"Fool his way on to an NFL roster." | Syracusefan.com

"Fool his way on to an NFL roster."

MadNY3

All American
Catching up on the week.

My god...that has to be the quote of the month.

Catching up on the week.

My god...that has to be the quote of the month.

Ditto man. I've said it once, I'll say it again! Nassib takes more crap for nothing more than any orange player i've seen before. Kid's about to break records and people here chew him up like he's Gary Nova.

Ditto man. I've said it once, I'll say it again! Nassib takes more crap for nothing more than any orange player i've seen before. Kid's about to break records and people here chew him up like he's Gary Nova.

I don't think he's a great QB by any means. He is frustrating as he still has trouble looking off a statue and his accuracy beyond 15 yards was horrid last year.

BUT, the kid maximizes his talent and is a three-year starter to be. But "fool his way on to an NFL roster" is just so awesome of a statement. Seems like something that would come out of a GRob media training session. (And I say that respectfully to kcsu who birthed the phrase.)

We were one of the worst teams in college ball last year in plays of 15+yards...i do not however believe much of that is to blame on Nassib. The o-line didnt give him more than 3 seconds to get rid of the ball...and we had more drops than i can ever remember. Big time drops at that...game losing drops

We were one of the worst teams in college ball last year in plays of 15+yards...i do not however believe much of that is to blame on Nassib. The o-line didnt give him more than 3 seconds to get rid of the ball...and we had more drops than i can ever remember. Big time drops at that...game losing drops
True enough JC, but I am sure you saw what the rest of us did when Ryan missed wide open receivers down field by a large margin. The stats on long gains are probably worse given that many of those plays were short passes with large YAC.

3.5 seconds should be enough time. If a receiver runs even a 5.0 40, he can get 28 yards down field in 3.5 seconds. More likely we are talking more than that so protection does not seem to be the issue. He was sacked 29 times, which puts him 5th in the BE last year.

True enough JC, but I am sure you saw what the rest of us did when Ryan missed wide open receivers down field by a large margin. The stats on long gains are probably worse given that many of those plays were short passes with large YAC.

3.5 seconds should be enough time. If a receiver runs even a 5.0 40, he can get 28 yards down field in 3.5 seconds. More likely we are talking more than that so protection does not seem to be the issue. He was sacked 29 times, which puts him 5th in the BE last year.

Except WR's get jammed off the line and don't run routes in a straight line because DB's can run stride for stride with them.

Also, passing lanes close down and when a QB is flushed it cuts off half of the field.

Except WR's get jammed off the line and don't run routes in a straight line because DB's can run stride for stride with them.

Also, passing lanes close down and when a QB is flushed it cuts off half of the field.

3.5 seconds is ample. Except for short routes (quick outs, hitches or slants), WR routes do pretty much go in straight lines for the first 20 yards or so and some long routes are fairly straight. I purposely used a slow 5.0 speed to account for a bump or cut. Ryan just does not get sacked more than others and we passed about half the time.

He wouldn't get 3.5 seconds in the NFL.

3.5 seconds is ample. Except for short routes (quick outs, hitches or slants), WR routes do pretty much go in straight lines for the first 20 yards or so and some long routes are fairly straight. I purposely used a slow 5.0 speed to account for a bump or cut. Ryan just does not get sacked more than others and we passed about half the time.

He wouldn't get 3.5 seconds in the NFL.

He hasn't gotten 3.5 seconds at Syracuse except for against WVU. Running around and getting the pass off isn't the same as dropping back, scoping the field, and throwing. With a good pocket that the QB can trust the ball should be out in less than 3 seconds of his drop. That's drop then 1, 2, and throw by 3 and Nassib hasn't had that.

WR routes do not ever go for 20 yards straight off the line unless it's a hail mary and the defense allows it. Go routes break out or in within 5 yards then up otherwise the DB jams them, post routes cut around 10 yards, dig route cuts at 10 yards and then again at 14, etc. That's why DB's sit 5-10 off the line and let the WR eat up the cushion while back peddling to see where the WR is going to break while reading the QB, or jams them off the line then turns to follow if they're fast enough accelerating from their break to do so.

Straight 40 time means nothing unless you are even with, or already past a player. It's a pretty number but 10 and 20 yard split times and shuttle times are more telling.

I'm hopeful that Nassib's understanding of playing qb will be raised to new heights of sexuality such that he is in position to seduce an NFL team into drafting him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I should have said 10 yards however, long routes only have time for one cut and fly routes and stick routes are straight or virtually straight so, it does not matter if the only cut is 10 or 20 yards.

Ryan had the second most pass attempts and the 4th highest sacks. He just was not sacked that often. I grant you he used play action and rolled out a lot but the sack number do not indicate he had anything other than average pass protection. It was not all on the OLine by any means.

Ryan had the second most pass attempts and the 4th highest sacks. He just was not sacked that often. I grant you he used play action and rolled out a lot but the sack number do not indicate he had anything other than average pass protection. It was not all on the OLine by any means.

The lower sack number indicates we have a QB that can create a bit of time and at least make it back to or near the LOS occasionally before getting tackled. At that point it's a rushing attempt vs a sack. Nassib is credited with 65 rushing attempts at 0.6 YPC last year (~ 5.5 rushes per game). How many of those do you think were actually supposed to be QB runs?

I'm not going to try and argue that Nassib is as good as the quarterbacks who's numbers he is about to pass. However, to be fair, he seems to have had a higher percentage of pass plays with less than 1 sec of protection than any other quarterback we've had. How many times last year did he take the snap and immediately had a guy coming untouched in his face? The quarterbacks that we'd like him to be also had recievers likeRob Moore, Qadry Ismail, Shelby Hill, Marvin Harrison, and Kevin Johnson to throw to. Nassib has had Mike Williams for half a season and Sales for realistically one game. How many deep balls/touchdowns did those guys catch in what little time they had with him (hopefully Sales regains his bowl game form). Like I said, I'm not trying to say he's in the same class as Don McPherson, Marvin Graves, or Donovan McNabb. He does take more abuse than he deserves though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom