For all the cliff jumpers | Syracusefan.com

For all the cliff jumpers

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
I was told that the coaches thought this would be a difficult year due to youth and inexperience, but they expect to do very well next year.

I believe that coach Mac had a fall back year before SU turned the corner with him, so don"t give up hope.

Be glad none of Doug's assistants are married to Laurie Fine.

im getting sick of the mac marrone garbage-
marrone had no experience as head coach-mac had experience

you cant compare the 2- the knowledge upgrade mac brought to the position compared to marrone

But I hear that the Special Team's coach's wife is a real freak. Oh wait .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you cant compare the 2- the knowledge upgrade mac brought to the position compared to marrone
It is nice that Doug is in love with Mac. Lets hope that he can produce the same results and turn what has been a complete melt down into a solid season next year. If not Doug can look forward to a nice check from the university and a solid assistants job in the NFL.

I was told that the coaches thought this would be a difficult year due to youth and inexperience, but they expect to do very well next year.

I believe that coach Mac had a fall back year before SU turned the corner with him, so don"t give up hope.

Be glad none of Doug's assistants are married to Laurie Fine.

It's as predictable as snow in Syracuse in December. It's almost a "script" that a percentage of any fan base feels compelled to follow religiously.

Dissappointed with the team's season? "Fire the coach!", they holler.

I wonder if its the same crowd that wants to pass on first down almost always.

100 yards in penalties and 6 turnovers? "Fire the coach!" using the time-honored theory of "ultimate responsibility" which is frequently a brain-dead solution.

Why do we expect to do well next year ? I hate to be negative but I just don't see that. Our senior QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if his life depended on it. The running game will take a step backwards IMHO with the loss of Ant and our dependence on PTG (with a propensity for injury) and Smith who was serviceable in a limited roll but certainly not a step up from Ant. The OL might improve but we've been saying that for the last 8 years and even if they dd, Nassib remains a liability in this offensive scheme. On the defensive side, we need to seriously upgrade our LB's and secondary. Finishing in last place in this sorry excuse of a league is a very very bad thing and troubles me more than anything else. If we were losing to legitimate BCS teams I would not be so concerned but Rutgers, UConn, USF and Pitt are BAD football teams. At this point we would be a middle of the road MAC or CUSA team. I watched the CUSA championship game yesterday and both So. Miss. amd Houston would embarass us.

I want to believe that we will see a new OC and the hiring of a ST guru but I will not be surprised if everything stays as is.

There are simply no excuses to be made for the 5 game car crash this year and the fiasco that was the Rutgers game. DM needs to take a hard look at his staff, personnel and most importantly, himself this off season and be willing to admit that serious changes need to be made.

It's as predictable as snow in Syracuse in December. It's almost a "script" that a percentage of any fan base feels compelled to follow religiously.

Dissappointed with the team's season? "Fire the coach!", they holler.

I wonder if its the same crowd that wants to pass on first down almost always.

100 yards in penalties and 6 turnovers? "Fire the coach!" using the time-honored theory of "ultimate responsibility" which is frequently a brain-dead solution.
Townie what planet are you on? Who the heck do you think should be held accountable for the program? The players? Assistant coaches? AD? BOT? Major donors? No Townie it is the head coach. That is why he is the HEAD COACH. Why he is the highest paid coach, why he is in charge of the program, why he decides who we hire and fire as assistant coaches. Why he decides what players get 50k a year to go to school. It is the head coach who sets the rules for the team. It is the head coach who decides who plays, what plays are called. The head coach makes decisions on every aspect of the program and the head coach is the one who is held accountable for the program. Wake up

defense must find some legit linemen and a mlb so spruill can move back outside- db's can play tighter man to man if they arent spending so much time looking at the line for breakout runners and qb's-

macky is religated back to special teams-thats a good start for the line-
but i also think marrone has bet the bank on his redshirt class that watched this year-he has to find linemen, running backs and a legit field stretching receiver and a backup qb he will give some snaps too

Townie what planet are you on? Who the heck do you think should be held accountable for the program? The players? Assistant coaches? AD? BOT? Major donors? No Townie it is the head coach. That is why he is the HEAD COACH. Why he is the highest paid coach, why he is in charge of the program, why he decides who we hire and fire as assistant coaches. Why he decides what players get 50k a year to go to school. It is the head coach who sets the rules for the team. It is the head coach who decides who plays, what plays are called. The head coach makes decisions on every aspect of the program and the head coach is the one who is held accountable for the program. Wake up

I'm on the planet on which it's the players who committed all those penalties.

I am on the planet on which screaming for the coaches head is automatic after (and during) disappointing seasons.

I am on the planet on which replacing head coaches frequently leads to poorer performance in the short and longer term.

I don't think Marrone is the problem at all. Too many other factors are affecting SU's effort to get back to the 1990's.

Replacing Marrone does nothing to address all these other problems.

Calling for his head is in my opinion simplistic and border-line silly.

Wake up? I'm awake.

I agree. Plus college football has changed so much the last 30 years any comparison is foolish. Marrone's job is so much harder than Mac's ever was its not even comparable. It's almost not even the same sport in many ways. With the money involved these days in programs and such. It's night and day.

I agree. Plus college football has changed so much the last 30 years any comparison is foolish. Marrone's job is so much harder than Mac's ever was its not even comparable. It's almost not even the same sport in many ways. With the money involved these days in programs and such. It's night and day.

When Edsall was at UConn he bemoaned the impact of the Internet on recruiting.

Pre-Internet it was possible for have-not and on-the-rise programs to find and successfully recruit hidden gems. Now there aren't any more "hidden gems". Top programs can find, see, evaluate and recruit just about everybody who can play.

When Edsall was at UConn he bemoaned the impact of the Internet on recruiting.

Pre-Internet it was possible for have-not and on-the-rise programs to find and successfully recruit hidden gems. Now there aren't any more "hidden gems". Top programs can find, see, evaluate and recruit just about everybody who can play.
That is one great example. There are a million more. Sports Talk radio blowing up the way it has, making things harder on coaches for one their job and two a place for rumors to get out. You have regional cable networks airing high school football weekly in some parts of the country and over the internet. Giving kids easier access to be seen across the country. The amount of money involved in these football programs is so much that sticking with a head coach one or two years too long can cripple a school economically for many many years. Schools would rather have a quick trigger finger and fire a guy a year too early rather than a year too late and risk tons of money. The explosion of sports agents over the last 30 years and the headaches they present to college coaches.

When Mac turned SU around it was a different world and he had it much easier.. The job Marrone has is much harder and he has a different set of hurdles than Mac ever did.

Brilliant.

Coach Mac, with all of his experience, took seven years to develope the kind of program you want.

And he did not inherit what Marrone inherited.

The criticism of Coach Mac back then was that he had been a head coach at a small football program. Many wanted him gone after the 1986 losing season - his sixth year at SU.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...
Next year...wait until next year. We're going to be AWESOME next year. You just wait and see.

yeah, sure.

Brilliant.

Coach Mac, with all of his experience, took seven years to develope the kind of program you want.

And he did not inherit what Marrone inherited.

The criticism of Coach Mac back then was that he had been a head coach at a small football program. Many wanted him gone after the 1986 losing season - his sixth year at SU.

Maloney did not leave an empty closet.

The 1979 team was very good.

Some people here feel that becoming the head football coach at SU is on par with becoming a Supreme Court Judge. You get a job for life no matter what the results are. You can do no wrong!

Some people here feel that becoming the head football coach at SU is on par with becoming a Supreme Court Judge. You get a job for life no matter what the results are. You can do no wrong!

Well, how's that for overstatement? It's a time-honored trick to extend yur opponent's position to the ridiculoue.

Let's see ... since the early 1950's SU has had Schwartzwalder, Maloney, MCPherson, Pasqualoni, Robonson and Marrone. What's that tell you?

In BB we have had 3 guys since the mid-1960's. In Lacrosse it's the three guys since forever.

While not a lifetime appointment, the pattern is coaching stability.

mac also understood from day 1 that special teams could win games-

from what we have seen for 3 years im not sure marrone has-
special teams has regressed each year instead of getting better-

thats the problem with a no experience hire-mac learned and took his lumps before su-marrone never had any lumps till he took the job-this year he was pretty lumpy-lol

mac also understood from day 1 that special teams could win games-

from what we have seen for 3 years im not sure marrone has-
special teams has regressed each year instead of getting better-

thats the problem with a no experience hire-mac learned and took his lumps before su-marrone never had any lumps till he took the job-this year he was pretty lumpy-lol

Coach Mac understood the importance of special teams?

Really.

Tell us how you happen to know how much he understood its imporance?

Was it that fumble of a punt by Scott Schwedes in the Cherry Bowl?

Or did you discuss special teams with Mac during is initial 2-9 season?

As far as your comment about Mac taking lumps. Are you referring to "lumps" he took at UMass?

Did those "lumps" make it more palatable for you during the six years of mediocrity he had at SU from 1981 through 1986?

I am on the planet on which screaming for the coaches head is automatic after (and during) disappointing seasons.
I consider this the Queen of Hearts "Off with their heads" crowd. To the simple-minded it seems like such a quick, easy fix.

I'm on the planet on which it's the players who committed all those penalties.

I am on the planet on which replacing head coaches frequently leads to poorer performance in the short and longer term.

I don't think Marrone is the problem at all. Too many other factors are affecting SU's effort to get back to the 1990's.

Replacing Marrone does nothing to address all these other problems.

Calling for his head is in my opinion simplistic and border-line silly.

Wake up? I'm awake.
You may be awake so take off your love Doug glasses. This team tanked on his watch. We stunk in all three phases of the game. Dont you realize we lost 5 games in a row against the worst conf in BCS. What on earth makes you support failure? Trust me Doug either wins next year or he will be fired

You may be awake so take off your love Doug glasses. This team tanked on his watch. We stunk in all three phases of the game. Dont you realize we lost 5 games in a row against the worst conf in BCS. What on earth makes you support failure? Trust me Doug either wins next year or he will be fired

Actually, I don't trust you. My sense is that you don't have a clue when you say, " Trust me Doug either wins next year or he will be fired."

Nothing personal, mind you.

I'm not in love with Marrone and I am not convinced that he's the long term answer.

However, I do feel:

1. That SU teams / programs seem to do better with SU people in charge (i.e, basketball and lacrosse)
2. That Marrone is a smart guy.
3. That the latest, greatest, hottest coaches aren't always able to translate that into success at the next highest level (e.g. Rich Rodriguez)
4. That SU's problems are many. When Mac raised the program up there were a lot fewer alternatives for players in the East and the Dome was brand, spanking new.

I believe that Marrone has got a very long rope and that your projection of next year being his final year if he doesn't win is just wrong.

Should it be? Who knows. I've been around a long, long time and have watched SU and SU sports for a long time and I'm telling you that Marrone will be here at least two more years regardless.

Actually, I don't trust you. My sense is that you don't have a clue when you say, " Trust me Doug either wins next year or he will be fired."

Nothing personal, mind you.

I'm not in love with Marrone and I am not convinced that he's the long term answer.

However, I do feel:

1. That SU teams / programs seem to do better with SU people in charge (i.e, basketball and lacrosse)
2. That Marrone is a smart guy.
3. That the latest, greatest, hottest coaches aren't always able to translate that into success at the next highest level (e.g. Rich Rodriguez)
4. That SU's problems are many. When Mac raised the program up there were a lot fewer alternatives for players in the East and the Dome was brand, spanking new.

I believe that Marrone has got a very long rope and that your projection of next year being his final year if he doesn't win is just wrong.

Should it be? Who knows. I've been around a long, long time and have watched SU and SU sports for a long time and I'm telling you that Marrone will be here at least two more years regardless.
If Doug has another season like this one he will be fired

The comparisons to Coach Mac are valid. Might be a different age, but it is the same ingredients that determine success. It took Mac several years to make a dramatic change in recruiting. But at least by his 4th year (1984) he had produced a definite upgrade in the quality of recruits. You can see it in the roster -- I happen to have the SU/Nebraska program. The building blocks were in place in the F and RF players on the roster -- essentially Mac's 3rd and 4th year recruiting classes.
Mac talked special teams all the time. Sure you can find some examples of bad plays, but we weren't losing on specials the way we were this year.
The questions for Marrone are whether he is starting to win head to head battles for talent that our rivals are after; and whether he can fix obvious problems, for example, accept the importance of specials and do something about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom