Folks- adjust your sights... | Syracusefan.com

Folks- adjust your sights...

bpo57

Living Legend
This team is just ok at best. I know there are very few really solid teams out there but we are not even close to being one of them. I said two weeks ago that come mid-March SU would have 7-8 losses and be staring at a #4 seed. Nothing that has happened in the last two weeks has changed that opinion. Too many folks here envision us as a #2 caliber type seed. Ain't gonna happen.

Tend to agree.

I think in a normal year this team would have been ranked around 20th and our expectations would have been a bit different. The good news is that there are not any great teams so if our shooters can catch fire we can do some damage. Realistically though I think we make the sweet 16 then bow out.

I would like to see us win the BET as it would make up for losing to UConn and G'Town.

Um my Iggy prediction for the year was 22-9 so...I don't think I need adjusting thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Let's wait til tournament time before we check prophecy. After Wednesday's game, this team looked great. Today, they looked bad. I worry about mid and late March, not now.

Do you come looking for a pat on the back for such amazing prescience? The team has demonstrated that they are just as capable of playing at a very high level as they are playing in a rag-tag type fashion. Teams have off days and bad games. It happens. Miami got beat by Wake Forest today. RPI 159. I know it was ugly, frustrating, and demoralizing today but true fans stand behind their team and try to see them in their best light until the last second of the last game of the season.

I'm not quitting on this team, or any Syracuse team. EVER. Period.

Um my Iggy prediction for the year was 22-9 so...I don't think I need adjusting thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Nice call. You are an outlier.

Let's wait til tournament time before we check prophecy. After Wednesday's game, this team looked great. Today, they looked bad. I worry about mid and late March, not now.

Hard to compare playing Providence (which isn't really even mid-major level anymore) to playing G'Town.

Did we play a good team on Wednesday? No. I said it early and often. We are not that good, MCW is not that good, and we have no 2nd contract NBA players on this team. Absent Grant really growing, I stick by that. I hope I am proven wrong.

On PTI JB said "this team is better than I thought considering what we lost". He's right.

While we certainly have the talent to make a run in March, this isn't like 2010 or 2012

We'll split our last four, finish 12-6 in the BE and get a third or fourth seed. About what I expected for some time. This is a good team but one with many flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you come looking for a pat on the back for such amazing prescience? The team has demonstrated that they are just as capable of playing at a very high level as they are playing in a rag-tag type fashion. Teams have off days and bad games. It happens. Miami got beat by Wake Forest today. RPI 159. I know it was ugly, frustrating, and demoralizing today but true fans stand behind their team and try to see them in their best light until the last second of the last game of the season.

I'm not quitting on this team, or any Syracuse team. EVER. Period.

No pats on the back are necessary. And I'd love to be wrong. I don't enjoy these losses any more than you do and I sure as hell am not giving up on them. I just came to the conclusion a few weeks ago that we are very overrated. Sorry for the reality check.

Hard to compare playing Providence (which isn't really even mid-major level anymore) to playing G'Town.

Yikes. I guess someone should inform #21 ranked Notre Dame & #17 ranked Cinci that they just lost to a Providence team that is now not even a mid-major level team anymore.

Guess blowing out a team that was on a 4-game Big East win streak (including wins over 2 ranked teams) just doesn't do it for people anymore.

Yikes. I guess someone should inform #21 ranked Notre Dame & #17 ranked Cinci that they just lost to a Villanova team that is now not even a mid-major level team anymore.

Guess blowing out a team that was on a 4-game Big East win streak (including wins over 2 ranked teams) just doesn't do it for people anymore.

Villanova is not Providence. Villanova will do just fine in the new C7 league. Providence however I fully expect to drop even further off the map then they already are.

as with most boeheim coached teams,we will peak early against the cupcakes and then coast the rest of the year without improving...G.T. is a good example as they have 10 of their last 11 games.

they are better coached

We will be a 3 seed.

We'd better get our act together cuz our OOC resume is rather thin. And as we have seen in recent years that can really hurt you.

as with most boeheim coached teams,we will peak early against the cupcakes and then coast the rest of the year without improving...G.T. is a good example as they have 10 of their last 11 games.

they are better coached
yikes. You keep jt3. I'll take jb. Let me know when jt3 wins an nc

As someone mentioned earlier, I don't think anyone is under the illusion that this is a championship-or-bust team like '10 or '12. It's a good team, not great. Sometimes things click, sometimes they don't, the team's real value is somewhere in the middle of the highs and the lows we've seen. I think most people have a grasp of this, and despite the frustration that comes with any loss (and especially one like today's) most SU fans probably hold somewhat tempered expectations for what this season will ultimately yield.

We're probably a 3-seed type team. I'd liken this year's team to the '08-'09 team (Flynn's final year). If we fluctuate between seasons like this one, where we're good but not great, and seasons where we are true contenders, then I am perfectly content as a fan.

I knew we weren't very good but I'd rather lose to a 16 seed than lose to Georgetown in front of 35K.

As someone mentioned earlier, I don't think anyone is under the illusion that this is a championship-or-bust team like '10 or '12. It's a good team, not great. Sometimes things click, sometimes they don't, the team's real value is somewhere in the middle of the highs and the lows we've seen. I think most people have a grasp of this, and despite the frustration that comes with any loss (and especially one like today's) most SU fans probably hold somewhat tempered expectations for what this season will ultimately yield.

You may be right. My perception is based on continued commentary where folks speculate on a 1 or 2 seed. I also think we have been overrated in the national polls. My view is we are somewhere in the 15-20 vicinity but clearly not a top 10 team.

You may be right. My perception is based on continued commentary where folks speculate on a 1 or 2 seed. I also think we have been overrated in the national polls. My view is we are somewhere in the 15-20 vicinity but clearly not a top 10 team.
Personally, I don't think there is a ton of difference between being ranked, say, 9 versus 16. At that point it is more to do with what you're doing specifically at that stretch of the season then it is how good of a team you actually are.

Personally, I don't think there is a ton of difference between being ranked, say, 9 versus 16. At that point it is more to do with what you're doing specifically at that stretch of the season then it is how good of a team you actually are.

But it's a two-fold problem. a) we're not as good as the polls and some pundits have indicated and b) we're certainly not improving, building momentum etc heading into March.

24-7 here. There were a couple of us with that record and you were the only one who went with more losses than 7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom