Football success | Syracusefan.com

Football success

SWC75

Bored Historian
There's something about football success that gives a sense of potency and well-being. Basketball success is fun, but it's not quite the same. Watching these other teams in bowls games, I keep saying, "Well, we could handle them" or "I'm glad I'm not rooting for that team."

I think it has something to do with the physical nature of the sport. When your football team wins and looks good doing it, you feel like you've vicariously overpowered the opposition, not just out-scored them. By the same token football failure is more disheartening and severe failure, (a blow-out loss) seems more horrific, likely for the same reasons.

SWC75 - basketball is physical Just in a different way. To me the difference is the team aspect of football where you need far more teamwork to be consistently good at making plays.

I went to every Grob football game and I know the sinking stomach feeling youre talking about. The SU up tempo feel of this year renewed my faith in SU football - I predicted a 6-6 season and they more than beat my expectations especially how the finished the season. I even forgot about the SU bball game later that night cause I was so satisfied with the win against WVA.

SWC75 - basketball is physical Just in a different way. To me the difference is the team aspect of football where you need far more teamwork to be consistently good at making plays.

I went to every Grob football game and I know the sinking stomach feeling youre talking about. The SU up tempo feel of this year renewed my faith in SU football - I predicted a 6-6 season and they more than beat my expectations especially how the finished the season. I even forgot about the SU bball game later that night cause I was so satisfied with the win against WVA.

A very different way.:bang: :bat:

There's plenty of teamwork in basketball, too. I like hearing Mackey McPherson talk about how our men handled their men in the trenches. Basketball doesn't have that.

Football also typically has at least three times as many fans in attendance live and on tv (although Cuse huge bball crowds and small fball crowds don't bear that out), so there's more raw energy in game and much more important, there are only 12 or 13 games a year once a week versus 35+ depending on how far you go and a couple a week. Fewer games makes each one much more important. Finally, football brings in so much more money because so many more people are watching and care about the outcome of each single game. That means when you run into a neighbor or friend or talk to a buddy across the country, if you say "did you see the Cuse embarrass WVU in the football game?" The answer is much more likely to be yes and then you talk about the game than if you ask "Did you see Cuse whomp Seton Hall in basketball yesterday? More people care so there is more comradery and enthusiasm over football.