan was quite a bit more consistent. (The first two things I associate with him, unfortunately, are missed dunks/layups and really dumb turnovers...he never grew into a smart ballplayer.)
This is a random stat and probably doesn't mean much but Triche has blocked 12 shots in his career. That is less than Jason fing Cippolla had. Maybe pints a bit to his lack of explosiveness.

This is a random stat and probably doesn't mean much but Triche has blocked 12 shots in his career. That is less than Jason fing Cippolla had. Maybe points a bit to his lack of explosiveness.

This is a random stat and probably doesn't mean much but Triche has blocked 12 shots in his career. That is less than Jason fing Cippolla had. Maybe pints a bit to his lack of explosiveness.

Cipolla and Waiters each had 14 in two years. Scoop had that many in four. Marius Janulis only managed 6.

Triche has never seemed to be the leaper that we assume he is. That lob catch against Providence was really impressive because there was no way I thought he could elevate like that.

With inconsistent form, it's a lot harder for non-leapers to score in the lane.

Southerland was curling off a screen for a wide open 3 attempt on the left on that one. I like our chances there better than a bounce pass under a defenders arm who was tightly guarding our PG on the baseline. I don't blame MCW on that because the ball never should've went to him.

Knowing how Triche had been playing to that point, I question why he was inbounding that ball in a high pressure situation like that.

Replayed it a few times, I thought he got fouled on the arm at 1:58 by Dung. This is why it looked like he short armed the shot. Also replayed the Fair travel call. Don't think he traveled there and he made the shot...big swing because then came the Louisville 4 chances on one end sequence.

The tough thing with Triche is in a lot of these cases he doesn't have to make a big play, he just needs to not make a bad one.

And yet, he is making a lot of bad ones.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom